Author Topic: children exhibition 1960s Dr Who Darlek & Lion Cubs from 'Born Free'  (Read 2500 times)

donapr

Can anyone remember An exhibition aimed at kids in the mid 1960s, I have memories of this event which I'm sure was in B'ham. Also

remember sitting holding a lion cub which was from or connected with the film' born free'.

Also a Darlek being there... that's all I can remember......anyone else have memories ???

Ta :)  Donapr

lavender

Re: children exhibition 1960s Dr Who Darlek & Lion Cubs from 'Born Free'
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:24:47 PM »
It was at the Ideal Home Exhibition at Bingley Hall - I was there too!

donapr

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:34:13 PM »

Hello..Really pleased to get you comment, you are the only reply I have had. Can you remember the year? I think I was about 7 which would makes it about 1965.

Regards

lavender

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:19:31 AM »
Either you are on same side of Atlantic as me, or up rather late!
I believe you are about right on the year, I would have been about 7-9 so it might have been 63-65 - just not sure how old I was
We got these awful nodding dogs from there I think that was the year they were 'invented' lol

wam

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »
I don't remember this stuff from the Ideal Home but they used to do something like this every year for the kids. 1963 is probably early for Dr Who and 1965 might be too early for Born Free. The film Born free came out in 1966 but the books had been around since 1960.

lavender

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »
1963 was the first Doctor Who and Born Free was released in 66, so 65 is possibly the right date, as they would be doing pre-publicity for the film or follow up to the book launch.     did you see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PBqv-G2snA

wam

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
1963 was the first Doctor Who and Born Free was released in 66, so 65 is possibly the right date, as they would be doing pre-publicity for the film or follow up to the book launch.     

The BBC weren't well known for promoting TV shows at exhibitions so the Daleks will probably show up in 65-67 courtesy of the film versions.
Born Free might have promoted for the 2nd book in 1963 but I wouldn't have thought they'd do it much. You're more likely to have seen that when the film was released here. As we got such things a year after the USA, that's probably 1967.
I haven't been able to find anything on the Ideal Home Exhibition in Birmingham in the 60s but you might be interested in these clips that are (mostly) from the Olympia version.
http://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/ideal+home/start/1960/end/1970

lavender

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
You may well be right, I do know that I definitely saw the Lion Cubs and they were at Bingley Hall Ideal Home, we never got out much, so that was a major highlight for us.     As for Daleks, I dont know on that one, other than they 'lived' at the BBC sound place just near Worcester. They still were there about 15 years ago, when I went to the place, now a hotel Wood Norton Hall - was being shown around and suddenly turned a corner to see a dalek in front of me LOL.     Wood Norton Hall was a listening place during either cold war or wartime and BBC had sound studios there for a period of time.   So it is possible they got the bus to Bingley Hall one weekend :)

stevieboy1

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
I went to this exhibition and it was the mid 60's. The reason I remember is that on the way in I was completely alone and an old black limo turned up and out got William Hartnell the first ever Dr Who. He said hello and went inside. I also remember being poked rather nastily by a dalek with the plunger! Me and mates later got own back by whizzing him around.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »
Hello and welcome Stevieboy1

I remember the Dr Who exhibition at Blackpool, but I don't think I ever went inside as it opened in 1974 and I would have been a little too old by then I think. This Wikipedia article makes no mention of an exhibition in Birmingham, but perhaps ad it was in the 60's it's not listed there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_exhibitions
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

steve.cefn

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 11:26:57 PM »
I remember it well one of the exhibits was the battle of Waterloo the dalek was on show by the first stall as you came through the door there were several shops selling model kits ect it would have been around 65  66 oh the joys of innocent times
Thanks for remembering this special time
As a matter of interest the Dalek and Dr Who exhibition was there to promote the new film daleks invasion earth 2050 AD staring Peter Cushing and Bernard Cribbins

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy