Author Topic: Henry Strret  (Read 3590 times)

amanda wright

Henry Strret
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:01:13 PM »
hi ,
Does anyone have any old pictures of Henry Street, Aston please
My family lived there around 1870

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Henry Strret
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »
Amanda

Are we talking Henry Street Nechells? If so I have these. If you have a number I may be able to pinpoint it for you.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

amanda wright

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:33:29 AM »
Wow Phil,
now thats what i call service !!  Brilliant.
Number 71 .
Thankyou ;o)
 O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »
Hi Amanda

Sorry I can't fix you up with an image of No 71 but I can tell you that it was between Francis St and Heneage St on the right side of this map. I can also tell you that later No 71 was a Coopers (barrel maker) but not until the 1930's.

I am attaching this extract from the 1912 edition of Kelly's Trade directory so with the aid of that and the map you may be able to work out the location of No 71 yourself.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

rhubarb77

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 11:23:49 AM »
Does anyone have any information on 59 Henry Street? My Great Grandfather lived there when he married my Great Grandmother and there is very little information about him. If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 12:42:04 PM »
Hi rhubarb

Welcome to you, all I can tell you about the two addresses you enquire about is mostly from Memory. First of all I have marked both addresses on the attached map.

I have no memory of 59 Henry Street because I only remember it as a warehouse, I would imagine that the section of Henry Street where 59 was could have been bombed out during the war as I can see no reason to demolish a few random houses just to build a warehouse in an area that was going to be redeveloped within a few short years anyway.

You are right about Ashted Row housing a lot of doctors and dentists houses, but they were mainly on the other side of the road in the large 3 storey Georgian Houses. Although number 159 was listed to William Welch Dentist in the 1937 edition of Kelly's Trade Directory. Though I remember the shop as a hairdressers and can remember having my hair cut there once or twice.

In the attached photo your grandfathers premises would have been just out of sight on the left of the photo.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

rhubarb77

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 01:03:47 PM »
Wow! Thank you so much for your quick reply. It is amazing to see the streets on a map where they lived. These are the addresses listed on their marriage certificate of 1927. Her father was a dentist, according to family stories, William Welch was known as Painless Parker. How true this is, I do not know. Her husband, Thomas Kennedy, is the one I am struggling to find out more about for my family tree. There seems to be no known information on Thomas Kennedy, other than his wedding certificate. His occupation was as an insulator engineer. His father was James, who worked as an asphalter journeyman.

smccourt

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 10:08:56 AM »
Thanks for posting the Kelly's Directory entry. My great grandmother was Mrs Alice Clark at number 89 Henry Street. I hadn't realised she was a shopkeeper.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy