Author Topic: northfield and sellyoak  (Read 920 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
northfield and sellyoak
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »
any members from sellyoak or northfield   what do you think of the new roads and the bypass at one time it would take you an hour to get from sallyoak in to brum town center and the same coming back from work at night
how do you remember it did you go to school in that part of brum did you work in northfield or sellyoak what do you remember
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Pamela

Re: northfield and sallyoak
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »
I am sorry not to have been back to Selly Oak for 3 years to see the new bypass finished. A solution to the Bristol Road traffic  was talked about many years ago but of course the road couldn't be widened because of the railway bridge.
I was remember Selly Oak village from the late 40's up to the 60's as a very busy place with lots of shops from the top end right down to Bournbrook at the bottom,you could buy most of what you wanted without going to town.
There was plenty of work opportunity in Selly Oak and Cadbury's near by
There were plenty of pubs, a few church's, but not schools,I had to go to Weoley Castle to school.
 Those were the good old days
         Pam

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: northfield and sellyoak
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
hi Pam
there are still a few shops but its full of takeaways northfield is much the same top end by the baths
me and my mate when we got our first bikes made our way to sellyoak and had a rest on the cut bridge  right next to the Birmingham battery and co
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 03:39:39 PM »
A few weeks back I went over to the Army & Navy surplus store on Harborne Park Rd to buy some ex army blankets for bedding for my dog. I have to say that the new road layout threw me a bit, but I was able to work it out and I must say it seems much better now. I even came in through Harborne as I was expecting a hold up at Selly Oak, but I went back through there no problem.

Phil
Make Love Not War

Mal

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »
Hi,its all fine avoiding Selly Oak on the new bypass,HOWEVER when you get the end you still have to negotiate Chapel Lane up past Sainsbury`s and created CHAOS the other end of Selly Oak,trying to get back on the Bristol Road.

Pamela

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:46:15 PM »
Mal

As I have said I haven't seen the finished bypass,instead of going up past Sainsbury's
could anyone coming off the new bypass wanting to go through Selly Oak to Bournville or Northfield directions go up Gibbins Road turn left along Weoley Park Road to get onto the Bristol Road.  For Bournville turn left at the Police Station,  straight on for Northfield.

Pam

Mal

Re: northfield and sellyoak
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »
Yes Pam they can,however the problems arise when approaching the last roundabout,it could take you up to 15 mins or more during peak periods,