Author Topic: Hope Street School  (Read 81883 times)

ginger

Re: Hope Street School
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 06:42:32 PM »
Hi Folks I remember the the Sun very well and a lot more around the Gooch St area Bata shoe shop.where my mom got my pumps from,Kenches fish and chips,B/ham Restaurant.the smelly urinal above the river Rea and the star of Gooch St the Triangle Ha Ha,joking apart it was a dump.My favorite cinema was the Moseley,only beause you could always get into an X rated film from the age of 14.I'd have a fag in my mouth.We believed it made us look older,and it did after 40 years of smoking Ginger 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 07:11:41 PM »
be for i went to school i lived in hope street just a few doors down from the shop and the welfare center opposite was the coal yard and next to that was a bomb out building i lived in a back to back my first school was hope street and i remember the winter of 1947 and the school being shut the snow was so deep in was up to the top of the rails at the school gate at the bottom of hope street was the stare pub and opposite that was a paper shop and a bomb out building i remember it well
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Andy Capp

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »
Hi Roy
This Is how i remember 1947 thats when i first went to hope street school so that winter broke me in well. andy capp

Andy Capp

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »
Winter 1947

astwood

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 07:58:24 PM »
Andy
My father use to tell me how his churn lorry got
stuck and covered completely in a drift in 1947
i was only 2 at the time i can well believe it
looking at your pictures
astwood >:D

Andy Capp

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 08:16:31 PM »
Hi All
I often think of our dad when i think about the 1947 winter he was a window cleaner for well over 30 years. it would warm up a bit about 11 0clock in the morning & dad take out his ladder & a couple of sacks to try & stop the ladder slipping to earn a few bob to keep us kids fed but i'm sure they were a different breed people in those days they just had to be because of need Thanks Dad you were a gem. Andy Capp

ginger

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 12:25:19 AM »
Hi  Folks. 47 was bad I've see photos of the snow,I was only 3 in 47.but i believe 62/63 was colder.I was a conductor standing on the back of an open back bus.I've never been so cold.Ginger   

frederick

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 10:46:50 AM »
i remember i think it was 1955 going to school and there being 3 inches of pack ice on the pavements  for about 3 months
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

bored_stupid

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »
My first school was Hope St. around 1960. I lived in Wrentham street, opposite the Fountain pub. on the same side as my house towards the Bristol Rd was a Slaughter House. Gooch Street Doctors, my Doctor was Dr Wand.

alanmillard

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 08:11:31 PM »
I liked Mr Bowen, he was a nice guy, sadly, he only had eyes for the guys who where good at sport, he had one favorite a guy who was good at cricket, the rest of us where just there to fill the numbers sort of thing. till, one day he was 3 guys short, so he lowered his standards and got us ( who always watched ), to fill in, well to cut a long story short, we pi**ed all over this guy who was the favorite, we out ran him, out bowled him and out batted him, Bowen was at a loss to understand why we where good,... simple I told him, you only looked at who you thought was the best in the school and because we didn't wear whites, you had no time for us, ( don't forget, we played in the streets and we learned just where to place the ball, ( remember all the windows.. ;D ), ...happy days, J2
we were in the hall doing our PT when a boy in my class pulled a knife on mr bowen because mr bowen was giving this lad a hard time for not trying hard enough so mr bowen called him on then thumped him all over the hall and after that took the boy to mr Underwood who gave him six of the best that would have been about 1951/2 but i tell you he was never short of respect .?alan

alanmillard

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
My first school was Hope St. around 1960. I lived in Wrentham street, opposite the Fountain pub. on the same side as my house towards the Bristol Rd was a Slaughter House. Gooch Street Doctors, my Doctor was Dr Wand.
My doctor was mr mcgreggor the same surgery if you remember they also gave out there own medication

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy