Author Topic: Birmingham Trams  (Read 62675 times)

planetmalc

Re: Birmingham Trams
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2014, 03:07:43 PM »
Found this pic of tram at Pype Hayes..

Malc.

That particular tram terminus shelter remained in existence for years after the trams had all gone.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Sarah Hutchings

« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:13 AM »
JUST AFTER THE WAR MY AUNTY WORKED ON THE BIRMINGHAM TRAMS AS A CONDUCTRESS. SHE WAS ON THE 37 ROUTE FROM CANNON HILL PARK TO HILL STREET IN THE CITY CENTRE. WE USED TO GET ON HER BUS SOMETIMES. FROM CANNON HILL PARK TO BALSALL HEATH ROAD THE FARE WAS A PENNY IN THE OLD MONEY 1d.

Sarah Hutchings

« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:43 AM »
So did my grandma from alcester lanes end terminus

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2016, 10:29:24 AM »
Hi Sarah

Welcome to the forum, what part of Birmingham did you originate from?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

1malcolm1

« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2021, 09:49:40 AM »
Hi all,

Have a look at the attached city centre tram track layouts - I think Mike is right, the tracks came out of Martineau Street into Corporation Street.  There is no sign of a track coming up Corporation Street from new Street.

Brian
no trams ever ran along new st ,or up corporation street from it ,

mike mancott

« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2021, 08:12:08 PM »
no trams ever ran along new st ,or up corporation street from it ,

Yes, the numbers 6 (?Aston), 8 and 10 came along Dale End, turned right into Martineau Street, unloaded and loaded, turned right into Corporation Street, the 10 turned right into (lower?) Bull Street, then left back into Dale End. The 6 (and 8, I think) kept straight on going along Corporation Street, passing Lewis`s and the Old Square.
Happy travelling to school and back on the 10.
Mike
[size=78%]  [/size]

SENSIBLE

« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2021, 08:53:09 PM »
The tram tracks were dangerous for cyclists if their wheels got stuck or caught in them.
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2021, 11:37:26 PM »
Did it in Glasgow in1956 ;D ;D
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

1malcolm1

« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2021, 09:43:33 AM »

Yes, the numbers 6 (?Aston), 8 and 10 came along Dale End, turned right into Martineau Street, unloaded and loaded, turned right into Corporation Street, the 10 turned right into (lower?) Bull Street, then left back into Dale End. The 6 (and 8, I think) kept straight on going along Corporation Street, passing Lewis`s and the Old Square.
Happy travelling to school and back on the 10.
Mike
[size=78%]  [/size]

what i was getting at was no trams ran along new street ,no trams ever went down lower bull st ,did go down James watt st ,,trams coming up martineau st ,right turn into corparation st was the 3 and 3x aston cross /witton /six ways circular ,6 to perry barr ,7 to nechells ,8 to alum rock,9 to sladefeild road washwood heath ,10 to bromford lane washwood heath, 8,9,10 used james watt st /asted row to get to saltley and onward  ,7 used gt lister st to get to nechells ,(only depot link between nechells and saltley)

mike mancott

« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2021, 11:41:20 AM »

what i was getting at was no trams ran along new street ,no trams ever went down lower bull st ,did go down James watt st ,,trams coming up martineau st ,right turn into corparation st was the 3 and 3x aston cross /witton /six ways circular ,6 to perry barr ,7 to nechells ,8 to alum rock,9 to sladefeild road washwood heath ,10 to bromford lane washwood heath, 8,9,10 used james watt st /asted row to get to saltley and onward  ,7 used gt lister st to get to nechells ,(only depot link between nechells and saltley)

I did think, as I was dropping off to sleep last night, that I was wrong about lower Bull Street. The 8 and 10 turned off Corporation Street, to the right down a hill past a dairy, I think I remember, before facing city-bound trams in Ashted Row. I don`t remember the 7 or 9. I understood about trams not using New Street.

mike mancott

« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »
Did it in Glasgow in1956 ;D ;D

You meant, getting a wheel stuck in tram lines -- nothing else, otherwise, too much information. ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy