Author Topic: Wheelers Lane Boys School  (Read 17143 times)

locum999

Re: Wheelers Lane Boys School
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 03:32:29 PM »
There was a Mr. Arnold who taught economics and maths in the late 60s, but suspect not the same as he was the "new" type of teacher, would look hurt if the class was not on its best behavior. Mr. Rudge was the geography teacher who had the broom stick.

I have a old school magazine from my last year at school, I'll dig it out and get all the teachers and the pupils of the 6th form. I still have a picture of my old form, it is frightening to see what 40 years can do!

All the names you mention, Joey, I recall. Mr. Hebdon, Messrs Williams & Arnold

Robert White

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 10:47:04 PM »
Anyone? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I attended Wheelers Lane from September 1949 until July 1960,Infants to Seniors. The Headmaster Mr Flavell was a true gentleman who was genuine in every way.
Mrs Barrett was a teacher who has always stuck in my mind and made me feel safe and secure at 5&6 years of age, being a chronic asthmatic school life was not easy especially when I entered the senior school and sports were not for me. Mr Williams was a strict yet understanding teacher and Mr North the Headmaster of Seniors was an incredible gentleman who would always accept you into his office if you had a problem the door was always open.
I agree with other comments it was a tough school where bullying was not unheard of amongst the children, unfortunately one teacher Mr Goulcher  seemed to enjoy punishing the weakest in his class of algebra, he had a golden rule in algebra which even today does not make sense and often I was brought to the front of the class and had my head banged against the blackboard, I can still see it a large rolling green board. I walked out of the class and reported his foul behaviour to Mr North and I am pleased to say from then onwards he calmed down.
I enjoyed the woodwork teachers Mr Mason and Mr Skinner who never agreed with corporal punishment where as other teachers always had a cane in there desk.
The senior school was a stepping stone into apprenticeships at some factory and didn't ever consider pupils for the academic world. at one stage I was number 54 on the register, I remember this having 'W' as my surname initial, Only during the fifth form when taking UEI exams were the numbers lower and then it was 36 to a class. I left with UEI qualifications which did get me into day release from my job at Aston College of commerce where I managed to take five subjects.
My education has served me well, travelling the World organising International conferences and running my own very successful company for thirty years. the tough world of Wheelers Lane gave me strength in third world countries and confidence to handle some very difficult situations.
I still have end of term Class photographs and our day trip to Blenheim Palace. At 15 I was allowed to travel to Interlaken in Switzerland with the school staying at the Hostel 'Falcon', not far was the Luxurious five star hotel 'Victoria Jungfrau' as I sat on a bench opposite the hotel I wondered how rich you have to be to stay there ?
Twenty years later I organised a conference there and the management gave me the Presidential suite, I looked down at the bench I sat in 20 years previously and thanked Wheelers Lane for giving me that experience.

Robert White

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 07:33:52 PM »
Hello all

I wonder if anyone can help…
I’m the Librarian at Wheelers Lane Technology College (formerly WL Boys School [secondary]) and I’ve been charged with sourcing material for an upcoming project we’re running shortly with some of our students about the history of the school.
Has anybody any relevant information/memories/photographs that would be of interest?
Thanks in advance.
Barry

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 07:58:49 PM »
Hi Robert White

Why are you just bringing quotes by "Barmad" to the fore, don't you have anything to say yourself? Is there something we can help you with?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

grahm

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »
Hello,
         Not sure if I can help. I was at this school between 1960 an 1963. Should have been from 1959 but spent a year at Stirchley school...Turves Green being difficult and elusive.
         If I may, Mr. North was the headmaster, later, Mr. Peters, Deputy. I live in the north now and haven't been to Birmingham for nearly 40years. On 'google maps', I see a lot of changes, all over.
         As I recall, from the main entrance and the offices; turn left in the corridor to the science-lab and biology lab(used as an extra class, mostly.). Also, here, was the 'canteen'. An exit door led to the metal-work room to the right, to the left, bicycle sheds and further round, back to the main drive-way. Passed the metal-rooms led to the 'back-gates and care-takers house.
         Back in the corridor, at the offices, straight ahead, the hall, to it's left and first right, another corridor, past the staff-room, and other rooms(nurse, interviews) to the two wood-working rooms; an exit door here led to one being outside the care-takers house; turn right here to the main play-ground.(across the grass here to the infants and juniors).
         From the offices again, turn right, down the steps and a long corridor to the library; the left being ways to the play-ground until one reached the gym, but firstly, down the steps and everything now is on the right. So, if I remember correctly, toilets, cloak-room and drying cupboard; first class-room, Mr. Levine, first year pupils. Then, memory fails here, type of vacant class for newly employed teachers, but next, Mr Sammuels,was it?.English teacher. Mr Brown follows and then we're at the gym, on the left. Opposite is Mr. Houghton, maths man. Next room Mr. Flavill, music man, I had piano lessons from him (play drums now though). Mr Rudge; Geography(and gym teacher) and the last room, by the library doors leading upstairs, was Mr. Bonner although, later this room was taken by Mr. Peters.
        Opposite this was Mr. Hancock, wonderful art teacher. A crafts room was next to this.
        Moving back through the corridor a little an exit door led to the right-hand side of the gym and the sand-pits (no foam) for long-jump, and pole-vaulting an event in which I attained three certificates. Across from here were "the huts". Three of them although two only used. Another teacher, Mr. Hall and, along with Mr. Brown taught in these from time to time.
       In my fifth year I was a librarian, In the metal-work/craft classes I made a wire model of a pole-vaulter. It was mounted and shown in the library until, well, I don't know when.
       Well, hope this might be of help?
                   Thank you.
                               Mr. Graham Freer aged (ugh!) 68.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »
Graham

Welcome to the forum, there is nothing wrong with being 68 and I feel like an 28year old (if I was given the chance),
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

grahm

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 06:55:28 PM »
Thank you.
                 I would like to add that I was  born and bred on the prefab estate in the Bells Lane area and attended this infant/junior school/ Been looking at information on this. Pity, like everything else from the past, not much of it, picture wise.
                 Hoping, maybe, that those from my eras, as it were, might make a comment and/or connect?
                 I refrain from stating later attained qualifications and worldly travels, that's not important just now.
                 68? er...ok, maybe, ho!
                                          Thank you. G.F.             

grahm

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 01:37:21 PM »
Cryptic clues, huh? So who are you Mr. G.F? I replied here thinking people wanted information about the school. (and what happened to my model, ho1!).

victor chatwin

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 08:48:42 AM »
As said before 1957-1961 at Wheelers lane boys school, Mr. North headmaster, Mr. Hancock art, and a few others, School band, Mr. flavell, didn't do much, didn't like the school but got on with it. Lived in Maypole Lane so it was a nice 50 bus ride everyday, 2d was the fair. Those were the days. Used to go up to Kings Heath at dinner times plus the shop in the road up to the school, 1d woodbines, cant do that now. Anyone there at that time finished in 4E 1961.

DEROYM

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »
Hi Barmad,I know i'm three years late. I attended Wheelers lane from 1969-1974, as far as claims to fame go,one pupil from the fifties or mid sixties did play rugby for England,his England shirt used to be displayed in a frame in the school foyer,his name was Nigel Horton.
As for the teachers of the day i recall the following: Mr. Probert (head) Mr.Rough (deputy) Mr.Hall (history)Miss Wuest( english) Mr.Watling(Maths) Mr.Hebden, Mr Ward (both PE) Mr.Millward, Mr.Crump( both Science)Mr.Madden (Art,he also ran the school football team,he had no idea about football and couldn't play to save his life.Mr.Williams(Geography, ex pro footballer,you would have thought he was the best man to take charge of the football team.....strange? Mr.Heim (French) Mr.(Acker) Favall (music). I remember a very pretty young teacher starting in the early seventies, her name was Miss Poole she would have been in her early twenties,she used to wear what could only be described as short skirts( not quite mini) Nearly all the male teachers fancied her rotten...and needless to say,none of the boys ever missed her lessons..what are we like? ;) [size=78%]  [/size]

bob preston

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 02:14:05 PM »
I went to Wheelers Lane from 1961 to 65 and the Horton bros attended also. One ex England rugby player and onea great swimmer.Robert and Nigel. And yes I remember Sammy Gulcher. Bob (Robert) Preston.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy