Author Topic: West End Ballroom, Birmingham, does anyone remember it?  (Read 12946 times)

Chrissie_1

Re: West End Ballroom, Birmingham, does anyone remember it?
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »
I remember the West End.  I used to go there Saturday mornings and I remember the bouncy floor. I loved it there and it is one of my many happy memories of the 60's.  Everyone was doing the Twist untill the Twitch came out and I remember me giving it my all to be the first one to do this new dance!  God I thought I was good!!

Bari

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
Yes I remember the West End as I have said elsewhere on this forum. I also remember the fights inside and out that no one else seems to remember. Perhaps that is down to the fact that like Fred I wasn't old enough to get in until not long before it closed and was demolished.

These two photos are of different times, the one harks back to the 30's and 40's the other is more from later.

Phil
Oh yes, I remember it, The Troggs were belting out "I can't control myself" and me and my mates about 12 of us ended up in a mass brawl....happy days.
I think therefore I am

Bari

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »

Levi jeans when you had to boil them to get them to fit you, mohair suits, cuban heels, italian three quarter length coats
I think therefore I am

tony armstrong

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 03:47:33 PM »
i worked for sc larkins in livery st 1962/1965 i used go to the west end ballroom of a dinner time,i also remember going to a folk club in a pub roughly where toilets are at the side of the ramp leading to new st station.
                                                                                                    tony

Pitchkid303

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 08:20:47 PM »
I remember going to the West End Ballroom on a Sunday evening when they had live jazz - it was really funny to stand at the back of the floor when everyone was dancing as the floor was sprung, so you used to bounce up and down! Can anyone remember the name of the street that it was in?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2015, 08:56:11 PM »
Hi Pitchkid

Welcome to the forum, the West End was next door to the West End Cinema near the top of Suffolk St, more or less in the area of the Mailbox now. Easy Row was the continuation of Suffolk St after crossing Paradise St. The West End is marked number 1 in red on the map and Paradise St is marked 2 in red. I wasn't keen on the West End, but it was a good floor for jiving on.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »
Hi Pitchkid

As these posts were taking this thread off topic I have moved the latest posts to the topic "old hang outs remembered"
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 03:17:20 PM »
Before it was pull down I used to go there. I attended the Collage on the other side of the road and a couple of lads and my self would take our girl friends there.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Geoff Ashton

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 04:14:37 PM »
 :coolsmiley: Could any one tell me who was the DJ?

If any one don't know? I can give you a 100% answer with lots of info,

Q. Who am I?

Scipio

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2019, 11:06:58 PM »
:coolsmiley: Could any one tell me who was the DJ?

If any one don't know? I can give you a 100% answer with lots of info,

Q. Who am I?

I've only just noticed this post , I remember you only too well Geoff you used to spin the discs at the West End every Tuesday night when I was footloose and fancy free
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy