Author Topic: old bus station  (Read 11908 times)

JudithM

Re: old bus station
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 12:46:26 PM »
Judith

I don't think the seats lasted very long, I suppose they were vandalised.

Shame.  Still, it was fun using the rails to spin round on like gymnastics bars when I was little  ::)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

fnafboy10

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2018, 08:38:42 AM »
what is it now?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »
what is it now?

Hi fnafboy10, welcome to the forum, the last time I was down that way part of the bus depot had been demolished and the other had been converted. The part in Edgbaston Street had been demolished and replaced by Debenhams and the other side of the Ringway in Dudley Street had become TK MAX
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2018, 01:18:58 PM »

Hi fnafboy10, welcome to the forum, the last time I was down that way part of the bus depot had been demolished and the other had been converted. The part in Edgbaston Street had been demolished and replaced by Debenhams and the other side of the Ringway in Dudley Street had become TK MAX
I didn't think it had been demolished, just incorporated into the new builds & used as their delivery bays?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2018, 03:03:25 PM »
I didn't think it had been demolished, just incorporated into the new builds & used as their delivery bays?

Judith

I have no first hand knowledge to dispute what you say, I am going solely by the look of what stands there today. I never even entered Birmingham center whilst the demolition and rebuilding was taking place. In fact I have only just recently seen part of what replaced my boyhood haunts.

These two images show the entrance to the bus station in Dudley Street on the western side of the Ringway in a sort of before and after theme, not that much change.
Make Love Not War

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2018, 03:06:30 PM »
Now on the other side of the Ringway, there are quite a few changes the the Edgbaston Street exit. A little bit more than can be put down to renovation and upgrading in my opinion.
Make Love Not War

mikejee

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2018, 10:15:38 PM »
I think it is possiible that there are delivery bays in part of the same place as was the bus station, but I would not have thought that any of the actual structure remains. did see some photos of the demolition which seemed to completely demoliosh the whole structure of the old bull ring, but not sure if I saved them. Will have a look and see

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »
Mike

As I said I'm pretty sure that on the the Dudley Street side of the Ringway it is more or less as it wa with no external alterations, its the Edgbaston Street side that has been altered.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2018, 01:09:29 PM »
Mike

As I said I'm pretty sure that on the the Dudley Street side of the Ringway it is more or less as it wa with no external alterations, its the Edgbaston Street side that has been altered.
Looks like you're right about the Debenhams side of it.  I'm obviously mis-remembering exactly where that entrance/exit to the bus depot was.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2018, 02:25:14 PM »
Looks like you're right about the Debenhams side of it.  I'm obviously mis-remembering exactly where that entrance/exit to the bus depot was.

Judith

On checking I see that Mike was right when he said that he thought that everything on the Edgbaston Street side of the depot had been demolished down to ground level at least. This can be see from the image I am posting, Edgbaston Street runs along the bottom left quadrant of the photo and it can be seen that everything is flat up to the ringway.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2018, 01:25:48 PM »
That's a great picture!