Author Topic: Belmont Row Ashted  (Read 37794 times)

page

Re: Belmont Row Ashted
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
The lamp maker at no 50 Belmont row..YES BEEN TOLD by family member, it fits in, Grandfather lived also at that house number, he sold newspapers and ALSO lamp oil, so they worked hand in hand?..he also handmade ornamental badges in the cellar-kept rabbits in the back garden- I just wish someone would come up with pics of a few houses, shops etc-One house left now in Belmont Road for posterity no doubt that was opposite number 50.When will they decide what to do with the Workhouse building top of the Row, they will wait till its a complete danger then demolish it no doubt...THATS BIRMINGHAM COUNCIL 4 you?
.      Hi I lived a 71 next to the lamp factory opposit the house that is still there ,so number 50 must have been on the same side as the house that is left

planetmalc

« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2015, 02:39:03 PM »
The photo I think would have to be after 1959 because of the Bedford TK lorry which wasn't produced until that year.

Wow, a lorry nerd   -   cool! 8)
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2015, 02:50:28 PM »
PM

Not so much a lorry nerd, but for the first twenty five years our business only purchased, and operated Bedford Lorries, We did this because we thought they were the most reliable and on the odd occasion they did break down they were one of the easiest to work with the added bonus you didn't spend hours in the parts department waiting for replacement parts like you did for most other makes.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
PM

Not so much a lorry nerd, but for the first twenty five years our business only purchased, and operated Bedford Lorries, We did this because we thought they were the most reliable and on the odd occasion they did break down they were one of the easiest to work with the added bonus you didn't spend hours in the parts department waiting for replacement parts like you did for most other makes.

Yeah, I lived out my teenage years living opposite Butler's factory in Grange Road, Small Heath, and remember one of their all-Bedford fleet's drivers telling my dad that "Bedfords were best." O0 

Joewoen

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2015, 04:49:14 PM »
The lamp maker at no 50 Belmont row..YES BEEN TOLD by family member, it fits in, Grandfather lived also at that house number, he sold newspapers and ALSO lamp oil, so they worked hand in hand?..he also handmade ornamental badges in the cellar-kept rabbits in the back garden- I just wish someone would come up with pics of a few houses, shops etc-One house left now in Belmont Road for posterity no doubt that was opposite number 50.When will they decide what to do with the Workhouse building top of the Row, they will wait till its a complete danger then demolish it no doubt...THATS BIRMINGHAM COUNCIL 4 you?

The fire in around 2007 severely damaged some of the facade of the cycle works. But it was standing as an empty shell for a good many years, but I suppose the bank collapse didn't help that situation. Most of the facade is still intact and there is a builder who has plans to create modern offices behind the frontage and just restoring the frontage to its 1800s look. The rest of the area will be utterly unrecognisable (apart from the canal) by the time all the university buildings, including the Conservatoire is built. Wonderful photo Phil.

Joewoen

« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2016, 06:58:40 PM »
Good news in The Post; Belmont Works should be given the go ahead next week.

The front facade will be restored to its original format. The water tower, which had to be demolished due to the fire, will be rebuilt in its original style. Now that is excellent news. It shows a commitment to replicating the past and this will be a worthy entrance to the city.

planetmalc

« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2016, 04:41:46 PM »
Good news in The Post; Belmont Works should be given the go ahead next week.

The front facade will be restored to its original format. The water tower, which had to be demolished due to the fire, will be rebuilt in its original style. Now that is excellent news. It shows a commitment to replicating the past and this will be a worthy entrance to the city.

Who's putting up the money? ???

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2016, 04:53:28 PM »

Who's putting up the money? ???

PM

I would think private developers who seem to have run amok with the rest of the area. I would think they have tried everything to get it demolished but have had to finally agree to reinstall it to it's former glory whilst redeveloping it to fit their own purpose.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Joewoen

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2016, 04:33:50 PM »
Wow, listen to you two, you sound like a couple of cynical old blokes, which of course, you aren't.  ;D

Eastside Locks is a regeneration project. All the worn out old industrial buildings have gone. The only buildings worth keeping have been saved, ie. the two pubs, Belmont Works and of course Curzon entrance, oh and of course, they've kept the canal (and what a state that was in). The area is now home to education, student's residences, university buildings and the new site for the Conservatoire, which will be well worth a visit when completed. Developers have learnt, at long last, that a mix of old and new in an area makes for a much better environment, the Jewellery Quarter is a terrific example of that. Belmont Works will be Grade A office space, so attracting quality companies to this gateway to the city.

As in Brindley Place, the canal will become a feature of the area. It's good to see new life in this long neglected neck of the woods.

Whitty

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2016, 09:47:45 AM »
#95  , Phil this photo of Jubys cafe I think you will find is 1961/62
It was a transport cafe called stans,  some Greeks bought it
And changed the shop front I used it at night time
The owner came in one night his coat opened and I saw
A gun in a shoulder holster scary or what
Fortunately it wasn't long before  Juby bought it
I went out for a short while with a girl that worked there
It was stans Old shop front in 1960
The shop next door Tom Waters I had a suit made April 1960
Cost £21 fantastic suit  never had another like it since
They moved to the  city Hurst St & Bromsgrove st
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Whitty

« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2016, 01:57:55 PM »
A family who lived right by the bridge in Belmont Row
The surnames  Clayton i guess around 1953/54
there children's names all began With B ,
Brian ,Brince etc anyone remember them
I will stand correcting but wasn't there
 a red Telephone box there
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy