Author Topic: Hello - I'm a newbie to the forum!  (Read 17856 times)

Trinity

Hello - I'm a newbie to the forum!
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »
Hello Everyone

I'm a new girl to the forum. I only discovered it a couple of days ago and whenever I have had a spare minute since I've been reading through all the posts that have brought back great memories for me!

I was born in Lawden Road, Small Heath, was baptised at the beautiful Holy Trinity Church Camp Hill in 1955 and went to Holy Trinity Primary School in Trinity Terrace.

Just reading the posts has made me recall so many things that I thought I'd forgotten - names and places etc. I'm looking forward to discovering lots more info and might even be brave enough to tell a few more stories about my life in 'old' Birmingham!  :)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Hello - I'm a newbie to the forum!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »
Hi Trinity

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you have found the forum interesting. Lets hope we can hold your attention.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Trinity

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »
Hi Phil

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I don't think there's any chance that the forum wont hold my attention - I've loved thinking back about the area where I lived for the first 20 years of my life! Funny how little things or a photo trigger memories that have been tucked away somewhere for so long!

I've just added another post about the shops in the Sandy Lane/Camp Hill area. I'd love to see some photos if anyone has any.  :)

Gee Gee

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 05:26:44 PM »
Hello Trinity,
                     at long last someone from my neck of the woods.Your recollections of Sandy Lane-Camp Hill,re-kindled so many memories from my chilhood-youth.
I can recall all the shops that you mention and would like to add the following;next to the Ship Inn on Camp Hill,you had the Tobacconist and the Butcher shop before the Post Office.Over the road You had the second hand furniture store.Opposite the Bull Inn,you had the Barber shop and on the corner of Bradford Street,you had the radio repair shop.
The bookies on Sandy was called Butlers,they did not live at the premises,they lived on Ravenhurst Street.The owner of the cafe on the corner of Sampson Road North was called Jones.
Returning back up Sandy Lane towards the Ship Inn,you had the Butcher shop and then the pawn shop.I could not go into one without first going in the other.
As a young boy I would often go into jones's cafe and get a penny piece of bread and dripping,you could have the same on toast for 2d.Pork dripping,our very own antibiotic and when you enfolded the piece of bread in your grubby little fingers you created your very own penicillin.Wonderful days,more to follow, O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 06:16:16 PM »
My personal memories of Sandy Lane are few, although I do have memories of visiting someone there when I was very young I think they were family friends. They lived behind The Ship in houses that were set back from the street quite a bit as if there had been houses in front of them at one time. They were later demolished and a factory built in their place (see photo).
I think the builder supply near the bridge was called Builder Supply Co. I have another memory of pushing a hand cart from Larches Street to Adderley St for a bag of coke on a Saturday and stopping at the café on the corner of Sampson Rd North for a couple of tomato dips and a mug of tea.

My final memory of Sandy Lane is really of Lawden Rd where my mate Alf had his builders yard in one of the railway arches after the council moved him out of his yard in Marshall St Sparkbrook.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gee Gee

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »
In the winter of 1963 and prior to me going out to Cyprus for my second tour,I was home on leave for a couple of days with my young wife,money was scarce and I could not afford to be to carefree with the little that we had.I walked into the bookies on Sandy Lane and placed a bet on two horses.A two shilling each way double.
(I can still recall the names) the first won at odds of 100 to 8,the second came home at 20-1.
I collected over £60 for my 4 shillings. a fortune in those days.six weeks wages.The bookie could not pay me from the shop.He took me to his house in Ravenhurst Street. Hence the inside information. O0

Trinity

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:38:13 AM »
Hi Gee Gee & Phil

It's great to hear from someone else who remembers the area so well. I actually lived in Lawden Road, Phil. In the maisonettes right opposite the goods yard that lead up to the canal. It was very scenic!!! The railway bridge right in front of your front room window and the railway line at the back too! I remember in the railway arches there was a timber merchants and I loved to pass the doors as the smell of creosote was like heaven (I was a funny kid!) My Mom and Dad moved into Lawden Road just after the war when the maisonettes were newly built. After living in my Nan's front room in Witton with 2 young kids it was like a dream for my Mom. Both me and brother were born at home in Lawden Road. 

Gee Gee, My Dad loved a flutter on the horses and I remember that he used to write his bet out on a bit of old paper and everyone used to have what I think he called a 'Nomme de Plume' in those days to identify your bets and his used to be 'Raven'. I remember once he did have a bit of a win on the horses and my Mom took me and my older sister up town to C&A and bought us identical jackets (just a different colour).

Lots more memories to share. I'd love to hear your stories.  Trinity  :)   

Trinity

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:55:11 AM »
Love the photos Phil - thanks for posting those. The one looking down Sandy Lane with the modern factory on the left hand side really brought back memories. The firm in that factory was called Knight's Optical (later took over by Dolland & Aitchison) they did all optical glazing and making up the glasses for the opticians. My older sister worked there in the mid 1960s and met her future husband there. Can't wait to show her that photo!

I've seen some photos on the site of Trinity Terrace and Holy Trinity church but haven't seen any of Holy Trinity Primary school - if you ever come across any I'd love to see them.

Thanks Phil - Trinity

frederick

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »
Trinity,
Welcome to the forum, my parents were form the Sandy lane area i don't know exactly were, their name was Sheldon, ford and day and my mother was married at the church on the Stratford rd.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Gee Gee

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »
Hi Trinity,
               I understand exactly when you say" the veiw from the maisonettes was very scenic."
Certainly through the eyes of a gallivanting rogue.Playing truancy from school was my forte 'as a child infact it continued well into my youth. A place that I often visited to while away the hours was the stretch of canal by the goods yard and the bonded warehouse.There was a very large air raid shelter.so large that it formed a grassy knoll on the landscape.The perfect refuge,I woud lay on it's grassy banks in the calm peaceful traquility and would take  in all that was around me .The passing colourful boats,the friendly bargees and their children who would always give a freindly wave.How I envied those children their way of life,but more importantly,they never appeared to go to school.The speed of the trains as they would thunder by en route to the city.
Happy days more to follow. O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »
Hi Trinity

a couple more scenes you should recognise, Miles St and the junction of Sandy Lane & Coventry Rd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy