Author Topic: Belmont Row Ashted  (Read 37807 times)

Whitty

Re: Belmont Row Ashted
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2019, 06:52:02 PM »
Tom Waters had a made to measure tailoring shop
Beautifully made suits
also Stans then Jubys cafe was on the corner
This was in 1959
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Cliff666

« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »
Yes my grandmother lived at back of tailors at  95 Belmont Row... her  living room door went into there shop , it was unlocked for some reason one night and my sister and myself found our selves in there      Lol

Burd

« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2020, 09:26:47 PM »
Hi First time I have found this Forum. I was born in 1950 in Belmont Row at No.66. My Grandmother lived there from around 1916 & then my mother lived there. Her maiden name was Keye. We were cleared out in 1959 with the slum clearance. I remember the Horton & the Humpage family. The Burden Family lived next to us and I used to play with Peter. They lived in the last house before the waste ground. I can also remember the Preece family who I think were related to the Hortons. Obviously I attended Windsor Sreet school from 1955. I actually suffered a serious accident to my hand in 1959 on the other waste ground by Pitt Street, if anyone remembers that.
I need to rack my brain a bit more now & also spend a bit more time reading these threads.

Dave, if you pick this up could you please get in touch? Peter is my dad & he’d love to meet up if there’s a chance. Thanks

Burd

« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2020, 11:34:41 PM »
we lived at number 71 belmont row and i was born in 1950, i can remember at the end of our block of houses was a bit of wasteland where we used to go play...there were two boys ( not brothers ) that used to play with us there one was Peter and the other David does anyone remember them

[size=0px]Dawn, if you pick this up could you please get in touch? Peter is my dad & he’d love to meet up if there’s a chance. Thanks[/size]

NatalieGrove

« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2020, 10:30:51 PM »
Phil, I think the house known as the lock keepers cottage is No. 34. It remained in the family until very recently when my dad's uncle Fred finally sold it to the developers. st.evenlucy, my great grandfather and his sons had the businesses there. George, George jnr, Syd, Alf. My father, another George, was still using the yard belong to Fred when he started driving trucks. I visited the strange almost triangular house (we called it the Toblerone House) several times. We still have the deeds to 33 and the original sale documents for 34. I think it had previously belonged to an Evans. Hope I've got that right. Must check with my Father.

This is incredibly interesting to find out. My Granddad is the Fred Grove you are talking about. I remember running around that house and being shouted out not to go down to the canal! Would be lovely to hear from you even if this post was so long ago.

susanfreeth

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2021, 02:00:34 PM »
Does anyone still post on this thread.  Pam has mentioned so many people that I remember.  My name is Susan Shaw and I lived in Gopsal Street.  I went to Windsor Primary and then Bloomsbury Girls.  Apologies is I am too late.  Regards

NatalieGrove

« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2021, 12:07:37 PM »
Susan, it will not allow me to reply back to your personal messages, i cant seem to figure out this website! sorry!

NatalieGrove

« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2021, 06:15:29 PM »
Susan, is there any other way to get in touch? I’m on Facebook as Natalie Grove, photo includes blonde girl and twins if you have it. I’m actually Marvin’s daughter.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy