Author Topic: Old streets in Birmingham  (Read 19216 times)

stickman

Re: Old streets in Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
Interesting to know that the idea was proposed before.  Such a shame as a "Birmingham Promenade" would possibly make Birmingham unique, it could have been used as a viewing platform.  Oh well, just a thought.

stickman

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »
I still strongly suggest that the idea of "The Birmingham Promenade" be given some thought.  I've just come across a picture of similar idea called I think "The High Line" in New York.  Anyone else seen it?

vauxonion

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
"The Duddeston Viaduct" this is a new one on me there has never been a viaduct at Duddeston  the viaduct before Duddeston is known as Vauxhall Viaduct and is on a different line to the one you are referring to.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 09:05:56 PM »
Dek

The Vauxhall Viaduct was completed in 1839 to service Curzon St Station the Duddeston Viaduct was supposed to link with the lines to New Street but because internal politics and bickering it never came to fruition and was abandoned when New Street became Birminghams main station. The Viaduct terminated in what is now the Council Depot in Montague St
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »
Thanks Phil new information to me.

planetmalc

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
"The Duddeston Viaduct" this is a new one on me there has never been a viaduct at Duddeston  the viaduct before Duddeston is known as Vauxhall Viaduct and is on a different line to the one you are referring to.Dek

Dek, I used the term 'Duddeston Viaduct' 'cos that's what railway enthusiasts call 'the railway that never was' between Bordesley Station and Curzon Street Station.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Top Cat

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »
Dek

The Vauxhall Viaduct was completed in 1839 to service Curzon St Station the Duddeston Viaduct was supposed to link with the lines to New Street but because internal politics and bickering it never came to fruition and was abandoned when New Street became Birminghams main station. The Viaduct terminated in what is now the Council Depot in Montague St
Excellent pictures-thanks!

colin walker

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »
here is a picture of Curzon street when it was in its prime you can see the building in the background.
colin

townie

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 11:37:24 AM »

Came across this photo, one I hadn't seen before in fact I never knew the street existed. Lovely photo though.

Wolseley Street Bordesley. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »

I've got a question does anyone know why a lot of streets, roads as we know them were called row's. Examples Colmore Row, Duddeston Row, Bath Row and so on? Just wondering.

Thanks townie.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

frederick

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 01:04:07 PM »
Could row mean a place to walk from one place to another as in sortcut       :-\
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy