Author Topic: Birmingham Trams  (Read 62657 times)

Andy Capp

Birmingham Trams
« on: June 30, 2007, 09:01:16 PM »
JUST AFTER THE WAR MY AUNTY WORKED ON THE BIRMINGHAM TRAMS AS A CONDUCTRESS. SHE WAS ON THE 37 ROUTE FROM CANNON HILL PARK TO HILL STREET IN THE CITY CENTRE. WE USED TO GET ON HER BUS SOMETIMES. FROM CANNON HILL PARK TO BALSALL HEATH ROAD THE FARE WAS A PENNY IN THE OLD MONEY 1d.

Andy Capp

Re: Birmingham Trams
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 06:45:26 PM »
Birmingham trams

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 11:50:06 PM »
Andy Capp,
     Dunno if i have mentioned this before....if i have just give a big yawn. ;D

However dunno if my grandad ever drove the trams but when he retired in the early 50's he was in the evening mail as the longest serving bus driver driving since 1913 with the only break in his service during ww1 while driving in France.

Later years he drove the 27 bus serving Cadburys plus a bus for the hadicapped kids at Little Green Lane school in Small Heath.

Andy Capp

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 07:57:52 PM »
HI JACQUELINE
THERE IS A OLD SINGLE DECKER THAT USED TO RUN ON THE 27 ROUTE. IN BIRMINGHAM TRANSPORT MUSEUM AT WYTHALL. ANDY  CAPP :police:

frederick

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:11:35 PM »
the tram i remember is the one to the lickyhills i loved going on that tram i think that was the only tram i went on
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 12:39:39 AM »
Andy, Thanks for that and i might just take a walk around that museum. Silly mind because i used to live real close to it but never bothered. Ya never take notice of whats on your doorstep. >:(

I looked at the website and almost freaked at what i thought the charges were. Looked like 74 each adult. I then put hubbys specks on and noticed the first symbol was a question mark [must have been a keyboard error on their part] Hence i guess ir is 4 quid each and 3 quid on quiet days....well i hope it is.

tramp

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 08:12:56 PM »
Fred,

It was the 72 tram, and there'd be a very long queque around the corner for it on Bank Holidays, but it was my granddad's ''day out'', and I  lovrd it, even wen there must have been 90 odd people onboard.

frederick

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 08:35:55 PM »
tramp,

i remember us talking about the tram to the lickies.    O0

Graham

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »
tramp,

i remember us talking about the tram to the lickies.    O0

Fred,

Remember when we used to go to the Licky's on the tram, at the terminus there was a machine that you could stamp your name out on a metal strip? And there was a machine that told your fortune, your's read "Your life will come to a terrible end"! Will always remember that, put the s..ts up me, especially when you had that bad car crash at Tritiford. I thought it had come true then. Guess we've both got very strong guardian angels.

frederick

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 10:59:48 PM »
graham,

you have got a good memory i remember the metal strip machine but not the bit about the "terrible end" maybe i didn't want to remember that.    :-[

Graham

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 11:08:41 PM »
I thought that you would 'blank' it from your mind, I would too. But it so freaked me out at the time that it stuck in my head. Sorry for bringing it up, but don't worry, you've made it this far and death is nothing to be feared, it's just part of life. I should know I've been 'brought back' at least six times now!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy