Author Topic: sandy lane birmingham  (Read 5978 times)

nicolab

sandy lane birmingham
« on: May 11, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »
I have been looking at a 1911 census and it gives the address as 1 House 1 Court Sandy Lane Birmingham, I have tried to find out what type of housing this was but cannot find it any where, does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Nicola

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: sandy lane birmingham
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »
Nicola

It would have been one of a group of back houses in what was called a back court which was off the road up an alley or a tunnel entry between two other houses that fronted the road. This is an early map of 1 court, Sandy Lane, Birmingham.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

nicolab

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »
hi thankyou Phil,  do you have any idea what the area was like around that time?  I was wondering if you knew of any where I may look in finding photos etc?

many thanks nicola

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:54:38 PM »
Nicola

The Sandy Lane I remember was obviously much later than you want. I have no older photos of the Coventry Rd end of Sandy Lane and today it bears no resemblance to what it once was.

These three photos show part of Sandy Lane and I have no doubt that most of the properties were built around the same time as Court 1. The first one shows Sandy Lane from the Camp Hill end, the second one shows the junction of Sampson Rd North. The third one shows a back court, I'm sorry but I have no idea which one it is.

As for obtaining more photos, I can only suggest you get your hands on some books of the Bordesley, Small Heath and Camp Hill areas of Birmingham as you are likely to find them in any books of those areas.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »
Hi Nicolab.
My Grandparents lived in the area you refer to be it in Bolton St just off Watery Lane.They lived in a Back House probably similar to the one you are interested in.Although it some 60 years or more since I first went there I seem to remember that 'The Yard' in which they lived was also called a court.The yard served 2 houses and housed a single toilet and 'Brewhouse' [a wash building for laundry]. The houses themselves consisted of a living room about 10 feet sq a very small kitchen just big enough for a gas stove and a sink.There were two bedrooms plus a small attic and a cellar.Heating consisted of a 'Black Lead' Grate' and lighting by way of a Gas Mantle.My Mother was born in Bolton St in 1909 and lived there with her Parents, 7 seven brothers and sisters until she married my Dad in the mid 30s.The cellar was used as an Air Raid Shelter during WWII as well as a coal cellar.My mother and her sisters worked for a printing Company Jenner and Gill which was found I think in Sampson Rd which runs off Sandy Lane.There was quite a lot of Factories in the Area my Grandfather worked in a Foundry and I can still smell the Sauce Factory which was in Watery Lane. The whole area was very much lower working class in fact my Grandmother never even saw The Sea.The Birmingham City Football Stadium is still within shouting distance of Sandy Lane . In recent years many new houses have been built in the area and the back houses disappeared many years ago.I am sorry that I cannot help with any photographs but hope my little post helps
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

frederick

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
I am sure my adoptive mothers farther lived in Sandy lane his name was John Sheldon.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

nicolab

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
Thankyou to all of you it is lovely to be able to have a image of what life would have been like, I haven't come across a John Sheldon yet but I am still researching the area, if I find anything I will let you know. My great grandfather was a Tank Riveter between 1906 & 1911 does any body know where he may have worked in the Balsall Heath area?  I live in Kent about 3 hours drive away even though most of my family are from Balsall Heath (Newell & Cole family)  & Stafford (Rothwell family) I have never been to Balsall Heath, my parents lost touch with the Newell/Cole family in the 1960's which is such a shame. I have found it is much easier to trace long gone relatives than ones who may still be alive. 

Many thanks to all of you

Nicola

Carol Ann Coleclough nee

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »
Hi
Thank you for letting me join
I was born in Sandy Lane  no 98 used to be a butchers  the builders yard belonged to a Mr Colin’s  Frank was the owner of the corner cafe next my house was a fish and chip shop the other side of us was a small cafe that a Mrs Peters owned loved my child hood there

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 12:07:06 PM »
Hi Carol Or do you prefer Carol Ann,

Welcome to the forum,  I can't say that I remember the cafe at number 96 as I always used the one on the corner of Sampson road north, I do remember builder Supply Ltd under the Railway bridge though.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

johnlloyd

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 10:15:15 PM »
Hi
Thank you for letting me join
I was born in Sandy Lane  no 98 used to be a butchers  the builders yard belonged to a Mr Colin’s  Frank was the owner of the corner cafe next my house was a fish and chip shop the other side of us was a small cafe that a Mrs Peters owned loved my child hood there

Reg the plasterer

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 04:13:20 PM »
I lived in Sandy lane from 1944 untill1966 the at 10 /95 the builders yard was by the bridge the newsagents next door the cafe was mrs peters abookies a cafe on corner of Sampson rd an outdoor opposite

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy