Author Topic: Barwell Terrace, Barwell Road Small Heath  (Read 10950 times)

Brum Walker

Barwell Terrace, Barwell Road Small Heath
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »
Hi Folks,

Does anyone remember Barwell Road, Small Heath (Circa 1950s)

I've found what used to be the junction of Barwell Road, with Garrison Lane, and it seems to have been built over with newish housing.

The was the way my folks used to get into Barwell Road, to visit my Nan's house, which was in Barwell Terrace, right at the other end of Barwell Road, on the left.

I can remember that we walked through an 'entry', into the terrace, with the back-to-back houses on the left, and a row of 'outhouses' on the right. At the end of the Terrace, there was a brick wall, that I could just about see over, where the Bordesley Canal ran by.

I also remember the Acorn Tavern/Inn, which I believe is now called the Beau Brummie. Can anyone assist please?

Obliged.

John  :)

Janeta

Re: Barwell Terrace, Barwell Road Small Heath
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:04:34 PM »
Hi john,

My mom and dad managed the acorn inn for a coupe years around 1970/1971 Eric and Betty child's. We used to go to  the fairs on garrison lane

blowfishbob

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
I lived on Wolseley Street back in 1973 to 1977.

Barwell Road faced Wolseley Street on the Garrison Lane, it was on the corner of Barwell Street that The Acorn was situated(Garrison Lane end), I think it was around 1975-76 that the Acorn was closed down, the Beau Brummie is not the Acorn, it was a Davenports when I was there and I think it was called the 'Hen & Chickens'
The area was generally run down , many of the houses on Wolseley Street were empty and there were some back to back houses on the Garrison Lane that were removed to make a bomb-peck, although run down, it was a great adventure ground for me and my brother, we were only around 7-10 at the time.
The Garrison Lane park used to have the Fair every year, one half was tarmac and the other half grass, but over the years the grass has grown threw the tarmac to make it all grass, that may be why the fair does not go there anymore.
I noted on the map that half of Artillery Street had disappeared, at the very end of Wolseley Street there used to be a 'Youth Club' with a Christmas party every year(some held in St Andrews Church(not there anymore) , they also had an old coach there where they used to have bingo sessions, some happy times, but it was a bit of a dump at that stage. 

It is nice to see what it looks like now, but sad in a way that only memories remain. :-(

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »
Hello and welcome to you all,

My brother in law lived in Grey Street in the 70's (the next one up Garrison Lane from Barwell St) I used to visit him on Saturday mornings. We always went for a drink in the Acorn with another couple of mates. As blowfishbob says the Acorn was an Ansells House and The Hen & Chickens in Lower Dartmouth St which later became the Beau Brummie was a Davenports House.  I believe it's now called Bainsy's Bar.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blowfishbob

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
That's brilliant Phil,

If you look all the way to the left of the Acorn pub pic, you can just about see 'The Sportsman' which is still there.

The Acorn and the Garrison hold fond memories for me as I had to go and get a neighbour called Bill's daily medicine (cider) to which he gave me 2p, I used go just across the road and spend it in the phonebox listening to 160 and the latest hit, it seems crazy, but the pub's would know it was for him and gave it to a 9yr old,...ha ha!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »
blowfishbob

Although the Sportsman was on the corner of Grey Street my sisters road we never used it after the day we were going to a wedding and we popped in there for a drink while we waited for a taxi. There were five of us all dressed up in our best togs, I sat on a stool and the rest sat on the bench seats that ran along the wall.

When we got up all those who sat on the bench seats their backs were covered in soot. Luckily the women were wearing topcoats so it was only a matter of changing them, but two of the lads had to go and change their suits. We complained to the gaffer but all he could say was that they had just had the chimneys swept and he was sorry and that we should complain to the brewery.

We later did this and we sent a bill for the cleaning of all the articles involved, e never even got an answer.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blowfishbob

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:16:02 PM »
Phil,

It left its mark in one or the other.  :(

I went to St Andrews Junior School, the year I left 1977 ,I believe they closed the senior school down, it was also the year that Green Lane baths (where I learnt to swim) and library shut down because they had built Muntz Street.

I have noted on google maps that a lot of the open roads have been made into dead ends, it reminded me in the 70's there was a drama series shot in and around St Andrews Road - Street, but I cannot remember for the life of me what it was called, it was a low budget affair, but it was nice to see them filming.

It also brings back the memories of Kenny Burns hurling abuse out of his car windows when screeching past in his car.

I can also remember there were Kestrels beside the railway that could be seen everyday hunting for prey, the school has not changed a lot in all this time, apart from the external toilets are missing and North and South Holmes have not changed at all.

acer

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 06:05:08 PM »
Hi Brum walker nice to hear people remembering Barwell road I lived at 39 Barwell road until I got married in 1969. I remember the Back to Backs my mother had a friend in Barwell terrace an irish lady .I have been down since , our house knocked down the rest still standing. Do you remember a shop named cox in Barwell road corner of ash grove?  Top of the road the little grocer shop is still there :)

blowfishbob

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 10:16:28 PM »
Visited the park by chance Sunday and the old 'Hen & Chickens' is called Bainsey's.

The building still looks very much like the old photo, although it looks like they have cleaned the stone.

The names of the streets interested me and I wanted to spend some time to investigate why they were so named.

Gordon St
Artillery St
Barwell St
Maxstoke St
Wolseley St
Garrison Lane
Witton St
Lower Dartmouth St

Just wondering if there was some sort of municitions factory?.

blowfishbob

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »
Thought I would offer up a picture of the recent pubs.

Old Hen & Chickens

blowfishbob

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
And the Garrison.... :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy