Author Topic: Gooch Street & Cox Street West, Birmingham  (Read 13341 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Gooch Street & Cox Street West, Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »
Mike

I think quite a few houses on that side of the road were bombed out during the war. The site of number 15 was a vacant site for as long as I can remember. I can find no photo in the later images of Cox st West that I have either.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bookworm

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 09:05:19 PM »
Hello EJNorth. I must jump in to say how much I loved your quote of how you like to "add leaves and blossom to the trees and branches", what a lovely way to put it!
 Please never stop your family research and you are on the right Forum for help about all things Birmingham.

alanmillard

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »
Mike

I think you may have cropped the photo a little tight, as the numbers on Cox St West were sequential and number 87 would have been the house before Avotex that you have cropped out of the photo. As you can see on my copy of your photo.

Phil
Hi phil are you sure the photo is of Gooch st as i don't remember the number 19 bus running along Gooch st of course i could be wrong as the brain aint what it used to be. alan

EJNorth

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 09:21:44 AM »
Hello EJNorth. I must jump in to say how much I loved your quote of how you like to "add leaves and blossom to the trees and branches", what a lovely way to put it!
 Please never stop your family research and you are on the right Forum for help about all things Birmingham.

Hi Bookworm - thanks. I have always treated genealogy as a bit of a journey into the past rather than just names and dates. In a way, it forms part of who we all are today!

Mike, Phil - thanks again for your time and an insight into your wonderful local knowledge. I'll be back with a list of other places at some point ! :D

Emma

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »
Hi phil are you sure the photo is of Gooch st as i don't remember the number 19 bus running along Gooch st of course i could be wrong as the brain aint what it used to be. alan

Alan,

I don't remember the city circle 19 at all but I don't think it ran the length of Gooch St only the top end Gooch St North, It probably then ran along Sherlock St back in the direction of the town.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

enod j

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »
Re: sydney tieger.

My grandafather 'Jack' Beasley worked as a tailor in Cox street West until about 1970.  The business J C Beasley and son was started by his father.  Sydney Tieger worked with him.  I remember him as a trouser maker and as a kid I would regularly take items to his workshops for making up.  He was quite a character.

I'm looking for any photos of the shop: J C Beasley & Son's shop in Cox st West.

[email protected]

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 06:49:54 AM »
I WAS A TELEGRAM BOY AT GOOCH STREET POST OFFICE 1951/1952 /MANY MEMORIES / OBSERVED THE 1ST iNDIANS ARRIVING INBALSALL
HEATH  ALL NAMED SINGH/USED TO CREATE SOME PROBLEMS / ;D

vauxonion

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »

Alan,

I don't remember the city circle 19 at all but I don't think it ran the length of Gooch St only the top end Gooch St North, It probably then ran along Sherlock St back in the direction of the town.

Phil

19 never went into town not quite sure of the route but went up Lee Bank across Holloway Head down Granville St across Broad St Down Sheepcote St along St Vincent St and up Price St and through the Jewelery Quarter.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
Hi Dek

As I said. I didn't remember the number 19 service, but where did it go to after it came down Gooch St North did it turn left toward the city or right toward Edgbaston?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »
Phil I can,t remember the exact route that side of town but I do know it came aceoos from Lawley St to Digbeth assuming it came down Gt Barr St,now wheather it turned up and went down Alcester St or down and along Rea St I,m not sure but I have a memory of bus stops in Mc Donald St perhaps it went straight across at Sherlock St.Dek

planetmalc

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 03:36:40 PM »
Phil I can,t remember the exact route that side of town but I do know it came aceoos from Lawley St to Digbeth assuming it came down Gt Barr St,now wheather it turned up and went down Alcester St or down and along Rea St I,m not sure but I have a memory of bus stops in Mc Donald St perhaps it went straight across at Sherlock St.Dek

I've never been on the #19 (too late now  :-\ ) but, from memory, I think it left Deritend at Adderley Street.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy