Author Topic: The Atlas  (Read 8611 times)

valens1

The Atlas
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:09:59 PM »
Hi
Anyone ever go to the Atlas...Once a Cinema then a type of Dance place.
Paul

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Atlas
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:29:40 PM »
Hi Paul

The Atlas on Flaxley Rd in Stechford was it? A little too far off my beaten track I'm afraid.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

speedy

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 08:35:09 PM »
Hi
Anyone ever go to the Atlas...Once a Cinema then a type of Dance place.
Paul
Hi paul you for got to mention bingo hall in the 60s speedy

blane

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:25:06 PM »
Hi  -  I remember taking my girlfriends there to watch wrestling on Friday nights,about 1960. ;) O0

netty 1960

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:45:03 PM »
I don"t remember the Atlas as a picture house only as a bingo hall , but i do remember the sweet shop on the corner by it " CANDY CORNER " Can anyone else remember it ?  :)

ChrisB

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 12:58:57 AM »
THE ATLAS along with THE CASTLE were both owned by HARRY DARE builders and developers of DARE TO BUILD  fame

netty 1960

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »
Dare was the builders that built all the semi deteched houses in flaxley rd , part audley and wyndhurst and lots more around yardley etc , we bought 2 there house , well built with character , i miss them houses , we live in anew build now , no where as good as Dares houses !!  :)

Roy Twing

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 12:16:47 AM »
Hi Paul

The Atlas on Flaxley Rd in Stechford was it? A little too far off my beaten track I'm afraid.

Phil
I used to live in Harrowfield Road in the 60s & early 70s, - that picture of the Atlas Garage brought back some forgotten memories (if that's not a contradiction) Burgess & Garfield, - all but forgotten..
I remember the Atlas when it was used to film a 60s music show, but can't recall if it was 5-4-3-2-1, or juke box jury, I do have many autographs from that time though.

Jojo

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 01:10:33 AM »
Well remember the Atlas and Candy Corner.  Do you remember the pawn shop right at the end of the row of shops?  I had to take dad's suit in every Monday and fetch it out again every Friday.  I loved the smell and the dark mysteriousness of the place!  I lived in Kitts Green Road at the time.
Also, the Fair that was positioned on the corner at holiday times.  Great fun!!

Spud

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »
Just catching up with this thread about The Atlas.One early contributor seem to think that the Atlas was owner  H Dare and Son the builders not sure if this is correct. I worked for Dares in the 1960s and The Atlas Cinema certainly did not belong to Dares then . However they did own a Plant Hire Business in Flaxley Road which I thaink may have been called Atlas they also owned a garage agaoin in Flaxley Rd which imported some of the first Volvo Cars into the UK some of the more Junior Directors and Managers drove Volvos and I have a recollection of one the Dares Sons driving a Volvo Sports Car similar to the one driven by Roger Moore in The Saint TV series.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Roy Twing

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »
Well remember the Atlas and Candy Corner.  Do you remember the pawn shop right at the end of the row of shops?  I had to take dad's suit in every Monday and fetch it out again every Friday.  I loved the smell and the dark mysteriousness of the place!  I lived in Kitts Green Road at the time.
Also, the Fair that was positioned on the corner at holiday times.  Great fun!!
I was asking about that pawn shop on another thread, - trying to recall its name!
I can only very barely remember the inside of the place, except, as you say, it seemed dark & dingy.
Another memory from that time was the outdoor (off licence) on Flaxley Road (still there, I think) - back in the early 60s, it had an old, high wooden counter, - we kids used to dash in, reach over the counter, and pinch sweets before the old chap who served there could make it throiugh from the back room.
I actually recall his name from the alcohol licence plaque above the door, - 'Percy Thomas Milner', - bit of useless memory there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy