Author Topic: old bus station  (Read 15305 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: old bus station
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »
The bus station in the 1980's it must be before the makeover that Roy has mentioned. It looks like it was badly in need of a touch of paint.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »
The bus station in the 1980's it must be before the makeover that Roy has mentioned. It looks like it was badly in need of a touch of paint.
Every time I see a picture I can remember how the place smelled  :D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2019, 01:32:13 PM »

Yes that's always going to be a problem with a closed in bus depot, and probably why the the National Express depot in Digbeth has no roof.
Make Love Not War

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »

fumes and peeeeee
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
This photo has to be after 1981 because I'm pretty sure that when the WMPTE took over the running of Midland Red buses in the West Midlands area.
Make Love Not War

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2019, 07:49:57 PM »
This photo has to be after 1981 because I'm pretty sure that when the WMPTE took over the running of Midland Red buses in the West Midlands area.

hi phil im pretty sure that wmpte never took over midlandred it was an independent compony it may have took over some of the routs when midlandred got split up you had midred south north  west  each become an independent compony it still had the same name midland red  midland red was took over by stagecoach bagerline then firstbus  and now first bus sold out midredwest to diamond buses 

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2019, 08:49:37 PM »
Roy

You are probably correct as I know nothing about buses and their running. I just remember that midland Red split up in 1981 and that there was not much chance of a WMPTE bus being seen in that particular bus station before that. Myself I used a bus for the first time in Birmingham last year since 1983 and it was probably 15 years again before I used a bus before that. So one Birmingham bus in 51 years hardly makes me an expert.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2019, 12:34:51 PM »

hi phil im pretty sure that wmpte never took over midlandred it was an independent compony it may have took over some of the routs when midlandred got split up you had midred south north  west  each become an independent compony it still had the same name midland red  midland red was took over by stagecoach bagerline then firstbus  and now first bus sold out midredwest to diamond buses
Interesting. I remember them changing from Midland Red to WMPTE for my routes, but Midland Red still seemed to do the more rural routes. 

JudithM

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2019, 12:35:46 PM »

fumes and peeeeee

;D ;D ;D

I was going to go with oil & diesel, but yeah!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »

hi [font=&amp]
JudithMwhat happened was midland red had a lot of routs in and out of Birmingham when privatisation come about a lot of small bus compony  put in tenders for the routs  and cheaper bus fairs this was the out come midlandred decided to give up some of the routs  and west mids and other compony  took them over  it was about bums on seats and profits  west mid used to pay the bus compony to carry the o.a.p bus pass  but midland red found it still could not make it pay so it handed in some of the routs that did not pay that was the beginning of the end of midland red  it then sold off a lot of its garages   ie bearwood and such like   it done much the same with its coaches  then national express then took over and subcontracted the work out to other coach componeys then midlandred sold off it Carlyle work where it used to build its own buses that was the final nail in the coffin for midland red  that's what it said in a book that I got from the library a few years back 

JudithM

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »
hi [font=&amp]
JudithMwhat happened was midland red had a lot of routs in and out of Birmingham when privatisation come about a lot of small bus compony  put in tenders for the routs  and cheaper bus fairs this was the out come midlandred decided to give up some of the routs  and west mids and other compony  took them over  it was about bums on seats and profits  west mid used to pay the bus compony to carry the o.a.p bus pass  but midland red found it still could not make it pay so it handed in some of the routs that did not pay that was the beginning of the end of midland red  it then sold off a lot of its garages   ie bearwood and such like   it done much the same with its coaches  then national express then took over and subcontracted the work out to other coach componeys then midlandred sold off it Carlyle work where it used to build its own buses that was the final nail in the coffin for midland red  that's what it said in a book that I got from the library a few years back

Sounds about right.  It would make sense for a company to only want to take on the more profitable routes.