Author Topic: Musical Instrument Shops.  (Read 16298 times)

Miskin

Musical Instrument Shops.
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »
Hi All, Any Muso's out there remember any of the shops we used to use?  Or the Instruments we bought and wish we still had cos they would be worth a fortune now?
 I'm thinking about Musical Exchanges on Broad Street, Woodroffes on the Bottom of Hill Street, or was it Navigation Street? (the 62 to the Lickys Bus Stop was just across the rd) Yardleys Drum Shop at the bottom of Constitution Hill.
I bought my first Guitar from a little second hand shop, I can't remember the shops name... Anyone? it was across the road from Dalevac. it was a Kay Strat copy and I thought it was the bees knees. till I got it home that is and discovered it was just a couple of steps up from a plank. It had a neck like a Banana and was virtually unplayable and I was gutted.  I tried to PX it at Musical Exchanges and almost got laughed out of the door.  :)
Many years and Guitars later I wondered if any of these shops  still exist.

Miskin. O0

frederick

Re: Musical Instrument Shops.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »
Miskin,
I bought my first guitar from Woodroffes and 39 years later i am still playing, i have switch from classical to electric i now have a Fender strat and an Ibanez   8)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

planetmalc

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »
Jack Woodroffe's was in John Bright Street, near to Chetwyn's corner.
Yardley's had another shop in Colmore Row, opposite St. Philip's Place.
George Clay had a shop in Broad Street (nor far from Gas Street).
Kay Westworth's was in Cannon Street (near to Cherry Street).
Jones & Crossland were in Hinckley Street.

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

frederick

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »
There was another that i used to buy sheet music from and they also sold guitars i don't remember seeing other instruments and that was James Pass. anyone remember that shop.

Alfie.H.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:34:26 PM »
I have a thought that there was a shop called Ringway music, which I think was by Reddingtons rare Records. Before the redevelopment, if you was comming from Moor St Station, through the upass, I think the shop was somewhere to the right.

There was also a little shop off Cherry St. Off Corporation St. go towards Colmore Row, there was a little road on the left, the shop was about 50yrds on the left. I bought my 1st bass from there, a columbus, & after a bit work, it became an ok guitar, which I still have some 35+yrs. later.

Alfie   

valens1

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:14:48 AM »
Hi
I used Musical Exchanges a lot and remember Dave Quill who was always so helpful.....When I toured a lot of the back line up of extra Amps came from there..I bought a Flying V from there which I used once...I remember lots of those musical shops and remember mooching around them as a kid...Most of my equipment came from London stores as I was based there....
Bests
JP O0

planetmalc

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
There was another that i used to buy sheet music from and they also sold guitars i don't remember seeing other instruments and that was James Pass. anyone remember that shop.

They were on Smallbrook Ringway, Fred, near to the crossroads with Hurst Street; he closed the shop a few years ago and tried dealing from home.    That place was a bit classical-orientated, as was another music shop that was on Suffolk Street (more or less opposite Gough Street) which has also ceased trading.   :-\     Both shops sold instruments other than guitars.

planetmalc

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
I have a thought that there was a shop called Ringway music, which I think was by Reddingtons rare Records. Before the redevelopment, if you was comming from Moor St Station, through the upass, I think the shop was somewhere to the right.

There was also a little shop off Cherry St. Off Corporation St. go towards Colmore Row, there was a little road on the left, the shop was about 50yrds on the left. I bought my 1st bass from there, a columbus, & after a bit work, it became an ok guitar, which I still have some 35+yrs. later.

Alfie

Practically all of Brum's city centre music shops have moved to Smallbrook Ringway.

The shop near to Cherry Street was Kay Westworth's.

frederick

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
planetmalc,
I was into classical music i still have the sheet music Cavatina, Prelude No1 Villa-Lobos £2, Sarabande 20p,The Miller's dance Manuel De Fella 88p, Spanish dance No5 E.Granados 85p,Tango I.Albeniz 50p and also a couple of books with differant pieces of music in them, so i was back and forth to James Pass in those days.

planetmalc

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
planetmalc,
I was into classical music i still have the sheet music Cavatina, Prelude No1 Villa-Lobos £2, Sarabande 20p,The Miller's dance Manuel De Fella 88p, Spanish dance No5 E.Granados 85p,Tango I.Albeniz 50p and also a couple of books with differant pieces of music in them, so i was back and forth to James Pass in those days.

Great stuff, Fred; got most, if not all, of those on CD in a cheap Julian Bream boxed set.   When's YOUR CD coming out?   :) 

frederick

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »
planetmalc,
Julian Bream Now that is a guitar player   O0  i used to watch his master classes there would be a student playing a piece and it would sound good until Julian showed them how it should be played it would be perfection  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy