Author Topic: Hope Street School  (Read 81876 times)

geraldnewman

Re: Hope Street School
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »
I taught maths, science and technical drawing. I remember Mr. Wilson and the others very well. I have been trying to remember the name of the senior maths teacher, Bill ........., but cannot think of his surname. Other teachers I remember are Miss Pitt, Mr. Shaw, Mr. Grigg, Mr.Evans,woodwork, Mr.Morris, Miss Brazier and Mrs. Woods, Mr.Carter.

alanmillard

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »
Andy, the world is getting smaller, I know Hope St school very well, but I was there between 1951-55,  in my time we had Mr Underwood, ( headmaster) then your Mr Jones, he had a very low singing voice, and every morning we used to     try and beat him by trying to sing lower than him,, the woodworking teacher Mr Evens, he was deaf as a post, ( till you said something out of line then he heard you , then he would let you know he had heard you, and then you knew what pain was. but he was a nice guy, there was also a Mr Barnard who was also a woodworking teacher, ( did'nt  get on with him) , then there was a Ms Louse, who was ill and she had lost all here hair, but we where just kids and did'nt understand  and we said some nasty things to her, remember the sweetshop across the road. ha, there where more kids in that sweetshop than was in school, at lunch time.
I even cut my name into the brick wall, but as you know its all gone. 8)
it was not mrs louse but mrs Lewis she was my teacher from 1950/52 alan

alanmillard

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »
Hi Folks I remember the the Sun very well and a lot more around the Gooch St area Bata shoe shop.where my mom got my pumps from,Kenches fish and chips,B/ham Restaurant.the smelly urinal above the river Rea and the star of Gooch St the Triangle Ha Ha,joking apart it was a dump.My favorite cinema was the Moseley,only beause you could always get into an X rated film from the age of 14.I'd have a fag in my mouth.We believed it made us look older,and it did after 40 years of smoking Ginger
sorry ginger  but the Moseley realy was a dump in it was on par with the triangle, the best Cinema was the alambra now that was a nice place. alan

janey

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 09:15:36 PM »
I taught maths, science and technical drawing. I remember Mr. Wilson and the others very well. I have been trying to remember the name of the senior maths teacher, Bill ........., but cannot think of his surname. Other teachers I remember are Miss Pitt, Mr. Shaw, Mr. Grigg, Mr.Evans,woodwork, Mr.Morris, Miss Brazier and Mrs. Woods, Mr.Carter.
Hi, i think it was Mr Hill you are thinking of, Mr Carter was one of my my favourite teachers, I remember most of those you mention, maths was without doubt my worse subject, that is probably why I don't recall you coupled with the fact you weren't there for very long, Mr Green eventually became headteacher, he was another of my favourites.

alanmillard

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »
Hi, i think it was Mr Hill you are thinking of, Mr Carter was one of my my favourite teachers, I remember most of those you mention, maths was without doubt my worse subject, that is probably why I don't recall you coupled with the fact you weren't there for very long, Mr Green eventually became headteacher, he was another of my favourites.
mr Green certainly new how to use the bloody cane i know i felt it. alan

janey

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »
mr Green certainly new how to use the bloody cane i know i felt it. alan
Thankfully I never had the cane, I think it was usually boys who got it,

john2000

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
There was a young teacher who lived with a family in Court Rd ( just on the bend) I did'nt know him well, he was always in other classes, but I still think Mr Bowen the PT teacher was a great guy, J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2011, 10:22:12 PM »
sorry ginger  but the Moseley realy was a dump in it was on par with the triangle, the best Cinema was the alambra now that was a nice place. alan

Ginger, just a question, was your dad in the building,? and what road did you live in,? J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

buster

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »
Idid go to hope street went to marys street. But I think the Alambra was the best cinema we mostly went to the luxor because we lived in Longbridge Road we left in 1954.I remember the birmingham Restaurant because my Aunt would take me on a Saturday while we were doing shopping, we mostly had [censored] and peas.

RICHARD5050

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 12:08:40 AM »
I USED TO GET IN TROUBLE WITH MR WILSON WHEN WE WERE DOING TECH DRAWING COS WE HAD THE FIRS LESSON OF THE DAY WITH HIM AND MY HANDS WERE ALWAYS DIRTY FROM DOING MY PAPER ROUND NEVER HEARD OF SOAP DID,NT MR WILSON HAVE A THING FOR MISS PIT OR WAS JUST WISH FULL THINKING  ;)

alanmillard

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 08:57:56 PM »
I USED TO GET IN TROUBLE WITH MR WILSON WHEN WE WERE DOING TECH DRAWING COS WE HAD THE FIRS LESSON OF THE DAY WITH HIM AND MY HANDS WERE ALWAYS DIRTY FROM DOING MY PAPER ROUND NEVER HEARD OF SOAP DID,NT MR WILSON HAVE A THING FOR MISS PIT OR WAS JUST WISH FULL THINKING  ;) sorry mate what year are you talking.
alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy