Author Topic: Brum Ghosts....??????  (Read 41752 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Brum Ghosts....??????
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
hi phil did not think it was a ghost it just felt odd  now if it was just me i would have took no notice but my friends wife felt the cold spot and as i say it just went i did try to find out more about the place its age and all that but nothing of any intrest come up so i put it down to me the cold spot was just a small spot no more than three foot round and you could put your hand in  the spot and feel the cold then it just went
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »
Roy,

I used to live not too far away from where you stayed, and the whole area is a very cold spot in winter.   More seriously, I've come across this cold spot thing a time or few.  First when I was a lad of 10-11, in the ruins of Ashby-de-la-Zouch castle, and I never thought twice about it until the next time in Sheffield, about15 years later. The second one didn't last for more 2-3 minutes after I came across it.  I've never come across one, or heard of anyone else doing so in tropical countries.  The last one was in London 12 years ago and was easily explained.

Rano82

« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »
Any chance of reviving this thread and getting some more peoples experiences of haunted Birmingham?
as someone who has seen what I would call a ghost I would be most interested to see if other people have had any experiences they would share?
hope everyone is well?

Rano

JudithM

« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2018, 01:04:38 PM »
Personal experience here - & possibly Solihull rather than Birmingham.

In my teens I kept a horse at the land on the airport side of Castle Hills Farm Bickenhill (one of the fields actually had landing lights in it).  Anyway, there was nearly always a background noise of horses & ponies coming and going along the track up from the Coventry Road - the track itself was part cobbled so the sound of hoof beats was loud, not muffled like they would be on mud.  You'd get to recognise which horse was coming up, the same as you can recognise people from the sound of their footfalls.

There was a horse that you'd hear when there was nothing there.  The cantering noise would start at the bottom near the Coventry Road & get louder & louder as it got towards where we had the stable yard.  When it got to about level with the gate to one of the fields it would stop abruptly (not slow down), and would often restart immediately again at the bottom.  There was nothing to see, or feel, and it was more like a recording on repeat than anything else.

We all knew about it and sometimes we'd stand in a line across the track as the sound came towards us - it was sort of like playing chicken!  There was no physical sensation, the sound would be in front & then behind us, but it was great to scare the younger kids with!

It wasn't constant.  Some days you'd not hear it at all, and it was more frequent when it was stormy - maybe there was something about wet & wild weather that triggered the 'recording'.  I don't know, but I remember the one day being up there in a thunderstorm & hearing it non-stop for a couple of hours (I was the only person there at the time for most of it).  I have heard that these sorts of 'recording' effects are more prevalent near water & in ground with more quartz in (and I checked a geological map and that area has bedrock that is fairly high in quartz, so it could have something to do with it).

Whether it still goes on there I don't know.  A lot of the land there has been altered with the re-routing of the Coventry road due to the runway extension, so that could have altered the ambience of the area.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

countrylad

« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2018, 09:19:54 PM »
I can remember a very strange experience it happened in Packington Lane one evening in 1975. One evening travelling from Little Packington to Hodge Hill Rd. Not far out of Little Packington, travelling in the dark, I saw a figure of a man standing on the side of the road, back then this was right out in the sticks. As I got nearer, the figure faded. I drove on a little further, feeling very spooked. My girlfriend was with me. I pulled the car over and said to her 'Did you see that back there? She said ' Do you mean that man that disappeared as we came to him?

We both definitely saw this apparition. I don't know until this day if we both saw a ghost of if this was a bit of rising warm air, mist or some other phenomena.
countrylad

Rano82

« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »
Hi guys thank you so much for sharing, I am always interested to hear others experiences (even second hand) I have had quite a few experiences myself over the years but only ever actually seen one what I would call ghost. I live in Druids Heath at the moment and have been told of a couple of alleged sightings near to me. When I was attending Baverstock school in the 90’s there was a fund raising event held at Bells Farm House (I forget the actual reason behind the fundraiser) but a lot of the local parents were helping with the smooth running of the event. I had a friend at school called Chris whos mother was helping out upstairs and at the end of the day, was one of the people tasked with cleaning up the room. From what he told me, she was helping stack up those folding tables which are used for car-boot sales when the lady she was working with said she needed to go downstairs and grab some more bin-bags. Chris’s mom carried on folding down the tables and ended up with her facing away from the door way. She heard a noise behind her which she presumed was her friend returning upstairs. She asked her friend if she could help her with a table that’s leg was somewhat jammed. No one responded so she turned around and there was a white see through figure floating directly behind her. Close enough it could’ve buried its head in the back of her head. She screamed like something out of a horror movie and the second people ran into the room the figure disappeared in front of her eyes. Needless to say (the last time I saw Chris) she has never stepped foot in Bells Farm since.
The other story local to this area I have been told was by my partners aunt who swears blind this happened and in fairness isn’t the sort of person to lie or exaggerate. In the 80’s her and a couple she knew were out drinking at the Peacock Inn in Wythall. At last orders they jumped in the car and headed back towards Druids Heath via Gay Hill Lane (in order to turn right onto Walkers Heath Road and onto Druids Heath) as they were driving down the Hill, she has told me there wasn’t really any street lights back then and to be honest there isn’t really any now, but the moonlight was kind of lighting up the fields ahead. They were all chatting away when suddenly the male of the couple slammed on the breaks only a few meters into the incline. Dawn almost hit her head of the passenger seat in front occupied by her friend and went ballistic at him saying “WTF are you playing at?” the guy driving just pointed ahead to the left field. Both the women's gaze followed his finger. Dawn has described in quite good detail to me a couple of times but my writing skill isn’t sufficient enough to do it justice. They were all staring at what appeared to be a Roman Army battalion, horses and all crossing the fields ahead. She (Dawn) estimates there must have been between 50-60 soldiers walking across the field. They crossed over the road directly ahead of them although it was some distance away and into the next field. They all sat in the car mouths wide open in silence for a bit then after the coast was obviously clear proceeded on their journey.
As I said before these aren’t my own experiences but ones I have been told of. I will gladly share my own if anyone would want to hear them?
Thanks
Rano

JudithM

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »
I've heard of people seeing Roman soldiers before, but not there (I think).  Interesting.  You do wonder whether they are seeing an apparition of what once was, or whether there's been some kind of time-slip & they are actually watching (would be funny if there were reports of Roman soldiers seeing strange metallic objects with people in!).

I've heard of many accounts of people out walking, or driving, and seeing something - such as a church or house - but when they've gone back another time it's been in ruins.  As in your account, more than one person seeing the same thing at the same time can't just be an hallucination.  Strange.

The creepiest thing that has happened to me was one afternoon coming out of work 3 or 4 years ago when I worked on Bath Row.  The staff entrance was at the side of the building, so I'd come out of it & through the gate on to Bath Row & then walk past the front of the building in the direction towards Town.  I used to finish at 4 & this particular day it was still bright & sunny, but the sun was quite low & casting long shadows.  As I started to walk past the building I got the feeling that someone was behind me & close.  Because of the nature of the company I worked for, we did sometimes get questionable people hanging round & it wasn't unheard of for staff to be harassed (we were advised not to wear our security passes outside of the building for this reason), so I was a little nervous.  Looking down I could see the shadow of someone next to mine - it was just a shape, but I got the impression of someone male & tall.  I slowed down a little to see if they would pass me & no-one did.  I didn't want to turn round & look at whoever it was because that could be taken as being confrontational, so I instead looked sideways into the full length windows of the building I was passing so I could see their reflection.  There was no one there & when I looked down the shadow had gone too.  I turned round & looked about.  There was no-one in sight - either on my side of the road or the other.  There were no cars or doorways someone could have gone into either.  It made all my hairs stand on end & really unsettled me for a good long time.

Rano82

« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2018, 02:24:31 PM »
Blimey that think I would’ve sprinted off in the opposite direction if I’m honest! [/font][/color]The worst part about that car story is it is on the “pathway” of Iknield Street Roman Road…. They had no idea off this and tbh I only know as I am a bit of a history buff and did Roman History at A Level. From where she described it literally is within a few metres/feet of the known route of the road!! Which is really creepy if you ask me!
Where did you used to work if you don’t mind me asking? If you had to protect yourself it sounds like working for the JobCentre which I too have done ;D we were always told to hide our badges on leaving the building lol[/font][/color]
I saw a ghost myself when I was 15 and staying at my step dads house in Marston Green. Me, my mom and stepdad had been out for a drink at a pub called Sheldon Hall on the way back in the car they were both talking about the pub and he happened to say it was haunted and being a cocky teenager I interrupted “ha, you don’t believe in ghosts do ya?” So I think God (if there is one) decided to teach me a lesson! It must’ve been earlier hours of the morning and I was sleeping in what was my step sister’s old room (she had moved out years before) this bed room was bare I can still picture everything in the room 20 years later…. That’s how bad it shook me up. I can remember I needed the toilet in the night and I am one of those people who sleeps with the blanket in between their legs. I could hear Colin’s cats scratching at the door and making a weird high pitched screeching noise. I kind of rolled over a bit as if to get up, then put my head back down on the pillow. Then I shot back up and was staring at the end of the bed. The room seemed to be filled with a kind of mist or fog, so much so that the glow in the dark stars on the ceiling were completely covered and there was a man standing at the foot of the bed!! Just staring out of the curtain less window he looked like a WW2 soldier or something or that era? I could see him and details on him, even a hint of colour but at the same time I could see a Madonna poster straight through him on the wall. I shot back under the blanket in a flash and made kind of a ball…. Not that that was going to protect me really but I still did it anyhow. I remember being able to hear my heart beating ridiculously loud and I started scratching my arm to try and wake myself up if I was dreaming. I started thinking all kinds of daft things like “shall I make a run for it across the room” then I’d think what if he turns round and has red eyes [/font][/color]J[/font][/color] bear in mind I still needed the toilet at this point. Basically I stayed under the covers all night until I heard my mom call me in the morning. I literally sprinted out of the room without an upward glance, straight downstairs, through the kitchen past my mom, straight out the backdoor into his garden and pee’d in a bush!! I refused to go back upstairs point blank and made her go get my football kit bag from the room. I had a match for Aston Villas under 15’s that day and despite scoring twice I didn’t even celebrate, when I got back there afterwards my mom was making a Sunday dinner in the kitchen and I went in and told her what I had seen. She said she thought there was something wrong the way I ran downstairs in the morning. My younger brother and step brother came round that for dinner and to sleep the night and I made them both sleep downstairs with me in the living room!! Never went back to Colin’s house after that but I’ve past it many times since he sold it. Gives me Goosebumps just thinking about it. [/font][/color]
Sorry for the waffle-a-thon[/font][/color]

countrylad

« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2018, 08:30:21 PM »
Rano82, I know the area you mentioned around the Peacock and when reading your account I thought of Iknield Street. That you have mentioned below. There is also a great deal of Civil War history in that area. Particularly The Saracens Head, Kings Norton Green and Camp Lane Kings Norton with associated hauntings.

When I was a nipper in the Kings Norton area Hawksley Farm was reputed to haunted and since there have been reports witch craft being practiced there. Unfortunately the old farmhouse was demolished about 25 years ago. Previous to the farmhouse being built there was a Elizabethan manor House on the site. You may find something about Hawksley on the net.

I also knew Sheldon Hall, Gressel Lane (I think) when it was still a private house. An old man lived there. We would dare each other to see how far we would go up the driveway in the dark. Creepy old place back then.

Rano82

« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2018, 09:15:22 AM »
Wow I never knew about Hawksley Farm, I just presumed it has always been a housing development. In fairness though for someone who is interested in local history I only found out there was a golf course in Druids Heath the other day!!! Obviously not as hot as I make out. It’s actually funny because I live right by Walkers Heath Park and I have stood out there quite a few times and hoped to see something paranormal but I guess (especially with Stone Tape theory) it happens when ever and if someone’s lucky enough to be there to witness it that’s it. I have had a few more things happen to me more recently which I attribute all to my deceased grandfather. In fact I am 100% sure it was. He died of Cancer in 2005 and for a while I moved in with my Nan on Sladepool Farm Road, Maypole. In a house I had stayed in 100s of times in the preceding years. Before he died he used to sleep in a separate room to my nan due to his illness. One time directly after his death I was staying at my mother’s house trying to help her plan his funeral arrangements and I was sleeping in a spare room. Back then I had a Motorola Razr mobile phone (not sure why that’s relevant) but basically this phone had zero memory space and you could literally only have one song on your phone saved. I had Stone Roses – Fools Gold. After seeing my mom I went to try and sleep and plugged my phone on charge and put Stone Roses on repeat to play out whilst I slept. This I did and got under the covers completely, whilst I was under there I thought in my head “If you’re ok Grand, let me know” that exact moment the song stopped playing on my phone, and it felt like a weight sat at the end of the bed. For some strange reason I didn’t actually look but I was kind of filled with calm? Dunno if that makes any sense tbh. When I actually moved in with my nan, like I said things started happening immediately. I used to work round the corner on Warstock Road back then so could walk to work in under 5 mins. My nan told me there was only myself, her and my uncle who had keys to her house. One day I came back from work at just gone 5 and she asked “have you been home today on lunch?”, I hadn’t and I asked why?? She didn’t respond but it turns out my uncle hadn’t either as he worked in Redditch. When she finally told me, she said that after I had left for work she had been the toilet and gone out shopping. When she returned home later, she again went to the toilet and both seats were up…. I know that doesn’t sound much but she was a clean freak and wouldn’t have had any reason to lift both seats. On many an occasion I got in from work went upto my(Granddads) room and emptied my pockets of change and what not onto the dresser which was raised at either side. I would always empty my pockets on the side nearest the door as I walked in, I would go downstairs for a fag or drink and when I came back up some or all of the change would be on the other raised side of the dresser. My nan had been downstairs the whole time watching TV. I had a comb that my grandfather gave me not long before he died and this comb was always disappearing and reappearing in different locations. I would leave it in the bathroom in the morning after doing my hair and by the time I found it, it had made its way into a show box of keepsakes under the bed. I would ask nan and she would be adamant she had never clapped eyes on it let alone moved it. At this time I had a mullet style haircut (which I can assure you was back in fashion in 2005) and I used to straighten the actual mullet part on a daily basis. One night I was sat on my bed with my laptop on my lap playing a football manager game, the door and window was closed and the big backed TV was off. My (man) straighteners were left on top of the TV and the lead and plug was dangling across the front and onto the floor at the foot of the bed. The lead had kinda fashioned itself with a loop in it, now I know you can’t hear movement but if someone stood behind you and waved their hand by your ear you would know there was something/one there. Well for some reason I got that feeling, looked up and watched in disbelief as the lead unravelled itself for no apparent reason!! The straighteners hadn’t moved an inch, nor the plug but the leads loop just undid itself unaided. I sat there gob wide open for a few seconds then called my stepbrother who was p*ssed off I had woke him up at gone 1 in the morning. The only time I was ever creeped out properly though was one occasion in the summer of 2006, I had been drinking at Kings Norton British Legion one night and it was still pretty light when I left so I decided I would walk back through Druids Heath and come out on Alcester Road and down Sladepool. By the time I had walked the mission, it was dark. As I walked up Sladepool I could see the porch light on as usual, I opened the front door, opened the second door, switched the porch light off and as I did this I heard my nan close the bathroom door upstairs and walk across the landing into her room and shut the door. I shouted up “alright Nan” but she didn’t hear me, which wasn’t unusual at all. I went into the garden for a smoke then went up to bed myself. The next morning I went downstairs for a fag and coffee as was the norm, as I was walking back through the house I heard a knock on the bay window so I went to the door and unlocked it, there stood at the door was my nan with one of those grey carry cases on wheels and I just clapped a glimpse of my uncles car driving away. I asked if she’d been shopping and she said no she had been to David’s (my cousins) who lives in Cheltenham and stayed the night, I turned round oblivious and started climbing the stairs. As I got in line with the landing I remembered saying hello to her the night before!!! Which gives me shivers even now.  :o

JudithM

« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
Blimey that think I would’ve sprinted off in the opposite direction if I’m honest! [/font][/color]The worst part about that car story is it is on the “pathway” of Iknield Street Roman Road…. They had no idea off this and tbh I only know as I am a bit of a history buff and did Roman History at A Level. From where she described it literally is within a few metres/feet of the known route of the road!! Which is really creepy if you ask me!
Where did you used to work if you don’t mind me asking? If you had to protect yourself it sounds like working for the JobCentre which I too have done ;D we were always told to hide our badges on leaving the building lol

I worked for a housing association, so, on occasion, we would get people who had some sort of beef with the company turn up & cause trouble (usually people who were being, or had been, evicted for unreasonable behaviour in the first place!).  Some people had been physically as well as verbally attacked. 

I can't say I have ever really seen any ghostly figures, I've heard things & was once hit in the face by the tail of a horse that wasn't there but have seen no ethereal people.

I once saw someone that wasn't there - but they were alive & well at the time (still are), so I don't know what was going on there!

I was on my way back to school after lunch (the school was only a couple of hundred yards away so I'd go home for dinner).  The school (Coppice School, Solihull) was up a cul de sac off Damson Lane & you'd cross Damson Lane with a lollipop lady.  Behind where the lollipop lady stood was a house where the garden was surrounded by tall trees.  As I walked off my road towards Damson Lane I could look across the gardens to where the lollipop lady was & had a clear view of the garden & trees until I got to the last house where the hedge was taller & I would then lose sight of it for a few seconds until I'd walked past.

This one day as I walked up the road I could see my friend standing with her back to the road & staring up into the trees.  Now, that would appear to be an odd thing to be doing, but she was very keen on birds (she had one of those little gem books on birds that she'd carry about) and I fully expected her to tell me about some unusual bird she'd just seen in the trees.  However, when I got past the tall hedge she'd gone.

I thought she was hiding in the garden and would jump out on me as I walked past.  The man who lived at the house - incidentally, a hunchback - was just the kind of man who would be happy to have small children hide in his garden to 'boo' their friends (he was a very cheery man who drove one of those blue 3 wheeler cars), so I asked the lollipop lady somewhat sarcastically when Jane had gone.  I got a little annoyed when she said she hadn't seen her.  I thought she was in on the 'joke', so asked again saying something like 'I know she's here, I saw her'.  The lollipop lady then pointed up the road & said 'there she is' and sure enough, there she was a couple of hundred yards away walking towards us with her brother.  She was not a fast runner, so there was no way she'd have been able to get from where I saw her to where she was in that time - besides which, she'd have had to run past in front of me as I walked up the side road.  It was very strange.

As I said, she is still alive & well, so I have no idea why this happened.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy