Author Topic: Kitts Green, Lea Village and Glebe Farm  (Read 55592 times)

Roy Twing

Re: Kitts Green, Lea Village and Glebe Farm
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 09:38:26 AM »
Blimey, - such a lot of memories on this thread!
I used to go to Lea Village (Mirfield School) at the same time as Omo Collins and the others mentioned (was in the same class as Joy Bagshaw if I recall correctly).
I heard that the school was to be demolished a year or so ago and went along and took a few photos of the place for posterity.

frederick

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 09:53:41 AM »
Does anyone from this area know of a Phil Marson or Marston. He used to drink in the Glebe pub he would be about 79 now if still we us.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

teegee

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2016, 08:09:50 AM »
Anyone remember when the road bridge by the railway station was open for traffic until the late seventies.

Just spotted this post. I drove over that bridge whilst on my driving test, the examiner told me to turn left at Lea Hall Rd and as I did so my back wheel went over the kerb. I thought "god, I've failed now" When we got back to the test centre he asked me "how far from the kerb should you be when turning?" I cannot remember my answer but it must have been good enough because he passed me, I was so chuffed and relieved. My first test as well, I was 17 at the time so this must have been 1964/5. I can't remember when they blocked it off to traffic though.

townie

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 07:00:49 PM »
teegee Did you take your test from Sheldon. I took mine at Sheldon at 17 yes.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

teegee

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »
Yes, it was Sheldon test centre. Is it  still there? if not, where do they go now? I also took my motorbike test when I was 16 and luckily I passed. That test place was somewhere by the Swan market, can't remember whereabouts though. When I passed my car test at 17 I gave up my motorbike and I have never rode one from that day to this. I still have the licence to ride one so if I wanted I could go out tomorrow and ride a powerful bike quite legally. I wouldn't though, I'd be too scared.

townie

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2016, 10:31:06 AM »
teegee I wouldn't have a clue if its still there I haven't been round Sheldon for about 20 years at least. I cant even remember where the test centre was think it was in a row of shops. Good news though I only ever went there once and I was only 17 as well. On my test the examiner asked me to stop not an emergency stop just pull over. This was when you had to use hand signals. I did not signal with my hand and once stopped the examiner asked me what kind of hand signal should I have used and why didn't i. My answer was correct and my reason was there were no other traffic or pedestrians about so I didn't feel the need to use hand signal as I had indicated anyway. Must have been my lucky day or he was in a good mood. What a great feeling when he says passed.     

teegee

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »
Same here, I haven't been around that part of Sheldon for years. I'm glad I passed my test when I did, as I doubt if I would pass a test today, like a lot of us I suspect.

townie

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2016, 09:53:30 PM »
Teegee its been great reminiscing but I think we better get back on track about Kitts Green, Lea Village and Glebe Farm and leave Sheldon to those who know a little more.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2016, 11:03:40 PM »
I took my driving test at Sheldon and still have my card. The address on it is Driving test centre, 49 Comberton Road, Sheldon, B26 2TE.
Is this the one?
Now, where did I put my time machine ....

townie

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2016, 06:49:23 AM »
If it was in a row of shops that's the one.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2016, 07:57:50 PM »
Yes, Townie. I believe it was.
Now, where did I put my time machine ....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy