Author Topic: Lower Tower St  (Read 3379 times)

padgo

Lower Tower St
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
Hello Im Dave. New to the Forum. Does anyone have info on Lower Tower St?

PaulE

Re: Lower Tower St
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »
Hi Dave

If you type "Lower Tower St" in quotes in the search box at the top of the page you will find a few pictures and a map to get you started.

Paul

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »
Hi Padgo

Welcome to the forum, I can't tell you anything about Lower Tower Street other than I worked opposite it a J A Ryley motor accessories  warehouse on Newtown Row in 1962-63. Though I do have a few photos that I am pretty sure are new to this forum.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

padgo

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
Hello Phil, Thanks for the photo's, the one that shows Southwells well, the 2nd house down is the one where I used to live, No 44.  My grandfather was caretaker of Southwells and also St Nicholas church which was further down opposite Ward St. Much appreciated.  Dave.

JAR

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:31:35 PM »
Hi Padgo

Welcome to the forum, I can't tell you anything about Lower Tower Street other than I worked opposite it a J A Ryley motor accessories  warehouse on Newtown Row in 1962-63. Though I do have a few photos that I am pretty sure are new to this forum.

Phil

Dear Phil

I was interested to read that you worked at J A Ryley Ltd as that was our family firm. I attach a photo of the premises in Newtown Row (which I remember visiting as a child). I would be very interested in any memories/ pictures of your time at JAR. I have quite a lot of material I could share.

Best wishes, JAR

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
Hi JAR

If I remember correctly I worked at your company for less than a year, I worked in the stores taking orders over the phone and then making them up for delivery. This would have been about 1963, the only name I can remember from management was Phil Piercy? and I suppose that was because he used to play darts with us at dinner time.

I have to say that I enjoyed my time with your company, but I had to leave in the end because of the same reason I left most jobs in my youth, I simply couldn't live on the money. I'm not saying your company was any better or worse than any other company back in those days, and it was commonplace to pay youngsters about a third of the money they paid adults for doing the same amount of work. Though I have one thing to be grateful for as it was because of the low pay issue that I started up on my own.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JAR

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »
Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply. By the 1960 J A Ryley Ltd was finding it hard to compete with bigger motor factors with more buying power. Perhaps this is why you were paid poorly... JAR was taken over by Bancroft Motor Factors a few years later. Herewith 3 more pictures.

Best wishes

JAR

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 07:09:08 PM »
JAR

Except for the outside paint job it looks no different there than when I worked there, magic photos they certainly brought back some memories of being a spotty 16 year old.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

alkenpiercy

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 11:32:10 AM »
Reply for Phil and JAR. Phil Piercy was my step father and he worked at J. A. Ryley for many years and I believe he was made redundant sometime after the Bancroft takeover. Phil, you would certainly remember playing darts with Phil Piercy - he loved the game and played every lunch break while eating his cheese sarnies. At some stage he became a rep. for JAR.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 12:13:55 PM »
Yes alkenpiercy, I certainly played darts with your stepfather few times in the lunchtime when I worked at JAR. Out of all the management there I found your stepfather the most approachable.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

alkenpiercy

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 01:24:08 PM »
Phil, there wasn't a bad bone in Phil's body, he was always very fair. We lost a good 'un! My step brother has just reminded me of a driver who was there - Rose.[/size]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy