Author Topic: Birmingham Trams  (Read 62663 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham Trams
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
The Number 10 bus ran from Colmore Row to Quinton Rd West and I think it still does the same route today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2014, 05:35:55 PM »
Malc

Yes buses and trams did run for quite a while in tandem, as the first motor buses were used in Birmingham from 1914 and the trams continued to run until c1953.

Phil..

Quite right,  the last tram did finish in 1953, it ended up at Washwood       Heath Depot.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2014, 07:50:03 PM »
All off topic comments moved to new Millington St thread.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2014, 08:21:58 PM »
The official last tram was on the number 2 Erdington route and taken by car number 616 on July 4th 1953. This tram as most of the other ended up at Kyotts Lake Depot where it was cut up and then transported by road to W.T.Birds Scrapyard at Strastford upon Avon.

Where it was probably shunted out of the depot by the real last tram used on the roads of Birmingham car PW8 which drove out of the depot under it's own power on August 6th 1953 where it was loaded on to a low loader to be delivered to Stratford upon Avon.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2014, 11:07:25 PM »

townie..

The trams went as far as the Fox And Goose, this was the terminus. When I lived at Castle Bromwich in the 40s, there was a horse trough there, from the days of the horse drawn trams.
                                                                                    Malc.

cocacolakid When you lived in Castle Brom in the 40s did you ever go to town. If so did you have to walk to the Fox and Goose for the tram.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

cocacolakid

« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
cocacolakid When you lived in Castle Brom in the 40s did you ever go to town. If so did you have to walk to the Fox and Goose for the tram.

townie...

Yes we did go to town from time to time , we did not have to walk to the fox & Goose to get the tram into town. We caught the bus on the Colsehill Rd opposite Chipperfield Rd. In those days we could see right over to the Chester Rd from my back bedroom window, so my mother got me to look out for the bus, this gave us enough time to catch it opposite Chipperfield Rd.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »
Malc

Was that a Midland Red or a BCT bus?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2014, 10:54:24 AM »
Malc

Was that a Midland Red or a BCT bus?
[/quote]

Hi Phil..

It was a BCT bus, I have no idea now what number it would have been, so can't say where the route started and ended. I was very young at that time, I was only six when we left Castle Bromwich.  There may be other members who may have lived in the area and were older than me who may know more. There may be old bus route records available somewhere, too.

Malc.     

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
Malc

Would it have been the 28 bus? This paragraph is taken from Wikipedia.

Birmingham City Centre to the present 28B terminus in Small Heath then via Ward End, Bordesley Green, Castle Bromwich and Erdington to Kingstanding. In 1948 the route was extended to Great Barr as service 28A. Seven years later the route was then simplified to just route 28; from here on this started the grounds of the present 28 route to-date.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
Malc

Would it have been the 28 bus? This paragraph is taken from Wikipedia.

Birmingham City Centre to the present 28B terminus in Small Heath then via Ward End, Bordesley Green, Castle Bromwich and Erdington to Kingstanding. In 1948 the route was extended to Great Barr as service 28A. Seven years later the route was then simplified to just route 28; from here on this started the grounds of the present 28 route to-date.

Phil..

It could well be, Phil,  Number 28 does ring a bell  from somewhere, now you mention it, also the route you mention sounds as though it could be right, except that when we went to town on the bus, we went through Saltley, I remember one of the stops being called the "Gate" at Saltly, named after a pub, I think.

Malc.

cocacolakid

« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2014, 12:11:33 PM »
              Phil..

Found this info (see below) which goes along with the # 28 route you mentioned. So there must have been another bus that whent to Castle Brom via Saltley, as well.

Malc.       

Re: 28 bus route
   <blockquote>Just spoken to my Exhusband who did his 'routes' as a bus driver almost 50 years ago.
He recalls
The Markets Edgbaston Street to Small Heath
Golden hillock road,
St Benedicts Road
Green Lane
Belchers Lane
The Pelham
the Fox and Goose
Newport road
Chester road, Pype Hayes
turn left at the 'Pavilion'
right at Station road crossroads,
Erdington Red Lion
Short heath road
Kingstanding
Dyas Road Terminus. </blockquote>

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy