Author Topic: Owen Street-- Bath Row  (Read 24374 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Owen Street-- Bath Row
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »
Looking up Owen Street from Wheeleys Lane in 1960 shortly before the street was demolished, with the Welcome Inn just visible on the right.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

robx52

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 12:25:40 PM »
I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Owen st  In the 50s/60s surname Jordon.

Mal

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 04:26:15 PM »
I can remember a family called Jordan , but I couldn’t say what number they lived at , we resided at 45 Owen St

robx52

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »
I could'nt say what number they lived at even though i stayed there with my older brother for a while 1961/62.

I remember they had 2 girls and 2 boys.

Mal

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 05:05:02 PM »
Hi again , we left Owen St in 1963 , there were a lot of empty houses in the street then , we moved to Quinton , never the same though , I continued going to Lea Mason , until I left in 1967.

robx52

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »
My memory of staying there is very vauge. I remeber there was a lot of snow and the house was very cold. In the attic where we slept there was a fire escape, a thin piece of plaster board you had to kick through to get into the house next door. I know the Jordons moved to Balsal Heath.

Mal

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 05:58:52 PM »
Me my sister and mom & dad all slept in the first floor bedroom, as the attic wasn’t any use to man or beast. Always cold , in the winter you could scrape the frost from the inside of the windows and snail trails across the floor .

robx52

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 09:46:47 PM »
It's making me shiver just thinking about it.

Scipio

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
My memory of staying there is very vauge. I remeber there was a lot of snow and the house was very cold. In the attic where we slept there was a fire escape, a thin piece of plaster board you had to kick through to get into the house next door. I know the Jordons moved to Balsal Heath.

Rob we had one of those fire escapes in Springfield St off Monument Rd . That was where we were before we moved into William St off Granville St , thinking about those houses now I'd doubt they'd pass health and safety or whatever they have to pass nowadays to make them liveable
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Our Kid

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 10:34:22 AM »
I’m coming late to the table but I spent my first seven years in Owen St. (No 22). I remember walking to school up Wheeleys Lane past the bottling plant. I remember also sledding down Cleve Terrace. In the winter of ‘47 we had a week off school because of the snow and ice. My Auntie Agnes lived in the same courtyard. Looking at the photos now makes it seem grim but we didn’t know any better and were happy. One year we had a bonfire but the Fire Brigade came around and put it out. We always thought of it as Edgbaston so I don’t know where Ladywood came from.

john baker

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 10:13:51 PM »
hi maureen my name is john baker and i lived at number 13 owen st next to the bowmans, i remember pat and delia well and also their mom used to work at the futurist cinema whereby she had a free pass and mrs mallon who lived at the back took me to see loads of films. my mom and dad were both deaf and i have 5 sisters. i would like to know if there are any of my friends are still alive. i am 76 now which pat bowman would probably be as well.       I moved to pelsall walsall in 1967. any information would be gratefully received
 :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy