Author Topic: Brum Ghosts....??????  (Read 41740 times)

Duffy

Brum Ghosts....??????
« on: July 20, 2007, 08:09:36 AM »
Hiya -

Simple enough query......  I'm always on the lookout for true stories of ghosts and hauntings around the Birmingham (and general West Midlands) area and wondered if any forum users might have some tales to share with me?

Needless to say, if confidentiality is required - please e-mail me via my web site.

Best wishes and look forward to hearing from you...

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

john2000

Re: Brum Ghosts....??????
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:44:03 PM »
Nick, Well I know of some stories of Ghosts, how true they are I dont know, they come from Balsall Heath, ( but the area has been pulled down so its difficult to believe or disbelieve), thow I would think most areas have their own stories of ghosts.
On the Pershoure Rd across from Calthorpe park, there stands a block of apartments, where before stood a collage, ( which was bombed in the war), stories of people seeing figures walking in the grounds by the apple orchard and then would just vanish in front of their eyes, my own experience was when three of us went scrumping one afternoon, there was no one around, but Chris was on the look out, tommy was half up the tree and I was up the top passing down the apples to Tommy, ( and having a great time ), when suddenly everything went quite, the birds stopped singing, nothing moved, when Chris whispers, theres some one coming, so we kept still, suddenly Chris screamed its coming, next moment he was gone, I never saw him run so fast, so there we where Tommy and myself up this tree, hoping that the person that was near by wouldn't see us, after a time we climbed down, no one was there, so we pick up our apples and went home, we didn't see Chris for about a week, when we went round to his house his mom said he was in bed sick, she kept asking what had happend in the bombed collage, nothing we said, Chris just ran off leaving us up the tree, when we did see him, his hair had changed colour, it was dark brown and now it was a light brown, he never told us what he saw, but years later we found out that he had seen something in the collage walking across an open foundation, but he was walking about a foot off the ground, and then he just vanished in front of him...( I think if I ever saw that my hair would change colour too,)
In Conybere St, there was a story about a woman who would be standing by a brewhouse door, but when two-three people saw her came close she would walk into the brewhouse, the people would follow her in to ask what she was doing there, but there was no one there,
In Cox St West, there used tobe tram lines, ( followed them home many a night from the pub), well the day came when they where tobe removed, the trams had been replaced by buses, now the gang of workmen who had the job of taking up the lines had a one armed man in their crew, he was a big strong guy bald head and only one arm, he used to swing that hammer all day to loosen the rail, the rail would ring every time he hit it, anyway they  moved on taking up the rails, the came the buses, years later some people said they could still hear the lines being taken up with the sound of a hammer hitting the rails, I remember it was loud, and I think it was because just under the road was a large sewer pipe, which would echo, to day nothing remains of the area, its has all been pulled down and grassed over, ( but still some times you can still hear the ring of the rail as it is hit with a large hammer,) but that was over 40 years ago, so I think people who live there now dont know about it.......... :o
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Duffy

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 06:31:30 PM »
Dear John,

Thank you very much for your reply.  some cracking stories there mate!!

Sadly, as you have rightly intimated, a lot of tales seem to vanish with a change in surroundings these days.....

The WMGC aren't only an investigative society, we also endeavour to keep a record of any such stories - for posterity.

Cheers again....

Nick

Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 09:09:53 PM »
Hiya, Again might be tales.

Just off Moor Green Lane which is on the edge of Moseley lies a wood which runs up to Cannon hill park. The wood has some deep hollows and it is said an old grey lady walks these woods.

Must admit i have been in these woods both dark and light [in my youth and not telling what i was doing ;D] Yet i have never seen the old grey lady.

However do you only look to birmingham for your research or can it cover other places or countries?

Duffy

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 09:21:05 PM »
Thank you Jacqueline - this site is a new one on me, I must admit!  Something else to look into....

No we don't just focus on the Birmingham area.....  though we do like to stay within the boundaries of the West Midlands (or immediate surrounding counties) wherever possible....

Thanks,

Nick

john2000

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 12:03:31 PM »
Nick,  In the 50's-60's, there was a murder of two lovers, they where beaten to death by a local guy who was mentally ill, it happend next to Canon Hill park 300metres from the history museum on the Pershore Rd across from ( what is today the BBC Pebble Mill ).
In the 60's, The BBC, Pebble mill, had not yet been built, but across from there was a row of prefab houses, ( similar to the ones in Calthorpe Park). one warm summer evening, two lovers where sitting behind the Prefabs, on the banks of a brook which leads into the river Rea, it had a lot of tall grass, ( ideal for lovers ), but death came for two people to that quite spot that evening, a man who as I've said was mentally ill. clubbed them both to death, and ran off, later the police found the guy,( he had blood on his cloths, and I think his mother turned him in, after she found out what had happened,).
Since that time, the BBC had been built, the prefabs where pulled down, new houses have been built, and all is forgoten,( so they say), but since that time some people, have heard the screams of the lovers, near the brook, I know this is true, because later I used to drink at a pub called the Dogpool, and I've chatted to people who live/ed there and they told me about the screams, and I'm quite sure what I've said can be confirmed by police records for that time.......John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Duffy

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »
Dear John,

Many thanks....

you're a mine of interesting information mate!!

Regards,

Nick

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 02:35:21 PM »
Nick,
  This is a pesonal one which i have not told to many and never on a website.
  As a child i lived with my mom and grandparents. Age nine i returned home from school and was the first to find my grandad dead in his bed. Gran thought he was only asleep.
  Just a few days after he was buried i woke one night to see him sitting in the Lloyd loom chair beside my bed. He was surrounded by a glowing yellow light. He told me he was sorry that i was so shocked to find him and that it should not have been me.
  Ok many might dream this type of thing but there was something else. Grandad used to give me a shilling pocket money each week and i had asked him some weeks before to save it for me. I had totaly forgotten about this and presumed my pocket money of 8 weeks had gone with him. He told me that my money was in a teapot in the china cabinet and that he had added five shillings.
  The strange thing is at nine i was quite level headed [total nutter now] and presumed it just to be a dream never rushing to that teapot. Was a few weeks later we did the dusting of the cupboard and what did i find in the teapot? 13 shillings.

Duffy

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 07:45:05 PM »
Dear Jacqueline,

Thank you for sharing such a personal story with us.

My gran always used to say my grandad had come back to pay us a visit whenever we smelled cigarette smoke on the stairs of our old house...  No one in the house - or next door for that matter - used to smoke at the time, so we were always mystified by these events.

Best wishes to all - and thanks again.

Regards,

Nick

wam

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 11:04:49 AM »
I used to work in a warehouse that used to be the Typhoo Tea factory. When the company moved in they used a locker room on the top floor. Within a few months people started complaining that room was haunted. Shortly afterward, the lockers were moved down to the first floor and that rom was only ever used for storage after that. This situation lasted until the company closed 20 years later. The building has not been used in 5 years since.

kesh

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 06:24:48 PM »
if your interested in ghosts, why not join spooksnights at the barton arms this sat. 28th. for an investigation. ? i can let u have details.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy