Author Topic: Hope Street School  (Read 81878 times)

alanmillard

Re: Hope Street School
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
Andy
My father use to tell me how his churn lorry got
stuck and covered completely in a drift in 1947
i was only 2 at the time i can well believe it
looking at your pictures
astwood >:D
hi iwas 7 and lived in barford street and if i stood on top of the pile of snow i would have been standing at least 6/7 foot high yet no one moaned they just got on with it not like today

denise

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 08:59:04 PM »
My mum talks of the winter of 47.She said they had to take down the doors and shelves to keep the fire going.

She had to take an old pram to the canal side in Acocks Green to get slack.

Happy days ?? :o

john2000

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »
we were in the hall doing our PT when a boy in my class pulled a knife on mr bowen because mr bowen was giving this lad a hard time for not trying hard enough so mr bowen called him on then thumped him all over the hall and after that took the boy to mr Underwood who gave him six of the best that would have been about 1951/2 but i tell you he was never short of respect .?alan

I think the guy who pulled the knife out was called Bobby Masion, he lived in Lincon St top end of Cox St west,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »
My doctor was mr mcgreggor the same surgery if you remember they also gave out there own medication

He was mine too, there place was on the corner of William Edward St and Conybere St, ( a white building), I used to think he came all the way from Sctotland just to see me, ha,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »
Dr McGregor was always our family doctor as well, I think my grandmother must have known him in Scotland. She always called him John and he called her Annie. This photo taken on the occasion of his retirement which I think was in the late 60's was sent to me by a kind lady called Wendy on another forum.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »
Phil, lovely old photo, i bet J2 knows all those girls  :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

janey

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
cappdn. Hi"I wonder if you ever stood on the stage in the main hall, and look up at the balcony that ran all around the walls, and thought "it does, it look just like a prision with the cast iron railings, we used to drop the milkbottles down the stair well and (try) to catch them at the bottom, I remember a guy called  "Pane" he had to carry a crete of empty milkbottles down the stairs, half way down he fell, from one floor to the next  all the bottles smashed, when we got to him he was covered with glass, as we ran up the stairs to help him. I had in my minds eye, a sight of blood snot and tears, and he sat there, on the floor, there was not a mark on him, after that they made us carry the creates with two people,
and remember at home time the mad dash down the stairs to get out first, then block the main doors to the play ground Jowith that big floor mat they had in front of the doors. the kids would come jumping down the stairs, and we had blocked the doors, I got the stick the next morning from the head master....John 2000
   I remember on occasions we sat on the balcony for special assembly's, the hall would be full,but I remember sometimes the girl next to you would slip her feet out of her shoes, so they were just resting in between the bars and yes you guessed
they would end up being kicked over but nobody ever knew who the culprit was,fun days

alanmillard

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 11:45:31 PM »
Andy, the world is getting smaller, I know Hope St school very well, but I was there between 1951-55,  in my time we had Mr Underwood, ( headmaster) then your Mr Jones, he had a very low singing voice, and every morning we used to     try and beat him by trying to sing lower than him,, the woodworking teacher Mr Evens, he was deaf as a post, ( till you said something out of line then he heard you , then he would let you know he had heard you, and then you knew what pain was. but he was a nice guy, there was also a Mr Barnard who was also a woodworking teacher, ( did'nt  get on with him) , then there was a Ms Louse, who was ill and she had lost all here hair, but we where just kids and did'nt understand  and we said some nasty things to her, remember the sweetshop across the road. ha, there where more kids in that sweetshop than was in school, at lunch time.
I even cut my name into the brick wall, but as you know its all gone. 8)
the lady teacher you are referring to was ms Lewiss i was in her class with a Mr holdam science teacher 1952 or there about

geraldnewman

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 02:57:39 PM »
I was a young 20 year old teacher from Wales when I started in Hope Street School in 1961. The head was Mr. Drayton and the deputy was Gordon Green. I often think of the pupils and staff and the good and bad times I had there. I left after 2 years to go to another school in the city and regretted it. Times were not easy at Hope St. but it was a good school with good kids and great staff.

janey

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »
Hello Gerald Newman, I was at Hope St from 62/65,  I remember Mr Green and Mr Drayton, who left shortly after I started there, what did you teach I cannot recall your name, Mr Wilson was my class teacher, Miss Scandrett domestic science, Miss Houghton music.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 03:38:16 PM »
Hi Gerald,

Welcome to the forum, what school did you move to from Hope St as we may have other members on here that would possibly remember you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy