Author Topic: Belmont Row Ashted  (Read 37801 times)

page

Belmont Row Ashted
« on: June 08, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »
Does any body have any pictures of Belmont Row or the roads by there, i lived there in the 50s at number 71 humpage is our surname, The house over the road from ours that spanned the cut is still there, we used to borrow half a crown from the lady who lived there.  The White House pub is still there over the road from the pub was a sweet shop called Sue,is   she had a paraffin heater in there, the sweets always smelt of paraffin, also on the corner of belmont and lawley st and curson st there were the coalman who kept his horses in the side yard , just down the road in Dartmouth st was a army dump for old trucks.  I went to Winsor st school and Loxton st

vauxonion

Re: Belmont Row Ashted
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »
Hello Page welcome as far as I am aware only one house is left in Belmont Row and that is the Lock-keepers house by the canal bridge.I lived in Vauxhall Rd and walked up there many hundred of times onto Coleshill St I also swam in the canal at times not that often as it was filthy and polluted.When a little older I loaded coal lorries on Curzon St wharf.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »
Hi page

Welcome to you, I'm afraid I have very few photos of Belmont Row. I have one of the factory that was built for Coopers the cycle manufacturers but by the time it was built they had gone out of business, one of St Peters Mission and one of Birmingham Wastes premises.

Though I'm afraid I have none of the houses, but if you look in the Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley thread you will find plenty of photos of the surrounding area.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

page

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Thanks for your pictures Phil it takes u back, tar for your help Vauxonion does any body remember the old junk shop at the top of Belmont row i think it was on A B Row or the start of Dale End u could go in there and get all sorts for a few pence, i used to buy pen knives with bone handles, on the floor as you walk in the owner had stuck a shilling coin and used to smile when people tried to pick it up, those were the days.

HUMPAGE-FRANCIS

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 01:50:20 PM »
Well now what a blast from the past, my Mum was born in Belmont Row 1909(died 2010) and she married a man who's mothers maiden name was HUMPAGE, her sister Lillian married a man named Len Hart who lived in a Road back of Belmont Row, possibly Penn Street. I would appreciate the person posted as HUMPAGE contact me to see if we are connected?-HUMPAGE is a big family, I have a family tree going back to 1842 who had no less than 9 children. With Mom's side CORRALL going back to 1505-our ancestor Rev Slapp taught the Thomas Wolsey, later CARDINAL at St Mary's Church in BOTTESDALE, Sussex.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
Humpage is a very rare surname, and the origins are entirely from the 'Black Country'. Should you research further back, you will find the name listed as 'Huntchbach', 'Huntback' etc., and that will give you a clue as to the origins of the surname. I too have family connections....Let's see if you recognise the 'name' I am listed under? I have a 'Humpage Tree' going way back.....and many were in Vauxhall...Erskine St, Belmont Row....etc. Are you in anyway related to a Roland Humpage?

HUMPAGE-FRANCIS

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 03:17:20 PM »
Try again, pc went off completely!
No idea if anything got sent, here goes again.
No Roland found.
I start at 1842,

HUMPAGE-FRANCIS

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »
No Roland. Can go back to 1842 THOMAS HUMPAGE. Married AMELIA DALLAWAY, had 9 children, all born around Ladywood-Edgbaston.What's the year of Roland?

HUMPAGE-FRANCIS

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »
Thomas Humpage was born in GNOSALL, STAFFS...his sons was in the Hussars, name was Oscar.

HUMPAGE-FRANCIS

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 03:31:17 PM »
My grandmother was LAURA born 1882 in Ladywood.

HUMPAGE-FRANCIS

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »
Would anyone know the house number of the only 1 or 2 houses left standing(maybe gone now) people say they were the lock keepers homes?..from that I want to find where number 50 was where my mother lived, may have been turned into a shop as they sold lamp oil and newspapers, grandfather worked in cellar making army badges.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy