Author Topic: The Holmes, Garrison Lane  (Read 21848 times)

coventrykid

The Holmes, Garrison Lane
« on: February 20, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »
Hi, Does anyone have any memories/photos of these old flats?
I was employed by the council to run a summer play scheme there in 1978 and met some really nice people.  The place was run down at the time but I believe it has been improved now. 
I am under the impression that they were one of the first blocks of flats built in Birmingham, maybe in the 1920's?
Hope to get some feedback! ::)

planetmalc

Re: The Holmes, Garrison Lane
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »
PM'd you.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
Anne

The way I understand it is that they were built to house the families of the nearby Garrison and yes they were the first blocks of flats to be built in Birmingham. Now how much truth there is to either of these facts I cant quite say.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

coventrykid

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »
Thankyou Phil!
I love the photos-esp. the third one which makes them look like model homes!
Interesting information-I found a site about the history of Aston and environs which said they were built as part of the 'slum' clearance.  I like the 'garrison' theory -I'll try to find out more!
Best wishes,
Anne

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »
Anne according to the book People History & Change in Birmingham's Heartlands by Elizabeth Frostick & Lucy Harland. The 180 3 storey Flats being the first Municipal flats in Birmingham were built in 1925 to help with slum clearance as housing shortage was so severe they couldn't demolish any houses until new houses were built.

The new tenants of these flats called them "The Mansions" and they were built on local wasteland but each had their own bathroom and boiler.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

coventrykid

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:24:52 PM »
Thankyou Phil!
Very interesting information.  That's a really good photo as well.

planetmalc

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
One incident has always stayed in my mind.  We were going to Dudley Zoo on a trip.  The night before a sweet little lad asked, 'Will we see grass-real grass?'  It still moves me until this day!

I'm a bit surprised at this 'cos the flats were built right next to the railway, which had loads of grass on its embankments, and this wasn't at all difficult to see from a number of vantage points around there.        Maybe he wasn't very adventurous.

Regarding the 'first Municipal flats' claim: this may well be, but I've seen a similar claim made for a small group of properties that used to stand on the north side of Wright Street (Small Heath), about halfway between Muntz Street and Grange Road.       They were years older than the Garrison Lane flats and had wrought-iron railings on their first-floor balconies.       They were listed at one time, but that didn't save them from the bulldozer when the Muntz Street area was redeveloped.        The claim may rest on semantics: the Wright Street properties might have been classed as 'houses' or 'maisonettes', rather than flats.

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
Yes Malc

I was a bit taken aback at this statement as well, as besides the railway embankment and obviously the nearby parks didn't St Andrews back on to the flats. I understand they have grass there.

As far as the claim to be the first municipal flats, that could be true, were the properties you name in Muntz St built by the Council they might have just been taken over later. The book I quoted mentions properties in Milk St being built in 1898 that is some 27 years before Garrison Lane. I would imagine they were also built privately because I hardly see the authors saying that Garrison Lane was first and then disproving it on the same page.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

coventrykid

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 06:48:25 PM »

I'm a bit surprised at this 'cos the flats were built right next to the railway, which had loads of grass on its embankments, and this wasn't at all difficult to see from a number of vantage points around there.        Maybe he wasn't very adventurous.

Regarding the 'first Municipal flats' claim: this may well be, but I've seen a similar claim made for a small group of properties that used to stand on the north side of Wright Street (Small Heath), about halfway between Muntz Street and Grange Road.       They were years older than the Garrison Lane flats and had wrought-iron railings on their first-floor balconies.       They were listed at one time, but that didn't save them from the bulldozer when the Muntz Street area was redeveloped.        The claim may rest on semantics: the Wright Street properties might have been classed as 'houses' or 'maisonettes', rather than flats.

Thanks for the information.
The lad was tiny and no one took him anywhere.

coventrykid

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »
Yes Malc

I was a bit taken aback at this statement as well, as besides the railway embankment and obviously the nearby parks didn't St Andrews back on to the flats. I understand they have grass there.

As far as the claim to be the first municipal flats, that could be true, were the properties you name in Muntz St built by the Council they might have just been taken over later. The book I quoted mentions properties in Milk St being built in 1898 that is some 27 years before Garrison Lane. I would imagine they were also built privately because I hardly see the authors saying that Garrison Lane was first and then disproving it on the same page.

Phil

The stadium doesn't 'back on to the flats'.  Yes, you are correct in your belief there is 'grass there'.
I quoted what was said.  I don't need anyone to be 'taken aback'.
Lots of things are said by people on this forum which  surprise me a great deal, but as moderator you will remember that we should show respect for each other, so I don't feel the need to put ironic remarks.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:36:35 PM »
Anne

I wasn't being ironic as I had never heard anyone from Birmingham remark that they had never seen real grass before seriously. I have often heard the remark made in joke. I'm sorry if  you thought I was disrespectful because that was not my intent. Though I must point out that the stadium does indeed back on to the flats as can plainly be seen in this photo.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy