Author Topic: Belmont Row Ashted  (Read 37808 times)

derek

Re: Belmont Row Ashted
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
the junk shop was on coleshill street and was called venns,further up was George Price butchers,the post office les browns grocers lathburys chemist and mrs jacksons sweet shop,which used to be a tripe shop,you could buy a 1 penny glass of pop or a bag of broken crisps mmm,opposite was the blackpool fish shop and the café was on the corner.

townie

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
Phil I found the Kings Arms at no9 Howe Street Circa 1840s - 1970s no photo yet but still looking
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Charles Gardiner

« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »
Derek I think your may be talking about our Johnny, Not with us anymore pass on 3 years ago, Did you live in A--B Terrace Lawrence Street ????, Our terrace Baileys, Moors, The old lady Mrs Holiday, The Wyses, The Hogans, Us the Gardiners, the Timmins, the Cox s, The Howls, The O'Brien, The Roaches, The Henry's, The Daltons,

derek

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
so sorry to hear about johnny,he was a lovely kid,i lived in ryder street,are you the chap who worked on demolition?hope you are well,you had it tough as kids,thats why we looked after john.regards derek

Charles Gardiner

« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »
Derek My elder brothers Tony and Bobby worked on the Demo, I joined the Arm forces   " Commandos " and yes to having it rough but then we all did around that area, There were 8 of us we have lost 3 Bobby Johnny and sister Kathleen,  Derek i do have very good memories of Lawrence street and Gosta Green, You know what they say When the going gets Tough,  Johnny Marclo, The Ryders, Binnels, Westerns Fulfords, McCabs, the on Gem Street The Locks, The Jacksons, You have got me thinking Derek i use to pal around with a friend name Johnny from Ryder Street his family were very good to me ???

Tinabeard

« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »
I lived in Curzon Street from 1942, My G.G,grandparents were bombed out of Belmont Row in about 1942/1943 and moved up to the top of Vauxhall Road. A Mallen family lived next door to us and I think  another family of Mallens lived in Howe Street  they were all boys . I remember a lot of the names mentioned on this forum ,Cattullo, Knowles, and my cousins were Jennings . Mom also remembers  the Yeomans in Belmont Row.
hi, the Yeomans were my great grandparents and run the shop.  Their names were elsie and bill and the childrens names were Rene, bill, david, jimmy, ronnie, brian and bernard.  anyone else remember them? 

HUMPAGE-FRANCIS

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2015, 12:50:30 PM »
The lamp maker at no 50 Belmont row..YES BEEN TOLD by family member, it fits in, Grandfather lived also at that house number, he sold newspapers and ALSO lamp oil, so they worked hand in hand?..he also handmade ornamental badges in the cellar-kept rabbits in the back garden- I just wish someone would come up with pics of a few houses, shops etc-One house left now in Belmont Road for posterity no doubt that was opposite number 50.When will they decide what to do with the Workhouse building top of the Row, they will wait till its a complete danger then demolish it no doubt...THATS BIRMINGHAM COUNCIL 4 you?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2015, 03:23:57 PM »
Hi Humpage-Francis

The trouble is that most people who photographed Belmont Row only seemed to bother with the ex cycle works later the Co-op workshops. Not as you suggested a Workhouse, whatever is seems that most people thought it the only building worth photographing. I do have this other photo in addition to the ones I have posted previously it shows the junction of Belmont Row and Prospect Row and would have been somewhat opposite the Black Horse and Woodcock St I suppose.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

HUMPAGE-FRANCIS

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »
THANKS 4 that Phil, looks about 1950's pic taken, see A35 cars in pic.
That pic opposite Woodcock st where many inc my Mum attended to use the Public Baths.
Mum went to Woodcock St schools, anyone know if it still stands?

HUMPAGE-FRANCIS

« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »
My uncle Len Hart who lived I believe in Penn St was the main man at Curzon St train station.
AND SO BIRMINGHAM goes onwards and upwards, but it tends to 4get that we need to retain old buildings to show people their roots..I donot agree with councils making decisions without asking the people their feelings b4 action is taken...BUT why shud they listen to us, those that make these decisions do not live in Brum or in any way connected no doubt?--Cllr Mike Whitby once leader of Brum council now Lord Whitby for favours to Tory party made these type of decisions and he didn't live in Brum at all...sorry Mike but I didn't agree with your actions.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2015, 08:01:57 PM »
THANKS 4 that Phil, looks about 1950's pic taken, see A35 cars in pic.
That pic opposite Woodcock st where many inc my Mum attended to use the Public Baths.
Mum went to Woodcock St schools, anyone know if it still stands?

I have no memory of a Woodcock Street School, the closest school to Belmont Row would have been in Windsor Street and that like most of everything else in that area has gone. The photo I think would have to be after 1959 because of the Bedford TK lorry which wasn't produced until that year.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy