Author Topic: Belmont Row Ashted  (Read 37811 times)

dawnie

Re: Belmont Row Ashted
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 09:44:38 PM »
i used to play with a david and peter who lived futher down the road ,we used to play digging on the wasteland and i think it was peters mom who had a red indian canoo orament in the living room...my name was then dawn humpage ..and i was born nov 1950,my two elder brothers were danny and rolly we lived at number 71 next to the factory that made the glass domes for the road lights....the flechers lived next door to us i think

DaveB

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 01:24:52 PM »
I can remember the name Danny Humpage. I have a feeling he played with my neighbour and friend Peter Burden. The surname Humpage rings a few bells with me, but I'm sorry I can't remember you Dawn.
I recall the people opposite us were the Hortons, who I thought were related to you, and I can remember a Jennifer. It's all a bit hazy now.
Dave

dawnie

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »
yes dave we all played on the waste land,my brother danny used to climb the fence of the factory and get the domed glass that used in the roadlights and he would set fire to paper with it ...he is also on forum....and you re right we are related to the hortons....i too went to winsor st school ,i think we moved from belmont row to spooner street when i was about 7ish ....time flies ...do you remember seeing the bodies of children that had drowned being brought out of the canal locks where they had fallin in and drowned ..i can still see them wrapped in the red blankets my eldest brother rolly was allways messing down the canals

vauxonion

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »
Dawnie I come from Erskine St Almost opposite Spooner St we used to swim in the canal by you (how we were never poisoned I dont know) the Lock Keeper used to come out of his house bawling his head off we just legged it onto Curzon St and back home.Dek

dawnie

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 09:47:50 PM »
my eldest brother rolly was always playing down the canals as far as i know he and his mates used to go into the tunnel storm drains that flowed  into the canal,he also used to play in the graveyards and would go down into some of the vaults

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2012, 10:25:22 PM »
I can remember the Civil Defence having a training compound in Belmont Row,I did a lot of my basic training for the Ambulance Service there in 1968.

page

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
Ok is there any body on here who climbed over the fence in Dartmouth st to go and play on the old army dump, always wanted to but never did    Also does any remember the two brothers who lived in Curson st that were always fighting each other. Some names KINGSTON, KATELOES, KNOWLES, BATES, WATKINS, JENKINS, LYNCH,   and Birdwhistle ring any bells. DAN O0

blane

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »
I remember an army dump in Heneage Street,Dartmouth Street end,that belonged to Fletchers that had tanks in there,we used to climb over 8' corrugated sheet gates to get in.Spent many an afternoon in there playing soldiers instead of going to school.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
There used to a couple of scrap yards that used to salvage army webbing for the brass fittings, one at the bottom end of Francis Street and one at the back of the Council Salvage yard in Montague Street where we used to supply ourselves with belts and backpacks and ammunition pouches and even the odd tin hat.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Akatarawa

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 02:57:50 AM »
This is an interesting thread.

I used to know a Roy Humpage in the early 60's who worked at Joseph Lucas and was somewhat of a pretty clever bloke.

My Grandfather and Grandmother Proctor were married at St Clements Church in 1904,  and some time between then and when my mother was born in 1910 they went to live at 12 Belmont Row, where they lived until around 1935'ish when they moved to Perry Common Road.

My Moms childhood memories are centred around Belmont Row.  She says she used to go to sunday school at St Peters when I showed her the photo Phil posted.
She said the Co-op bakery was across the road from where she lived, and she used to sneak in there of a sunday when no one was around and play in the bread carts.

She used to go to Windsor St school and had the same teacher as my Grandma had back in the 1880's.

She also said she lived next to a factory, last week it was where metal was smelted, this week she said it was a cycle factory :)

CaroleC

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »
Hi Michael

Welcome to the forum, have we spoken before somewhere else? The best I can do with Howe Street is the top and the bottom of it, It's junction with Curzon St ans at the other it's junction with AB Row.

Phil

T[size=78%]hank you so much Phil for the 'photos of Howe street, I think the grocers was owned by a Mr Connor and was duly called Connors, my great grandparents lived in Howe street, and I lived there with my parents for a brief spell in the early 50s. I remember a pub called the Kings Arms on the corner near my great grans house in Howe street, also an Italian chap called Tambora had a shop on the main road at the top of Howe street.[/size]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy