Author Topic: old bus station  (Read 9616 times)

alan thompson

old bus station
« on: February 24, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »
Has anyone on here got any pics of the old bus station down by the markets? Would be grateful.
When was it built and what is in now?

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: old bus station
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
Hi Alan

Welcome to the forum, I suppose you are talking about the bus station that was in Edgbaston Street below the Bull Ring Centre? Well I would think that opened in about 1962 with the new Bull Ring (the 1960's one). I do not use Birmingham City Centre now so I can't tell you much other than I think the bus station has long gone.

Phil
Make Love Not War

alan thompson

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
Thanks mate-brings back memories.
Like the pics!

SENSIBLE

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:13:18 PM »
Hi Alan

Welcome to the forum, I suppose you are talking about the bus station that was in Edgbaston Street below the Bull Ring Centre? Well I would think that opened in about 1962 with the new Bull Ring (the 1960's one). I do not use Birmingham City Centre now so I can't tell you much other than I think the bus station has long gone.

Phil

Nice pics Phil.  :)

The bus station in the Birmingham Bullring Centre opened in 1963 and closed 20th June 1999.

Sensi
Let your smile change the world, but donít let the world change your smile

alan thompson

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
Thanks mate! O0

bookworm

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »
Oh it was lovely to see the old bus station! Smelly and noisy as it was I still miss it.

tony armstrong

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
am i getting that old i can remember when it was the new bus station. :(

trapio

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
tony,

Don't worry mate, the only bus station I can remember was in Digbeth and it had coaches from all over the country, lines like 'Royal Blue' as well as Midland Red. O0 ...I never saw the 'new Bull Ring' of the 60s that has also gone....I left in 1959 and have never been back...

trapio
Integrity is non negotiable

tony armstrong

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
hi trapio i can remember the rebuilding in 1962 walking past hall of memory heading towards the art museum there were viewing points in the hoardings and you could watch workers digging into the depths of what must have been old brum,just like they are talking about again :-\

townie

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
Hi Yes i remember the old Midland Red bus station in the bull ring But does anybody remember the little cafe in the corner just before you went into the market.
Dennis.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

planetmalc

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »
Hi Yes i remember the old Midland Red bus station in the bull ring But does anybody remember the little cafe in the corner just before you went into the market.
Dennis.

Sure do, but I'm damned if I can remember the name.   I really liked the previous Bull Ring Centre 'cos it was set up for the working class (which is most of us) and was stuffed full of sensible shops.    Today's tinsel-and-glitter replacement is just some architect's wet dream and is mostly a waste of space.  :-\
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.