Author Topic: Kitts Green, Lea Village and Glebe Farm  (Read 55598 times)

Annirobbo

Re: Kitts Green, Lea Village and Glebe Farm
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2020, 08:20:19 PM »
Hi folks, I am new to this site, have lived in Glebe Farm for 30 years, grew up by the Toby Jug Castle Bromwich, both my Parents came from the Glebe and just wondered if anyone recalls them?
Dad's family lived in Stud Lane.....Geoff, Sylvia, Marjie and Brenda TONKS
Mom's family lived in South Roundhay, Nell and Vic, my grandparents and Tony, Colin, Johnny, Pauline and Jean CORRALL.

Hi my family lived next door to the to the Tonks in stud lane. I was really young but I only ever knew Mrs Tonks. She moved to Kirkham grove in an old people bungalow. We had her cat Skippy. My mom invited her round the house to watch princess Anne get married because we had a colour tv. I don’t know what happen to her after that. If it’s not the same person it’s a hell of a coincidence

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2020, 11:30:25 PM »
Hi ANNIEROBBO.LIVID IN EASTHOPE RD  FROM 49 -63 WENT TO LEA VILLAGE TILL 54
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Annirobbo

« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2020, 10:39:17 PM »
Hi ANNIEROBBO.LIVID IN EASTHOPE RD  FROM 49 -63 WENT TO LEA VILLAGE TILL 54

I lived in stud lane from 68-86 and I went to audley road 69-77 my family was still living in stud lane until 2000

The Goalzone

« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2020, 05:05:12 PM »

I lived with my Gran and Grandad in Yockleton Road Lea Village, Birmingham B33. I was born at Yockleton Road but grew up in New John St West off Summer Lane. Eventually I went to live with my Gran and to be honest would never say it was Shard End.  In fact you would have to go down Packington Avenue over the Bailey Bridge to reach Shard End-Howver it does border Shard End.  Is it Lea Village, Lea Hall, or Kitts Green- where all the shops are io was known as the Village- Then it was a wonderful place- i remember walking with my Grandad to the Bluebell Woods and Chelmsley Woods when they were woods before being built on.

If you haven’t heard of Lea Village (it is in Shard End, very close to the airport) then don’t worry. Even in 1932 a reporter from the Birmingham Mail described it as “… probably the loneliest, most rural and least known spot in Birmingham”.
Although the history of the village can be traced back to 1275, it became subsumed under the suburban growth of Birmingham in the 1930s and post war estate building projects. There are now no signs for Lea Village, no markers of its rich history. However, Lea Village’s past is marked by German planes that were shot down in the Second World War, the roads built by POWs, the role of the now demolished Lea Hall in the Civil War and the people who moved here, including Sam Musson who walked from Leicestershire to Lea Village in 1850 to begin a small-holding and open a sweet shop. Birmingham’s rich history lies not just in its industrial city centre past, but in its hinterlands too.

fletch1939

« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »
Hi phil
I got this photo sent to me on the a lea village forum I studied it and I will be honest I seeing old pictures of both pubs I left the heading as supplied with the photo.
I will have to study it a little more. hope all is good with you.
colin
Hi, this is the Tavern pub (now gone), spent many happy evenings with other lads whilst parents are inside, this in late 40's early 50's. Facing the pub (left out of shot)  is the 'little woods'

fletch1939

« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2020, 06:50:21 PM »
Hi,
Lea Village was down to the 'ford' now bailey bridge. When i lived in 58 Lea Ford road there was only 6  houses after Booth's gate then it was country. Shard End Crst was being built in later 40's and we had fun playing in the buildings and throwing sticks into the lime pits. Lea Village was never part of shard End though I left area in 1958. We had the VE fir in the junction of Lea Ford Rd and Fordfield Road. Some very happy memories of growing up there from a time you could still spend a farthing.

fletch1939

« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2020, 06:58:06 PM »
Hi phil
I got this photo sent to me on the a lea village forum I studied it and I will be honest I seeing old pictures of both pubs I left the heading as supplied with the photo.
I will have to study it a little more. hope all is good with you.
colin

fletch1939

« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2020, 06:58:39 PM »
Hi,[/size]Lea Village was down to the 'ford' now bailey bridge. When i lived in 58 Lea Ford road there was only 6  houses after Booth's gate then it was country. Shard End Crst was being built in later 40's and we had fun playing in the buildings and throwing sticks into the lime pits. Lea Village was never part of shard End though I left area in 1958. We had the VE fir in the junction of Lea Ford Rd and Fordfield Road. Some very happy memories of growing up there from a time you could still spend a farthing.

rupert94

« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »
i remember quite a few of the lads from lea village . toddy .colin and andy veitch ron newmarsh johnny weston . i lived in the end house top of folliot road

clacky

rupert94

« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2020, 12:06:02 AM »
yes i knew johnny malabar and  ray  and their sister mary i think she married a frank beckett

utvbrummie

« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »
Bit of a longshot but deoes anybody remember the walkers/doyles? gerry walker used to do the doors at the mackadown and ran the tavern for a while, think his mrs names was julie and they had a little boy at the time (late 80's) also the doyles, Micky, paddy and jon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy