Author Topic: Gooch Street & Cox Street West, Birmingham  (Read 13369 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Gooch Street & Cox Street West, Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »
malc

I think we have all missed it now, I hope there is still no one waiting for it!
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jacko

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
The 19 city circle bus ran along Alcester St down Macdonald St, across Sherlock St and up Wrentham St, Then turned right along Bristol St, then left up Gt Colmore St turned right at Cregoe St  up to Bath Row. I'm afraid that's the only part of the route I travelled as a child but it covers the initial enquiry, regards, John.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 06:08:11 PM »
Jacko thanks for the info.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
I found a 1951 bus routes map, and in those days the #19 bus went:-

Alcester Street  -  Vaughton Street  -  Gooch Street  -  Wrentham Street  -  Bristol Street  -  Great Colmore Street  -  Cregoe Street  -  Granville Street  -  Broad Street  -  Sheepcote Street  -  St. Vincent Street  -  Summer Hill Street  -  Powell Street  -  Albion Street  -  Frederick Street  -  Vyse Street  -  Well Street  -  New John Street West  -  New John Street  -  Aston Road  -  Dartmouth Street  -  Lawley Street  -  Watery Lane  -  Adderley Street  -  Deritend.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

vauxonion

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 07:29:28 PM »

19 never went into town not quite sure of the route but went up Lee Bank across Holloway Head down Granville St across Broad St Down Sheepcote St along St Vincent St and up Powell St and through the Jewelery Quarter.Dek

chrisgee

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 10:45:02 PM »
Re: sydney tieger.

My grandafather 'Jack' Beasley worked as a tailor in Cox street West until about 1970.  The business J C Beasley and son was started by his father.  Sydney Tieger worked with him.  I remember him as a trouser maker and as a kid I would regularly take items to his workshops for making up.  He was quite a character.

I'm looking for any photos of the shop: J C Beasley & Son's shop in Cox st West.

Had to add a little bit of hopefully useful info. My first job was  at  Clifton & Sons in Cox St West. Great fun pushing a steel rimmed handcart on a cobbled street. Earlier in my time in Balsall Heath I worked as a tailor's runner for an establishment on the side backing on to Jakeman Walk. (not a very sweet smelling place) this may or may not have been the tailor referred to? I can't recall any of the names of the workers . I recall a row of shops on the Jakeman walk side up until a bomb peck from where you could cross over into The Walk then a bit further up afew more houses. On the other side I remember mainly houses apart from Clifton's Builders yard, as you got to the junction of Lit Clevedon Rd Uppr Cox St and Lincoln St you would notice more and more American cars they parked them wherever they could find space.

Lesleyanngroves

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 03:18:03 PM »
Hi there. I have just joined and have been reading your post about Cox street west.
My dad had his wedding suit made by your grandad " Jack Beasely". My mum's family lived at no. 9 Cox street west and my great gran at no.8. Their names were Fitzgerald (9) and Adams (8). I remember my grandad taking me to Mrs Keites ( no sure of spelling) for sweets. It's so lovely to find people who remember these people and places.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 03:38:18 PM »
Lesleyann,

If you look at the date on these posts you will see some of them are from five and six years ago and that the posters probably haven't logged on to the forum in as many years. So don't be surprised if you don't receive a reply. Although all the posters except one that has passed away are still current members so anything is possible if they are still using the same email address they joined with and they left their notifications open in their profile you might yet get an answer.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 04:16:51 PM »
My Aunty & Uncle owned Bradburys Leather Goods inCox Street West inthe 50sbut lived just of the Coventry Rd by the Clock pub.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy