Author Topic: Hope Street School  (Read 81884 times)

Andy Capp

Hope Street School
« on: February 23, 2006, 11:56:05 PM »
Did anyone out there attend Hope Street School in the late 1940s & early 1950s.I was there from1947 until 1951 .I remember Teachers Mr Jones Mr Gibbons & Mr Evans the woodworking teacher. Andy Capp

john2000

Re: Hope Street School
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 07:58:32 AM »
Andy, the world is getting smaller, I know Hope St school very well, but I was there between 1951-55,  in my time we had Mr Underwood, ( headmaster) then your Mr Jones, he had a very low singing voice, and every morning we used to     try and beat him by trying to sing lower than him,, the woodworking teacher Mr Evens, he was deaf as a post, ( till you said something out of line then he heard you , then he would let you know he had heard you, and then you knew what pain was. but he was a nice guy, there was also a Mr Barnard who was also a woodworking teacher, ( did'nt  get on with him) , then there was a Ms Louse, who was ill and she had lost all here hair, but we where just kids and did'nt understand  and we said some nasty things to her, remember the sweetshop across the road. ha, there where more kids in that sweetshop than was in school, at lunch time.
I even cut my name into the brick wall, but as you know its all gone. 8)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Lizzy

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 12:12:52 AM »
Hi Andy Cap & John
                              My brother-in-law went to Hope St
school he would have left in or around 1954.He tells me he will always remember the daily mail boots he reckoned he could slide from Hick St. to Hope St in them you may know him his name is Brian Kimberley he is still a bit of a character comes over to ozz every few years.
Have a great day  Lizzy

cappdn

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 09:06:05 AM »
I went to Hope street from 1954 to 1957. I remember Mr Griffiths, Mr Heath, Ms Clissold. Abe Afford. I remember I was always getting the stick, mostly for my cheek. I used to shout ouch and then burst out laughing, that realy riled them up. I was not a nice boy according to the headmaster. I used to get on well with Mr Griffiths and Mr Bowen " The PT instructer".
Can any one remember the old church hall in Hope Street were we used to do PT, also going up tp the Pebble Mill Sports ground on the bus.
People do not believe me when I tell them that our playground was tarmac.
My Grandfather also went to Hope Street in the 1890s and my great grandfather has a monumental masons business in Hope Street, but I am not sure of the exact location.

Regards
Dennis

john2000

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:20:51 AM »
cappdn. Hi"I wonder if you ever stood on the stage in the main hall, and look up at the balcony that ran all around the walls, and thought "it does, it look just like a prision with the cast iron railings, we used to drop the milkbottles down the stair well and (try) to catch them at the bottom, I remember a guy called  "Pane" he had to carry a crete of empty milkbottles down the stairs, half way down he fell, from one floor to the next  all the bottles smashed, when we got to him he was covered with glass, as we ran up the stairs to help him. I had in my minds eye, a sight of blood snot and tears, and he sat there, on the floor, there was not a mark on him, after that they made us carry the creates with two people,
and remember at home time the mad dash down the stairs to get out first, then block the main doors to the play ground Jowith that big floor mat they had in front of the doors. the kids would come jumping down the stairs, and we had blocked the doors, I got the stick the next morning from the head master....John 2000

Andy Capp

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 11:16:46 AM »
John2000
I dont class myself as a rebel. But even so i was caned & had six of the best on several occasions. I shall be 70 this year & the cane has done me no harm at all. In fact it taught me respect for other people & a good foundation for life. The lack of disipline today & respect makes me depair for the future its all these do gooders. Andy Capp

john2000

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 12:30:44 PM »
Andy, so very true, but I think one day the dogs will turn on their masters and then somthing will be done about it, I say bring back the cat o ninetails, it wirked years ago and it will work now, ....John 2000

ginger

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 09:28:01 PM »
Hi I attended Hope St from 55 til 59 The church hall at the bottom of Hope St was Daniel Memorial Hall,manys the time I had the slipper off Mr.Bowen for playing up

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 09:38:58 PM »
Hi Ginger

Welcome to the forum, you should have plenty to discuss on here as we have a few members from your neck of the woods. You may even know some of them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 09:45:42 PM »
I liked Mr Bowen, he was a nice guy, sadly, he only had eyes for the guys who where good at sport, he had one favorite a guy who was good at cricket, the rest of us where just there to fill the numbers sort of thing. till, one day he was 3 guys short, so he lowered his standards and got us ( who always watched ), to fill in, well to cut a long story short, we pi**ed all over this guy who was the favorite, we out ran him, out bowled him and out batted him, Bowen was at a loss to understand why we where good,... simple I told him, you only looked at who you thought was the best in the school and because we didn't wear whites, you had no time for us, ( don't forget, we played in the streets and we learned just where to place the ball, ( remember all the windows.. ;D ), ...happy days, J2

john2000

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 09:49:36 PM »
Hi I attended Hope St from 55 til 59 The church hall at the bottom of Hope St was Daniel Memorial Hall,manys the time I had the slipper off Mr.Bowen for playing up

Ginger. remember the Star pub, on the corner by the hall,? well I used go out with the daughter from there..she went and married some one else, but we kept in contact for years, 40 odd ....sadly she died last year...J2

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy