Author Topic: St Annes RC primary school.  (Read 6751 times)

bernipage

St Annes RC primary school.
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »
 I went to St Annes in the fifties, and remember that there were definitely two sites.
One was in Alcester street next door to the church, and the other was nearby
but NOT the Lowe street site.
  I seem to remember it was in Digbeth or Deritend, in an industrial
area.
[size=78%] We were taught by nuns, and were they strict!!![/size]
 Does anyone remember where the second site was exactly?
 I think the headmaster was called Mr Short.
The normal procedure was to go on to St Michaels, but I don't
know where that is or was.
 Ringing any bells???
 Bernadette Page (kelly)

torquiseblue

Re: St Annes RC primary school.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
Hi Bernie

Yes I remember St Anne's RC school.

Quite right about the nun's
They had a fine club/hall attached.
I attended a school Reunion there some time ago.
Look out for further meets Berie.

I was part educated there before moving on to Allcock Street school.
Saint Michaels RC school is located in Floodgate Street Digbeth, building still there actually.
Mr Short was the head master there...and did you know 'Claire Short' MP is his daughter.
I have a Saint Michaels school pic around somewhere and a couple of shots of the teachers who were teaching when I was a pupil there, (Mr Short  head master)is included.
I will post it as soon as I can.
Allcock Street School was the next school after Saint Anne's.
Allcock Street was situated on Lower Trinity Street off Adderley Street.
Do you remember the bakery at the back?
Hope this is useful
Regards
torquiseblue :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 04:00:17 PM »
Hi Bernadette & torquiseblue

Welcome both of you to our forum, have you seen this thread there are some photos and posts concerning St Annes School.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bernipage

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »
Thank you for that info.
No I do not remember the bakery nearby.
But I can picture clearly the playground,entrance and classrooms.
Sister Mary Joseph was one of my very strict teachers.
O0  Berni

torquiseblue

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »
Picture of Saint Michael's RC school from class window Floodgate Street Digbeth. 1960's.

kelly63

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
This is all rather surreal! Am visiting Brum, after many years away and presently staying at The Paragon...the old Rowton House!! I can look out on to Alcester St and remember the daily walk from Conybere St to St Annes! I went to all 3 sites, including the room(s) that were demolished, to make way for the hall. Remember the sisters, Mary Joseph and Mary Alphonsos...also Mrs Shrive(r)and Brocklebank. Then moved to the new site at Lowe St...Frank Short, Mrs Conti and Brennan are the only names that spring to mind. There was a bit of too-ing and fro-ing, between there and AlcockSt..meals, I think. There, I recall Mrs Clarkson who would have a smoke, as we swotted! and Ms Fallowfield..a charmer. In there somewhere, was a Mrs Doherty.
Class mates..? Moriarty (mad Birmingham City fan), John Burke, Richard Rice, Mary Ferris, ?Costello, Susan Foster, ?Duffy(who took me to Irish dancing)...think I remember you, Bernadette!
Took my 11+ and was fortunate enough to pass. Only 3/4 of us did, out of a class of 40 odd.
Moved to Hall Green.. attended Kings Heath Boy's Tech and my association with the shool and church ended. Sad to relate, that after being the top of the heap, at St Annes...I was 26th out of 27at my new school. I came to realise that dogma was more important, than education, at primary school. Nevertheless, good memories and I'm proud of heritage.

Brian Moore

Gee Gee

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »
Hello Brian
                   I remember you well (you snotty nose little [censored] you ;D )Glad you arrived home safely in the Uk.Looking forward to a possible meeting.I know that you have had a meeting with Audrey.who updated me last evening on all the latest news.I remember all of your teachers but,they were a little younger in my days at St Annes.From one who was very much at the bottom of the heap.Take Care. O0

bernipage

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »
 Hello Brian,
  I was reading , your post, and some of those teachers names DID ring a bell with me. What an amazing thing memory is!
 I left St Annes under a bit of a cloud as I recall. There was some sort of scandal, I think it was me telling other kids where babies came from and what was required to put them there............. Its very hazy, but I left when I was 9 or 10 and went to Ladypool Junior school after that,
 and I too passed my 11 plus.
I was the only one at my new school to do so, and the school was very proud of my success, but my mum was a single parent and could not afford the uniform required to send me to grammar school. Also she thought it was not for the likes of us, it was only for posh folk.
so I went to the local sec/mod.
I was quite happy either way,  as I knew no better then.
 Any more memories , keep em coming!!
                           Berni ;D

kelly63

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 08:47:42 AM »
Forgot to mention the bakery...awesome bread pudding!
Used to run after the bus to school, just to save a penny.
Then mum pointed  out, that if I ran behind a taxi, I'd save myself a tanner! 8)

Gee Gee

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »
Forgot to mention the bakery...awesome bread pudding!
Used to run after the bus to school, just to save a penny.
Then mum pointed  out, that if I ran behind a taxi, I'd save myself a tanner! 8)
Nice talking last night.Please have a very safe journey.Our regards to your family.Catch you in July.
e-mail address not working. Will try to obtain same from Peter. O0

Blooflame

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »
My first School ever was St. Annes at the top of Bradford Street. The only teacher I can recall was Mrs Brocklebank who was very gauche wearing a bright pink Artist's smock and a beret. Teddy and Seamus Coyle were friends as they lived by me in Sparkbrook. I honestly cannot remember very much...that seemed to be the trend throughout my schooldays!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy