Author Topic: Belmont Row Ashted  (Read 37831 times)

CaroleC

Re: Belmont Row Ashted
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »
Hi CaroleC

Can you tell me a little more about this shop, if it was opposite Howe St was it on Prospect Row and what year are we talking about?

it would probably be early 1950s we lived with my great gran in Howe street her surname name was Cross, the shop was on Ashted Row (I think) sorry my memory is not what it was.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2013, 07:04:28 PM »
Sorry CarolC

I can't find anything like "Tamborra" in the Kelly's Trade Directories that I have mind you I have a gap from 1950 to 1962 so perhaps someone with one of the years in between might be able to help.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

st.evenlucy

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »
the Italian shop was owned by  old family friends of my Mom's family. They sold pasta and lots of Italian produce. the name was Tamburro and the sons played  accordions and  played at a lot of our family parties . Happy days !!
 one of the daughters had a beautiful voice and used to sing at some of the weddings at St. Michaels Church. as far as I remember the  shop was at the bottom of Coleshill Street going towards Prospect Row  , almost opposite the old market hall that became Saville Gordon, there was also a toy shop and a hairdressers in the same block.

mikejee

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »
Can't see any shop in the 1955 or 56 Kellys with a similar name (in fact nothing beginning Tam).

CaroleC

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2013, 09:24:17 PM »
the Italian shop was owned by  old family friends of my Mom's family. They sold pasta and lots of Italian produce. the name was Tamburro and the sons played  accordions and  played at a lot of our family parties . Happy days !!
 one of the daughters had a beautiful voice and used to sing at some of the weddings at St. Michaels Church. as far as I remember the  shop was at the bottom of Coleshill Street going towards Prospect Row  , almost opposite the old market hall that became Saville Gordon, there was also a toy shop and a hairdressers in the same block.

Thank you so much, that has made me so happy. I remember the accordion, he taught my dad to play.

planetmalc

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »

Jackie Tamburro, the accordion shop owner, was my uncle (by marriage).
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

st.evenlucy

« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »
if I remember right, the accordion shop was in Ryder Street and the owner was a relation to the Tamburros who had the shop in  Coleshill Street.

Macca

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2014, 07:58:30 PM »
We lived in Penn Street The Lathams, Coniffs, Binions,Woods, we all used to go to the Eagle & Ball pub corner of Gopsall Street. Windsor primary school Bloomsbury  girls and Loxton boys.I remember watching the Civil dfence in Belmont Row. Mrs Humpage was one of my moms friends. There were little factories in Penn Street Armstrongs the Stag Display who made the lights for Blackpool and in 1953 Penn Street was well decorated for the coronation. Does anyone remember the charity show the caretaker of Windsor St( Mr Tarbuck) in memory of a little boy Derek Shields who died of kidney failure. A lot of local kids put on a show at Kyrle  Hall

st.evenlucy

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2014, 12:26:15 PM »
Hi Macca, We lived in Curzon Street , and Mom worked in Penn Street at Browns factory where they made saucepans etc. We held our engagement party in the upstairs room at The eagle and Ball  in the late 1950s. !! Spent many happy days playing on the old peck in Penn Street / Howe Street. I went to Bishop Ryder School in Gem Street , but as you say, most of the kids went to Windsor Street or St Vincents, then on to Loxton , or Bloomsbury Street

Daisy1

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2014, 04:30:36 PM »
Hello,
My grandparents lived in Curzon Street and I lived in Howe Street and went to Bishop Ryder School. I remember walking to school on my own age five, imagine doing that now.  There was a shop in Howe Street run by Charlie and Irene Bush I don't know if you remember them, it was a long time ago.
My grandparent's surname was Millichamp and ours was Forrester.

st.evenlucy

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
Yes I do remember Mrs Millichamp, they lived on the front , and we lived up the yard. we lived at the back of Mrs Beavon and I am still friends with her granddaughter Val. My name is Pam. I think we have spoken and met before. are you Joyces daughter Rita ? I do remember your Nan very Well as does my cousin Vicky who   lived in our Yard.   Your Nan lived next to the entry didn't she ?
       regards Pam

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy