Author Topic: Has anyone got ant photos of the old COOP on high street Birmingham  (Read 3306 times)

pauledwards

Hello

I was talking to my children about the old Coop on the High Street Birmingham. I decided to try and find some photos on the web but I have had no luck!
Has anyone got any photos please? :)

Paul

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Has anyone got ant photos of the old COOP on high street Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
Paul

A good book to purchase or borrow from the library would be The Co-op in Birmingham by Linda and Anthony Chew ISBN 0-7524-3098-X.  in the meantime here are a few photos.
Make Love Not War

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »
Paul here are a few more of the interior.
Make Love Not War

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
the last couple and one more of the outside.
Make Love Not War

Spud

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:08:27 PM »
The Co-Op in the High St . That conjures up a few memories.Queing up to collect my Mothers Divi even remember the number, 10858.Stanley Matthews the Blackpool Wizard of Dribble he would visit the Co-Op on Saturday mornings prior to playing at St Andrews or Villa Park to promote his football boots .Got his autograph on one Saturday Morning.
Think that I am right that the shop moved to the opposite side of the High St and I seem to remember that there was an underground passage joining the shops.Bought one of my first LPs from the record Dept.
 :-[
The Best Is Yet To Come

Gee Gee

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »
Strange how certain things are retained in your memory,It took me ages before I could reel off my Army number.
But,I too remember my mothers Co-Op number 135581. O0

Frankf

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:59:57 PM »
Yes Spud, there was an underground passageway to the Big Top site on the other side of High St. The store was on both sides of the street for a long time before closure.
The passageway led to the basement area of the other site, which sold domestic electricals, gardening gear and I forget what else. You could access the passageway from an entrance off the ringway at the back of marks and spencers.

I remember the record dept so very well - this was on the ground floor at the back.

Frank

Monty

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:15:21 PM »
I started a Sat job there about 1971/72 in the stationery dept!  When I went to college I used to come back every holiday and work.  Remember many a summer sorting out the Christmas cards!!  Years later in the 80s  I returned there as a Dept Manager in the bed linen dept, only left when the building was going to be demolished.  Great place to work and have very fond memories of there.

Britz

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 08:31:58 AM »
I started work at the this COOP in 1981 as a Store Detective. Best time of my life working there, even for only a few years before it finally got demolished. Remember the day when all the staff were called to a meeting to say the store will be closing down, and the shock. Brilliant atmosphere and a great place to work. The Store Detectives were Keren, Lynn, Doreen, and myself Peter.

JudithM

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 01:28:42 PM »
I am still so cross that they knocked this down  >:(
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"