Author Topic: Owen Street-- Bath Row  (Read 24377 times)

Our Kid

Re: Owen Street-- Bath Row
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2019, 09:15:27 AM »
I visited Birmingham briefly last year for the first time since leaving in 1955. Much has changed but much remains. Having grown up in Owen St near Bath Row I walked up Wheeleys lane but found no sign of Owen St. I don’t know how the numbers worked but our address was 22 although we were in the nearest courtyard to the Lane and had an entrance from that side. My sister used to sleep in the attic and she remembers people going to the pub across the street.  Also went to Balsall Heath where both my Grannie Owen and Great Grannie Woodward lived in terraces off Highgate St.(One was called Roshven). Both gone now of course but Conybere St and Gooch St were as I remember them although the corner pub and the Triangle cinema have been lost.

I am glad I had the chance to see Brum again but I’ve been too long in the bush to put up with that traffic again.

townie

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
Apart from the traffic how did you find Birmingham with all the new development?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Our Kid

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2019, 10:04:27 AM »
Interesting in parts but the city centre was a bit of a mess. There was a Brexit protest going on while we were there so it was pretty hectic. There were more green areas than I remembered like Balsall Heath Rd but Mosely Rd was much the same. Good pub on the hill.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2019, 10:54:19 AM »
Interesting in parts but the city centre was a bit of a mess. There was a Brexit protest going on while we were there so it was pretty hectic. There were more green areas than I remembered like Balsall Heath Rd but Mosely Rd was much the same. Good pub on the hill.

Which pub on the hill was that, I can't think of many pubs on Moseley Road at all now I think there are only two now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Our Kid

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2019, 05:11:35 AM »
Can’t remember the name of the pub but everyone was calling the area “Mosely Village”. It was a cheerful, busy place with very good food. Couldn’t find any [censored] and peas which was disappointing, obviously didn’t go to the right places.

Our Kid

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2019, 05:13:12 AM »
What was wrong with [censored]? We’re not in the US.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2019, 12:02:06 PM »
Our Kid

The forums software has an automatic word censor that filters out many words that have dual meanings.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Our Kid

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2019, 11:12:40 PM »
Thanks Phil. I was referring of course to the rissole like delicacy that we used to enjoy before Wimpey and Maccas came along.

Charlesmaype

Owen Street Bath Row
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2019, 01:46:58 AM »
and its understood that I will not only get my trailer out and go pick it but I will put it someplace warm and dry til we can hook up to get it to ya .....but christ man Nebo is damn near in Springfield........

Alberta

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2019, 06:50:27 AM »
I think the last poster has strayed into Birmingham UK instead of USA.

Ashleigh

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2020, 04:25:16 PM »
Hi all I’ve been going through this forum and seeing the old photos of Owens street and my Grandad used to live at no:44 Owens street. He can remember the Perry’s and the Deaf couple, and how the street used to have bonfires out in the street. If anyone remembers the Parrack family (Irene, Peter...children Peter, Rita and Sylvia.
It would be lovely to hear about his neighbours and everything they all got upto.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy