Author Topic: Sandy Lane/Camp Hill Shops  (Read 4295 times)

tkl

Re: Sandy Lane/Camp Hill Shops
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 12:18:16 PM »
Hi, I was born at number 10 Sandy Lane (the masonetts opposite the grit yard) in 1950 and lived their until 1970.

Gilly whitehouse

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 09:53:49 PM »
Hi.....does anyone remember the married couple Anne and Eddie who run the convenient store on sandy lane camp hill around 1968 -1970 I think there was a cafe on the corner and a railway bridge near by.

TW1965

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 09:48:18 PM »
Hi
Does anyone remember the shops on Sandy Lane & Camp Hill? I lived in the area from 1955- 1975.

There was a newsagents on Sandy Lane that was run by two or three elderly sisters but I can't remember the name. Next door was a little grocers which I think might have been called 'Florrie's' or something like that and then it changed hands and was owned by a lady called Lily (Dohenny?) my Mom worked there for a while. I can remember the time Mom dropped a heavy jar on her foot and must have broke a bone or something but she worked on and never had any treatment as she couldn't afford to have time off and lose her wages. She had trouble with that foot for the rest of her life! 
Just a few doors up from the grocers was a shop called 'Peters' where we used to buy Big K ice cream lollies on a stick (can't think what else they sold - I can only remember the ice cream!) Think the shop on the corner of Trinity Terrace and Bedford Road was called Fred's.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has any memories of the shops in the area.  :)

Hi
I realise it's been a long time since you posted this but when I read it a name popped out... Lilly Doheny was my aunt... maiden name Williams. I was born in Sandy Lane in 1965 I don't know the number but I do know that the house was right next to the old railway bridge. My dad Ernie and his older brother Frank used to work for W Grooms I believe they lived on the Moseley Rd.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy