Author Topic: Does anyone remember the B.S.A Golden hillock rd  (Read 29391 times)

Brum Walker

Re: Does anyone remember the B.S.A Golden hillock rd
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »
I had a BSA Motor Cycle in the 1970s. In my quest to keep it on the road, I recall meeting an old feller who worked in the prototype department. of the BSA, at GHRd.  Can't recall his name now, but what he didn't know about BSA Motor-Cycles wasn't worth knowing. His double garage in Great Barr was an Alladin's cave of restored old bikes. He helped me get mine running at least. Why the heck I never took any photos of my bikes, I shall never know!
Thanks for the memories.

Brum Walker

(Spell-checker doesn't seem to work very well!)

speedy

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 05:39:13 PM »
I had a BSA Motor Cycle in the 1970s. In my quest to keep it on the road, I recall meeting an old feller who worked in the prototype department. of the BSA, at GHRd.  Can't recall his name now, but what he didn't know about BSA Motor-Cycles wasn't worth knowing. His double garage in Great Barr was an Alladin's cave of restored old bikes. He helped me get mine running at least. Why the heck I never took any photos of my bikes, I shall never know!
Thanks for the memories.

Brum Walker

(Spell-checker doesn't seem to work very well!)
Hi brum walker i have just had a look at the photo's and there are a few i still remember Mr Alister Cave our Director my old forman of the grining department and of course at the back was oue head union rep ossy. lovely photo. speedy

winnymag

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 05:43:18 PM »
Altough I worked at the B.S.A I never owned one I only ever owned Triumph motorcycles I always thought B.S.A were slogger's more for trials or pulling sidecars, must admit though I used to enjoy riding them around the factory at every oppertunity.
winnymag :D

Remembering the B.S.A. when i left school in 1960 my 1st job was at B.S,A.Tools in Montgomery Street.Tap and Die section under foreman Harold Jackson. I lasted around a year. I then moved into Demolition and was one of the crew that Demolished the Golden Hillock site which took over 2 years. With J.J.Gallagher with whom i worked for 25 Years until being made redundant in 1994 when J.J. died.
walt00.

cocacolakid

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »
'
Altough I worked at the B.S.A I never owned one I only ever owned Triumph motorcycles I always thought B.S.A were slogger's more for trials or pulling sidecars, must admit though I used to enjoy riding them around the factory at every oppertunity.
winnymag :D

Not so sure about all the BSA bikes being sloggers. For instance, the A.10 Road Rocket, the Rocket Gold Star, and of course the original Gold Star Clubmans, 350cc & 500cc models.  The Gold Star Clubmans were the machines that a number of top line racers cut their teeth on, before moving on to "Manx Nortons"  The affore mentioned BSA's certainly were not sloggers.

O0

I understand you having a desire for Triumph motorcycles, they were very sporty and good looking bikes. As you will know, Triumph became part of the BSA group.
                                                                                                            Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

speedy

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »
'
Not so sure about all the BSA bikes being sloggers. For instance, the A.10 Road Rocket, the Rocket Gold Star, and of course the original Gold Star Clubmans, 350cc & 500cc models.  The Gold Star Clubmans were the machines that a number of top line racers cut their teeth on, before moving on to "Manx Nortons"  The affore mentioned BSA's certainly were not sloggers.

O0

I understand you having a desire for Triumph motorcycles, they were very sporty and good looking bikes. As you will know, Triumph became part of the BSA group.
                                                                                                           Malc.
Don't know if you will remember this but they closed the BSA to keep the Triumph open caused quite a bit of bad blood did that. speedy

cocacolakid

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 09:23:31 AM »
Don't know if you will remember this but they closed the BSA to keep the Triumph open caused quite a bit of bad blood did that. speedy

speedy..
I was not aware that the reason for the BSA closing down,was in order to keep the Triumph company open. I can understand the BSA workers being miffed about that.   :(     Thanks for the info.    O0

Do you know what happened to the other companies i.e Ariel, that were in the BSA group, when they folded ?
                                                                                                                                                                                           Malc.

winnymag

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »
B.S.A and Triumph were to close along with other companies that were owned by the B.S.A groupe but the Triumph workers decided to have a sit in and blockaded themselfs in using the bikes as barracades. So when the B.S.A closed the Triumph worker's stayed in the works under protest of the closure their familyn taking care of their food and drink, they were closed long enough to afford and negotiate a co operative that was viable for a couple of years or so. I think the outcome was as i have said but not absolutely sure.

winnymag

cocacolakid

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
[quote author=winnymag link=topic=7626.msg256419#msg256419 date=1339253535]
B.S.A and Triumph were to close along with other companies that were owned by the B.S.A groupe but the Triumph workers decided to have a sit in and blockaded themselfs in using the bikes as barracades. So when the B.S.A closed the Triumph worker's stayed in the works under protest of the closure their familyn taking care of their food and drink, they were closed long enough to afford and negotiate a co operative that was viable for a couple of years or so. I think the outcome was as i have said but not absolutely sure.

winnymag

winnymag...
the things you mention have rung a few bells. now you mention it, I can remember the triumph workers forming some sort of co-operative. I feel sure that there is a lot of truth in what you say. I still wonder what happened to Ariel motorcycles, their factory was in Selly Oak.???
                                                              Malc.

winnymag

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »
Again not sure but I think when Aerial was purchased by B.S.A they closed the factory and the workforce was intergrated with the B.S.A Armoury rd also they kept the rights to manufacture Aerial, remember the Aerial three?
winnymag.

cocacolakid

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
Again not sure but I think when Aerial was purchased by B.S.A they closed the factory and the workforce was intergrated with the B.S.A Armoury rd also they kept the rights to manufacture Aerial, remember the Aerial three?
winnymag.

Sure I remember them, "Noddy Trike" a bit of a gimmick, not for real motorcyclists.

I had an  Ariel Leader and an Ariel Arrow, with an Avon sports fairing.      The only BSA I owned, was a 250cc C.15.

Malc.                               

winnymag

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
We used to knock the silencer's off em and take em on the track we could get all of an extra 2mph out of em  ;D
winnymag

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy