Author Topic: Kitts Green, Lea Village and Glebe Farm  (Read 55619 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Kitts Green, Lea Village and Glebe Farm
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2017, 07:45:46 PM »
My name is Edmund Fifield ,I started at Ridpool Rd school in1949 aged 10 .After 4 months started at Lea Village.The headmaster wasMr Cowley there was also Mr Tickel Woodwork,Mr McFarland Sports,Mr Ward singing and religion. We went toBlankenberg in Belgium in 1952 or 52 .Wonderd if any one remembers.Formed a great football team named Hayden Rangers .Players named Ronnie Frost,Digger Moon Dave Callow ,Terry Hughes, Butcher Becknell ,David Hughes,Wonder if any one remembers
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

townie

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2017, 08:04:38 PM »
Hi Edmund. There's a member on here that posts on the Shard End thread who went to Ridpool Road school Kits Green, have a look through Shard End for him I cant remember his name at the moment. You may have been in the same year or even know one another.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
I used to live in Easthope Rd,between 1952/55 my brother and I used to walk down Colehall Lane to Chester Rd ,catch the Midland Red bus to Coleshill get of at the top of the hill by the church walk through the church yard ,down the field ( missing the cow pats ) and down to the lane.We used to go in the field passed the tea stall to the river Blythe and catch minnows and the occasional crayfish.Does remember this place .Edmund Fifield

GardenGerald

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
Edmund
Minnows, Sticklebacks and Bull Heads. Many good times both as a younster and a teenger with the girls catching fish. From Coleshill you
could get another Midland Red to Sheepy Magna and fish in he River Anchor. I wonder if you and I ever met anywhere. Did you go dancing at Billy Ponds.
Best wishes
Gerald.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »
Hi Gerald, Never went to Billy Ponds , Had no time for girls and dancing. when I was 14 me and my school mates used to do a lot of cycling, all around Shirley and Solihull and all over England and Scotland   and Wales,Then when I was 18 and got my Morris 8 series E all things changed.We used to go into town to the Cedar Club and the El Sombrero inBristol St, Started courting and went dancing to a place in Handsworth,Saw the Beatles in 1962 there.Cant remember the name of the place.Edmund Fifield.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2017, 04:53:15 PM »
Does anyone remember when we used to have PIGS at the Lea Village school,I was Treasurer for the Pig Club from 1953-5 .Used to rear the 4 pigs ,sell 2 and then kill 2 for xmas.we used to have a meal and draw lots for the pieces of pork between the members of the club Edmund Fifield

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
Hi all,does anyone remember getting on the Lorry outside the BSA and going Potatoe picking in the 6 weeks  holidays about1952-55 .We would be out all day picking spuds the farmers would come round with a big urn of tea , after a back breaker of a day return back to the BSAby the Mackerdown with £2 .

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »
Hi all, Does anyone remember playing Football on DONKEYS  HOLLOW, it was over the bridge at the back of the garage I think in Sheldon Heath Rd , At the end of July we used to play the teachers football on there for the Docker cup .Aload of old tin in the shape a huge cup It had been made by the Metalwork teacher. The bridge joined the 2 parts of the Meadway .Does anyone remember the Griffiths family in Mirfield Rd Edmund

townie

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2017, 08:09:35 PM »
I remember playing football on the Glebe pitches we used to walk along Cole Hall Lane over the White Bridge and up a narrow path. I once lost a football boot along there and didn't realise until I got home to Shard End.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:50 PM »
Hi Townie,Lived just up the road in Easthope Rd spent most of my youth in the park and by the river Cole. Later on 1955 -60 played quite a lot football on the Glebe pitches in the South B,ham League Edmund

Roy Twing

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2017, 06:12:28 PM »
Bunny its melvyn jones here are you well?

Haven't been on this site in a while, and just catching up on this thread, - are you the Melvyn Jones who lived in Harrowfield Road? - if so, I used to live more or less directly opposite.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy