Author Topic: Hello - I'm a newbie to the forum!  (Read 17854 times)

Trinity

Re: Hello - I'm a newbie to the forum!
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »
Hello again Gee Gee

I'd only go to the Co op with my Mom - we used to go there quite a bit if I remember right and we may have even gone into the butchers too.

I bet it was a site for sore eyes to see you with that goose over your shoulder! I remember once my Dad brought home a chicken or a turkey that had to be plucked, my poor Mom nearly fainted and he had to do it (he was used to it because he used to be a farm labourer in Cheshire before the war).  He was used to eating some strange stuff - pigs trotters, pigs head, tripe and chitterlings!

Trinity  :)

Gee Gee

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 06:49:17 PM »
Pigs trotters,pigs heads,tripe un onions and chitterlings. I can taste them now,our staple diet. ;D
You give mention to your friend Valarie and the Bull Inn on Camp Hill.I used to be a member of the social club there.Only sixteen and not old enough to drink,we used to pay two shillings a week into a club kitty throughout the football season and then the members would go off on a big boozy weekend.I always gave my subs to my friends Dad Tommy Billingham and he would pay it in for me The summer of 1956 we all went off on a weekend charabanc trip to Southsea.My first steps into adult-hood.Could it have been possible that your Dad may have been there?
What age's would your brothers-sisters be.?

Trinity

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »
Hi Gee Gee

My Dad was never one for going to the pub, the most he ever did was have a bottle of stout from the outdoor. My friend Valerie lived in Bradford Street and her Mom who worked at the Bull was I think called Bertha or Brenda (or something like that). 

My eldest brother John was born in 1943 so he was a little too young to be going down the pub in 1956. But in later years he used to go to the Lodge on the corner of Bolton Road/Coventry Road and the Horse & Jockey on the corner of Miles Street. My sister was born in 1946 (a Locarno girl!) and my other brother in 1951 - I'm the baby, born in 1955! :)

My eldest brother would have loved this forum, his memory was fantastic and he could always be relied upon to remember names and places and he knew most things about the family history. Sadly he passed away about 10 years ago and with my Mom and Dad gone too, the rest of us are blinking hopeless! You don't realise until it's too late that you haven't asked nearly enough questions about the past or listened well enough to remember things that you have been told!  :(

Trinity

Gee Gee

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 09:38:17 PM »
Thank you for that Trinity.It is strange,we had a brother John who was born 1943,unfortunately he passed away in 1994.We were a very large family (12) children and my remaining brothers and sisters all live in and around Brum.I have a sister who lives at Swanshurst,not far from your old School.and another who lives just up the road at Yardley Wood.
I now live at Hereford,but love to return to Brum as often as I can,
I always return for a nostalgic look down the old end,but as you know things ain't the same.
Anytime that you may feel that you would like a little chat  over old times,you just keep posting and I will respond----Take care O0 O0 O0

Trinity

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »
Thanks Gee Gee, it's been lovely talking to you. Take care.

Trinity

Ravenshurst

Camp hill
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »
I went to holly trinity school started there in 1960 aged 5 I remember my first day going down the steps through the doors into a hall and at the back of the hall was nursery. I didn't want to stay there it seemed so big. I lived in ravenhurst street in the back to back houses. A man in the winter used to come and turn the gas lamp on. The toilets and boiler wash rooms were at the top of the entry. Spent many a day turning the big green mangle for my mom who was putting the sheets through and then she hung them on the line. We had a tin bath in front of the fire we had a bath once a week in the living room we were in a two up two down. The cellar was a scary place when we had to get the coal. So many memories good ones and not so good but never so bad always had the community. More than what we have now.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
Hi Ravenhurst,

Welcome to our forum, if you lived in Ravenhurst Street in the 60's then you would recognise these photos, you would also remember W Grooms yard at the back of the Moseley Arms. Most of the men in my family worked there at one time or other until they branched out on their own.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Trinity

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 05:40:57 PM »
Hello Ravenhurst
I started at Holy Trinity school in 1961 in Mrs Bowman's Kindergarten class when I was 5.  So you would have been in the year above me. I loved that school and have told my children all about it over the years.  We lived in the maisonettes in Lawden Road (off Sandy Lane) so were lucky enough to have a few mod cons 😉.
Would love to hear any memories you have about our school and the area in general.

Trinity

Ravenshurst

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
Thank you for the pictures yes I remember the school can't remember the headmistress name though. I enjoyed my time there but always remember could not look through the widows to high. There was a bathroom where we were allowed a bath. The high walls surrounded the play ground and the boys toilets where you could run in and ot the othe side we played cricket against that wall. My friend Gail got hit in the face as she ran round one day. Flat as a pancake her nose whent. The shops you show my mom worked at the green grocers I used to sit on the banana boxes outside waiting for her to finish and go home together.

Mirkwood

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 10:32:06 PM »
I was at Camp Hill School from 1953 to 1956 when the school moved out to King's Heath. For the first couple of years my friend and I went to school from Sheldon on the 58 bus, walking up Sandy Lane from the Coventry Road. After school we would often call into the shop run by the sisters you mention to buy some sweets and in those days you usually asked for a quarter of a pound of............, when they would be weighed up on the scales. The lady we knew as "Fi" (presumably Phoebe!) would sell us sweets in two ounces (half a quarter pound!!) and our favourite choices were either American Hard Gums or Rainbow Drops! Clearly remember having my school cap pinched by a kid when walking down the hill one day and being taunted as a "Grammar grub!!" Apart from that one incident - happy days!!

Snooks

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2015, 04:43:27 PM »
I've just discovered this site and find it fascinating. I was born in Brum (Lordswood Maternity Hospital) lived in Melville Road, Edgbaston and went to George Dixon primary School and Bartley Green Grammar School for Girls before going on to college and then Drama School known as Chappies in Church Road ( Birmingham School of Speech Training and Dramatic Art.) I LOVED my life in Brum and still have many friends there. I returned last weekend to attend a show at Thimblemill Library and met up with old friends - it was great. I now live in Devon. I am returning in August and cannot believe how much has changed but keep up with the changes as I visit around 3 - 4 times a year. This forum and the memories it brings back is terrific! Does anyone remember the Ritz at Kings Heath? Oh happy days!
Onwards and upwards!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy