Author Topic: Sandy Lane/Camp Hill Shops  (Read 4289 times)

Trinity

Sandy Lane/Camp Hill Shops
« on: June 23, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »
Hi
Does anyone remember the shops on Sandy Lane & Camp Hill? I lived in the area from 1955- 1975.

There was a newsagents on Sandy Lane that was run by two or three elderly sisters but I can't remember the name. Next door was a little grocers which I think might have been called 'Florrie's' or something like that and then it changed hands and was owned by a lady called Lily (Dohenny?) my Mom worked there for a while. I can remember the time Mom dropped a heavy jar on her foot and must have broke a bone or something but she worked on and never had any treatment as she couldn't afford to have time off and lose her wages. She had trouble with that foot for the rest of her life! 
Just a few doors up from the grocers was a shop called 'Peters' where we used to buy Big K ice cream lollies on a stick (can't think what else they sold - I can only remember the ice cream!) Think the shop on the corner of Trinity Terrace and Bedford Road was called Fred's.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has any memories of the shops in the area.  :)

Trinity

Re: Sandy Lane/Camp Hill Shops
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »
Perhaps someone will remember Camp Hill shops too. I recall there being a hairdressers, Ives Chemist, the Fish & Chip shop and the post office on one side of Camp Hill and on the opposite side of the road there was a newsagents.

My friend Valerie's Mom used to work as a barmaid at the pub by Holy Trinity church, I think it was called The Bull or The Old Bull and during the school holidays we used to go up the passage way at the side to a hatch in the wall and she'd give us a glass of lemonade and a bag of crisps.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »
hiTrinity
i spent some time in bedford street and i used to go in the cafe on the corner of samson road  just across from bedford street roy 1963 64
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Trinity

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
Hi Roy

I remember the cafe on the corner of Sampson Road too.  In 1963 I would have been 8 yrs old.

I just remembered there used to be a bookies next door to the cafe (my Dad used to love a flutter on the gee gees.)

Trinity

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:02:08 PM »
im sure there was a paper shop just down from the cafe i did spend a lot of the time down the cut and a food shop sorry to say the mind is not has good as it used to be i think it was about 62 or 63 i would spend time in farm road park doing what lads do  O0 O0 O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Trinity

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:07:06 PM »
Hi Roy

yes there was a paper shop just a few doors down from the cafe (back towards Trinity Terrace). I can remember it was run by some spinster sisters who  scared the heck out of me if I had to go in, they were like headmistresses!

I think there was a builders merchants too just by the crossing near Bedford Road. (Its funny how things suddenly come back to you isn't it!)

:)

carol Rawlinson

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 01:34:43 AM »
Hi, ime new to this site but ime a member on the Birmingham history forum page on facebook. I am searching for anybody that remembered the family Thomas or demaine that lived in sandy lane in camp hill from late 1950's to late 1960's as my mother dilys Rawlinson 'nee'  thomas is looking for her best friend. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
Hi Carol

Welcome to the forum, one of our posters mat be able to help you with your enquiry, but I feel I must point out that this forum has no connection with the Birmingham History Facebook page.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jcm

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »

Hi Guys I was born in a Sandy Lane shop 1949. All I know it was a grocery shop with a cellar either attached to or close to railway bridge. possibly corner shop. My parents had it from 1948 to 1952 when we came to  Wales. The surname was Coles both parents were Welsh. Love to hear any info or see photos.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 11:25:20 PM »
Hi jmc,

Walter T Coles Greengrocer 69 Sandy Lane on the junction of Trinity Terrace. Sorry not having any luck with a photo of the shop, but I'm looking.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Carol Ann Coleclough nee

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »
Hi
I was born in Sandy Lane in 1946
98 used to be a butchers before then the paper shop was owned by four sisters Ann,Lilly Martha and Nelly the grocery shop was owned bye Debbie can’t remember her sisters name the little cafe was Run bye Mrs Peters
There was a shop that’s sold pots. Pans buckets etc a miss rubottom owned it  does this help any one

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy