Author Topic: old bus station  (Read 9627 times)

astoness

Re: old bus station
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 02:20:02 AM »
Would it be the  York-Jones Milk Bar that would be the last unit before entering the Midland Red bus station in the 60's. I don't remember it, but it would have been by the escalators leading from Edgbaston Street up to the shopping mall.

The only thing I remember around there was a booth where you could make a record, we used to cram about six of us in and sing our heads off. Another thing I remember was if you turned right when you entered the bus station through the doors next to the booth. Over in the corner was a cabin where you could get a hot drink and a sandwich when the bus station first opened, but I don't think it lasted very long.

a mate of mine made a record in that booth in the 60s phil and had still got it O0

lyn

JudithM

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
Oh it was lovely to see the old bus station! Smelly and noisy as it was I still miss it.

I still remember the smell, it comes back to me every time I see pictures  :D  Even now that it has long gone, when I see the location & remember it I remember the smell too  ::) :P
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »
Some more images of the old bus depot, a couple of the inside and one of the entrance and another of the exit.
Make Love Not War

Scipio

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »
I only went there a couple of times , the only thing that comes to mind is the overpowering smell of diesel.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 09:21:18 PM »

this is how I remember it

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

JudithM

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
I only went there a couple of times , the only thing that comes to mind is the overpowering smell of diesel.
Diesel with a generous helping of engine oil.....

JudithM

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »
this is how I remember it

:)

I remember there being no seats either for when you were waiting for a bus & trying to sit on the lower rung of the railings if we had to wait a long time & getting a numb bum!

Scipio

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 09:19:27 PM »

I remember there being no seats either for when you were waiting for a bus & trying to sit on the lower rung of the railings if we had to wait a long time & getting a numb bum!

As well as numb nostrils

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2018, 11:15:13 PM »

But there were seats and rubbish bins when it first opened as this previously posted image of the station before it opened shows. It even had a snack bar for a short while as well.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »

But there were seats and rubbish bins when it first opened as this previously posted image of the station before it opened shows. It even had a snack bar for a short while as well.
Interesting, I can't remember the seats.  They were either taken out at a later date, or were always already occupied when I was waiting for buses there.   I remember there being bins, and I can remember a café type place where you went in from the Bull Ring side, but seats I can't remember.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
Judith

I don't think the seats lasted very long, I suppose they were vandalised.
Make Love Not War