Author Topic: Wheelers Lane Boys School  (Read 17141 times)

Whiskey

Re: Wheelers Lane Boys School
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
Hi Barmad
Although I did not attend Wheelers Lane. I am fairly certain that Wheelers Ln does have a claim to fame . I seem to remember that Bob Latchford the Birmingham City ,Everton and England Centre forward attended Wheelers Ln. His brother David may also have attended he too played for Birmingham City in Goal.

Not too sure about Dave, but Bob Latchford went to Brandwood School in Sunderton Road

pickard.r

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »

Not too sure about Dave, but Bob Latchford went to Brandwood School in Sunderton Road
David was also a Brandwood Secondary lad, as was the youngest Brother Peter who made several appearances for Blues before going up North to play for Celtic...Peter was in the 4th year when I started at Brandwood.

The Brothers were first spotted by Teacher C.W.Slater who, I understand, had contacts within the local Football Clubs.

Before the Latchford Brothers Brandwood hepled spawn an Olympian in runner Ian Stewart who, with his sister Mary, attended the school in the early 60's. As far as I can remember they were only there for a couple of years but they had an affect on the Headmaster Mr Jones who always mentioned them, whatever the occasion....

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

jayjay67

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 10:52:54 PM »
I'm a tad late to this thread but just thought I would point out that Dave & Bob Latchford actually went to Brandwood not Wheelers lane, I attended Wheelers Lane between 1978 & 1983

victor chatwin

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 08:28:45 PM »
I was at Wheelers Lane boys school 1957-1961, Mr North headmaster, Mr hancock art teacher and that's about it for names, played cornet in the school band, I think the music teacher was Mr. Flavell, didn't do that good, left in September 1961 with a pass UEI maths and woodwork, classes 1-1, 2-2- 3-2 and 4E, what a waste.

locum999

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 12:28:11 PM »
Although a bit late in replying to Barmaid. I attended Wheelers Lane, infants, junior and senior schools from 1959 to 1972. I have some photos of the class in the second year of infants school, one when I attended the annex (not in Wheelers Lane, but still part of Wheelers Lane). One taken in 1972 of the sixth form sitting outside the headmaster's room.

If I can help with any of the history please let me know.

The senior headmaster in the 1960s/1970s was a Mr. Probert, deputy Mr. Peters, music teacher Mr. Flavell, history, Mr. Hall. Mr. Rough (?) geography (he had a broom stick by his side, nobody talked).

victor chatwin

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 10:31:08 AM »
Thanks for that, fancy Mr Flavell still being there in the 1970s, it was fun at the time, but as for learning anything, well I learnt more in the Royal Navy than I did at Wheelers Lane.

Terry B

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »
I attended Wheelers Lane Boys School from 1954 - 1956 when I passed the 13 plus and moved to Handsworth Technical School. My memory's fading about my time at Wheelers Lane but I recall that we had to use a school hall on Kings Heath High Street for lessons for a couple of days a week and went to Moseley Road Baths for swimming lessons. That always seemed odd as Kings Heath pool was so much nearer.

I remember a very strict English and singing teacher (Mr Gulcher?) who'd walk around with a wooden ruler and clout any boy who wasn't behaving or singing properly.I recall another teacher called Mr Whetton who always seemed very fair. I think the headmaster was Mr North. The deputy took assembly once a week and always had us singing John Bunyan's hymn "To Be A Pilgrim". Can't think why I'd remember that!

Sadly, there were a few bullies at the school and I was glad to get away after seven terms. Not the happiest days of my schooling life really.

victor chatwin

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 01:34:57 PM »
Between 1957 &1961 we used to go to Kings Heath baths, bit cramped and the changing cubicles were small. Bullies, well there were a few of them so I was glad to get away. Lot of rebuilding taking place when I was there.

planetmalc

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 04:49:08 PM »
........went to Moseley Road Baths for swimming lessons. That always seemed odd as Kings Heath pool was so much nearer.

Never been in Kings Heath Baths, but if it's one of those baths that only have one pool then that could be why you'd have gone to two-pool Moseley Road instead.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil Davidson

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 05:01:14 PM »
Even the kids from King Edwards in Vicarage Lane used to go to Moseley Road Baths, until the school built their own swimming pool.

Joey

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 08:05:16 PM »
Although a bit late in replying to Barmaid. I attended Wheelers Lane, infants, junior and senior schools from 1959 to 1972. I have some photos of the class in the second year of infants school, one when I attended the annex (not in Wheelers Lane, but still part of Wheelers Lane). One taken in 1972 of the sixth form sitting outside the headmaster's room.

If I can help with any of the history please let me know.

The senior headmaster in the 1960s/1970s was a Mr. Probert, deputy Mr. Peters, music teacher Mr. Flavell, history, Mr. Hall. Mr. Rough (?) geography (he had a broom stick by his side, nobody talked).

Mr Williams was our Geography teacher in the early 70's. Anyone remember Mr Arnold (maths) with his slipper?? What about Mr Hebdon (PE)???

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy