Author Topic: old bus station  (Read 8636 times)

Gee Gee

Re: old bus station
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 03:32:34 PM »
Used to love that little corner cafe.A well used meeting place and then a treck around town.
What was the name.?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
Would it be the  York-Jones Milk Bar that would be the last unit before entering the Midland Red bus station in the 60's. I don't remember it, but it would have been by the escalators leading from Edgbaston Street up to the shopping mall.

The only thing I remember around there was a booth where you could make a record, we used to cram about six of us in and sing our heads off. Another thing I remember was if you turned right when you entered the bus station through the doors next to the booth. Over in the corner was a cabin where you could get a hot drink and a sandwich when the bus station first opened, but I don't think it lasted very long.
Make Love Not War

planetmalc

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »
Would it be the  York-Jones Milk Bar that would be the last unit before entering the Midland Red bus station in the 60's. I don't remember it, but it would have been by the escalators leading from Edgbaston Street up to the shopping mall.

As you came down the escalator, the Milk Bar was at the bottom, facing you (just a glorified counter, really).    The metal-and-glass doors on the right of it took you into the bus station.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Gee Gee

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »
I was thinking of the corner cafe,near the exit of the market,a door would then give you entrance to the bottom of the stairs/escalators.

greenbrummie

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »
I was thinking of the corner cafe,near the exit of the market,a door would then give you entrance to the bottom of the stairs/escalators.

I remember that Gee Gee late 70s   a place to meet friends coming in to town by a different bus  or a very quick cuppa if you'd missed your bus.       I had a very frightening experience here around that time .    The bus station was not a good place for girls to wait about  on their own there. and the cafe /booth was a haven on that occasion.

There was also at one time a milk bar place just inside the market alongside the escalator, and opposite the newsagents which was on the right as you came into market .

planetmalc

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 05:12:52 PM »
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

stevekent

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
hi i remember the old bus station in the bullring and the little snack bar in the corner i used to help the two ladies keep the area clean after people had dropped rubbish on the floor and in return they used to give me pasties etc and drinks of tea the ladies were called mary i think was a west indian lady and the younger girl was called cathy i have been trying for years to find them but with no luck if any one ie family members or friend of theirs i would love to hear from you kind regards steve.

stevekent

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »
hi i remember the old bus station in the #bullring and the little snack bar in the corner i used to help the two ladies keep the area clean after people had dropped rubbish on the floor and in return they used to give me pasties etc and drinks of tea the ladies were called mary i think was a west indian lady and the younger girl was called cathy i have been trying for years to find them but with no luck if any one ie family members or friend of theirs i would love to hear from you kind regards steve.

countrylad

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »
Great pictures of he old bus station. I would catch bus bus from there back to Chelmsley wood on a Saturday, usually with a bag of tropical fish. The street around the side of the station had the Jacey pictures if I remember rightly.

Scipio

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 08:56:05 PM »

Great pictures of he old bus station. I would catch bus bus from there back to Chelmsley wood on a Saturday, usually with a bag of tropical fish. The street around the side of the station had the Jacey pictures if I remember rightly.

The fish Countrylad , did you get them from the old market or Pimms

countrylad

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 11:08:51 PM »

The fish Countrylad , did you get them from the old market or Pimms
Hello Scipio, I got them from the market that was built early 60's. However I got them from three places. There were Pimms on the ground floor, near to the side entrance to Woolies.  There was Pimms on the first floor, by the escalator that led to the tunnel that went to the Rotunda.

On the way out of the ground floor market, (Woolies was just up the street) There was another stall that sold tropical fish and fishing tackle. It's been spoken about on another thread but can't remember the names ( Kents springs to mind)

Of course sometimes I would buy cockles or shrimps from Old fish market too. Never jellied eels though.

Did you have tropical fish?
Countrylad