Author Topic: Belmont Row Ashted  (Read 37799 times)

Daisy1

Re: Belmont Row Ashted
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
I lived in Howe street in about 1946- 1952 one of the photos showing a cul de sac with a shop if I am correct was run by Charlie and Irene Bush, does anyone remember them. Our family name was Forrester and my grandparents who lived in Curzon Street were Dave and Ellen Millichamp.

Daisy

gmallen

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
Anybody remember the Mallen family? Waste paper merchants at 34 Belmont Row and a coach company in Gopsal St. They lived in 33 and 34 Belmont Row. 34 is the house still standing.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »
Hi gmallen,

Welcome to you.

I can't say that I remember any of your family but I do remember Belmont. I thought that the remaining house was the old lock keepers cottage and that was the reason it was left standing. I remember the old Co-op building at the top of the road that was built as a bicycle manufactory but went bankrupt before it was built.

I also remember that Doyle's had a yard down there or was it two, like the rest of the area it is very much changed to what it used to be,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

st.evenlucy

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2013, 06:21:26 PM »
I lived in Curzon Street from 1942, My G.G,grandparents were bombed out of Belmont Row in about 1942/1943 and moved up to the top of Vauxhall Road. A Mallen family lived next door to us and I think  another family of Mallens lived in Howe Street  they were all boys . I remember a lot of the names mentioned on this forum ,Cattullo, Knowles, and my cousins were Jennings . Mom also remembers  the Yeomans in Belmont Row.

gmallen

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2013, 08:25:46 PM »
Phil, I think the house known as the lock keepers cottage is No. 34. It remained in the family until very recently when my dad's uncle Fred finally sold it to the developers. st.evenlucy, my great grandfather and his sons had the businesses there. George, George jnr, Syd, Alf. My father, another George, was still using the yard belong to Fred when he started driving trucks. I visited the strange almost triangular house (we called it the Toblerone House) several times. We still have the deeds to 33 and the original sale documents for 34. I think it had previously belonged to an Evans. Hope I've got that right. Must check with my Father.

page

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2013, 01:20:14 PM »
I lived in Curzon Street from 1942, My G.G,grandparents were bombed out of Belmont Row in about 1942/1943 and moved up to the top of Vauxhall Road. A Mallen family lived next door to us and I think  another family of Mallens lived in Howe Street  they were all boys . I remember a lot of the names mentioned on this forum ,Cattullo, Knowles, and my cousins were Jennings . Mom also remembers  the Yeomans in Belmont Row.
[/quote
Hi Cattullo Knowles and Jennings were all friends of mine, Steve Jennings was my best mate, was the paper yard at the top of Belmont Row just up from the old co op building.

dawnie

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »
does anyone remember the name of the factory that made the road lamps ( we lived next door to it )i can remember playing on the waste land at the bottom of belmont row and our mom would sometimes take us to itchy koo park does any one remember this park or even have a photo of it  ::)

CaroleC

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »
does anyone remember the name of the factory that made the road lamps ( we lived next door to it )i can remember playing on the waste land at the bottom of belmont row and our mom would sometimes take us to itchy koo park does any one remember this park or even have a photo of it  ::)

Does anyone remember the Italian who lived opposite Howe street his name was Tamborra he had a shop I think but cant remember what he sold.

blane

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2013, 05:00:12 PM »
Hello Dawnie  -  The only Itchy Koo Park I can remember was at the bottom of Garrison Lane,still there I believe. :-\ :-\ :-\

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »
Dawnie

There was a lamp manufacturer A W Sanderson just before Pitt St in the 50's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2013, 05:59:07 PM »
Hi CaroleC

Can you tell me a little more about this shop, if it was opposite Howe St was it on Prospect Row and what year are we talking about?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy