Author Topic: Barwell Terrace, Barwell Road Small Heath  (Read 10955 times)

lmr3103

Re: Barwell Terrace, Barwell Road Small Heath
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 12:24:01 AM »
Hello and welcome to you all,

My brother in law lived in Grey Street in the 70's (the next one up Garrison Lane from Barwell St) I used to visit him on Saturday mornings. We always went for a drink in the Acorn with another couple of mates. As blowfishbob says the Acorn was an Ansells House and The Hen & Chickens in Lower Dartmouth St which later became the Beau Brummie was a Davenports House.  I believe it's now called Bainsy's Bar.

Thank you for that great pic of the Acorn pub, it brings back many memories.
We lived in Gordon Street from about 1966 til 1974, and my Dad was a regular there.
I remember barmaids Shirley and Blanche, and a landlady called Bobbi.
Many a night my Mom would be banging on the Acorn doors after hours to get my dad out! At least she always knew where he was!

Naven

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »
Hi Acer,
Did you know the Sleet family at all? They lived at 27 Barwell Road. I'm a distant relative trying to find out what happened to them. If anyone can help I would be forever grateful.

monkeyman

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 09:52:19 PM »
Hi all,
.         my nan and grandad use to run the acorn back in the 50's. They were Fred and christine (Nora) barker. On the other corner my great nanny cridge use to run the greengrocers. My other nan grandad ..... William and Alice hill use to live at 73 Wolseley street.

Dan.tennent1985

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »
Hi all,
.         my nan and grandad use to run the acorn back in the 50's. They were Fred and christine (Nora) barker. On the other corner my great nanny cridge use to run the greengrocers. My other nan grandad ..... William and Alice hill use to live at 73 Wolseley street.

Hi monkeyman,
                            Your grand parents are my great grandparents I don't know much about them just little bits and pieces my granddad Terry told me before he passed away. Just wondering who you are?

monkeyman

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 08:53:01 PM »
Hi Dan,

If I'm right, your grandad terry was my uncle..... My moms brother. Your mom is my cousin. Tell your mom my name..... Graham hill, my mom is Josie.

Thanks

Nannygoat

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 12:00:36 AM »
Hello,
         your nan and grandad were my mom and dads best friends.They lived in Barwell square,Barwell rd.In the square were six houses.Watson,us and smith on one side,Barker,cook and weston opposite.They had two sons,Terry and Johny "lemon".Nora delivered my brother,Val,and probably me as well.We were all together during the war(i was born in 1943)and into the late fifties.Nanny Cridge lived in ash grove(still there) until moving to the greengrocers on the corner of our st. opposite the Acorn pub.Joe,Harry and Violet Cridge were close by and auntie Cridge,cant place first name at momment,lived a few doors up from the grove,just past Cox the grocers shop.Billy and Michael Cridge came with their mom,Dolly,in the fifties,from South Africa.Terry and Johny lemon were in our gang.We had some great times.

Denis.

NB.The square and terrace were different places.Square halfway up Barwell rd, on left,terrace a lttle further on, by the drappers shop.

monkeyman

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 02:09:55 AM »
Hi denis,
.            thankyou for the message. Just a couple of things..... Il be seeing my uncle john soon and would like to mention this to him. What is your last name please? And also, whats with "lemon"? Lol. When you mentioned auntie cridge you didn't know her first name? Well, her name was "violet". When I see my mom in the morning I will also show her what you have wrote. Just in case your wondering, my mom is Josephine and her twin brother is Kevin.

Nannygoat

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 09:21:20 PM »
hello again,
                  yes,remember now, auntie Violet,very pleasant lady,always seemed to be smiling.We are the Crowley family, Winnie and Tom my mom and dad,Valentine(yes Valentine) who was my brother.All have sadly passed away.Val got on very well with Michael Cridge,they were a little younger than Lemon and me.Terry was older and probably knocked around with Terry Watson and perhaps Brian,his brother. He would have known Maurice Odeon who lived in the grocers shop straight across the rd. on the corner of Gordon st. and Garrison Lane.Ask him about Barry Bishop who was just down the road across the Lane and what he remembers about Brian Attwood who lived a few houses down from us.I have a couple of photos somewhere,one taken in Ash Grove showing all the st. on coronation day standing in front of a sharra(you might have this one) and another showing Terry,Lemon,Val and me on our bikes in front of our house in the square.All three wheelers i think so you can guess how old we were.Last saw Nora and Lemon at Vals funeral in 1999.If can find photos and you are interested,could let you have a copy.Oh,and Lemon Barker.When ever anyone looked into his pram,saw him with mom,dad or even nanny Cridge,he was ALWAYS DRESSED IN LEMON.We kids loved asking if Lemon can come out to play.Dont know if your uncle liked it,might find out if he as still has a sense of humour,did as a kid,we laughed a lot.Hope you find this interesting,nice to reminisce.

Denis.

Think i know your mom.

monkeyman

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »
Hi,
.    thankyou for that. My mom has asked me to ask you if you could send us a copy of those photo's please. My uncle terry passed away a few years ago and my uncle john in now living in Dudley. My nan (Nora) also passed away a few years ago as well. I'm also going out in 2weeks time with my moms side of the family. One of them is auntie violet (Nora's sister) . My email address is g.a.h at live.co.uk

Thankyou very much
Graham hill

planetmalc

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 02:37:36 PM »
Valentine(yes Valentine) who was my brother.

An unusual name, but I knew a guy with that name in the 1960's.     He used to frequent the Gondola Cafe on Coventry Road (between Muntz Street & Charles Road), as did others from the Garrison Lane area.     I can barely remember his appearance, but think he may have been blond(ish) and born around the late 1940's   -   would this be the same person?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Jacko

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »
Hi all,
Here's a photo of the opposite corner to the "Acorn", regards, John.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy