Author Topic: kingshurst estate  (Read 7066 times)

nickcc

Re: kingshurst estate
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
Ive mentioned before kingshurst estate, we moved there in 1959 from nechells and at the time the estate was still being erected and was a big playground for us kids instead of backyards and streets we had green fields to play in with new mates! and i enjoyed the rest of my childhood there.
I have been back a few times to look around but yesterday i went to the library and looked at the history of the estate and was saddened by the steady decline of it , and it becoming a dumping ground for problem families and the type of houses that were built became a problem to. yesterday when i went for a stroll i was amazed by the amount of houses and flats that were boarded up ready for development or possible demolition the houses that i as a child had watched being built! i felt sorry for the residents that had possibly lived there since they were new and looked after their properties to see the area deteriate so much in what is a relatively short time.
I suppose when our families moved there we came from deprived areas and appreciated our new surroundings and houses but i suppose residents use kingshurst as a stopping off point for somthing better nowadays.
phil
Hello Phil  Where about on Kingshurst did you live, my Wife's Family used to live in Laburnam but had all left in the eighties.
Nick

Helston Cornwall

phil48

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
hi nick
our family used to live on fordbridge road the cooks lane end we had all gone by 1971/72
phil

mikanmart

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »

Sorry Speedy , I disagree .
 The Council morons who The People voted in know exactly what they are doing .
 It is called "Drag everyone to the same level" , also known as communism , liberalism , leftism , and in my very well travelled experience it happens all over the world and is getting worse . Even the good ole' USofA is suffering from it . Problem families--or should we use the proper title of lazy gits -----are deliberately placed not to improve them , but to show the ordinary honest person where their money should be spent , and the honest people pay the taxes happy to see the back of the unwashed .
 I remember the estates , Kingshurst and Castle Vale being built on the fields we used to play on , and on the route we took on our bikes to get to Elmdon to watch the planes . We had to stop using that route when one of my mates got attacked on his bike and his bike pinched , and that was in broad daylight . We also had a lot of problems when drunks missed the last bus out of the city centre and spread pee and other stuff along the roads leading to the estates .
 It sounds as though it hasn't changed much .
 By the way , this is not a political rant , it's just an indication of how you end up as you get older and start to realise the truth .

Mike

nickcc

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
hi nick
our family used to live on fordbridge road the cooks lane end we had all gone by 1971/72
phil
Hello Phil
My Wife's parents moved to kingshurst in 1954 so probably saw the good times as well as the bad.  I remember when they were building Chelmsely (used to take the builders to work when I briefly worked for my Brother in Law) people were over the moon to move there, how times and areas change and not usually for the better.
Nick

Helston Cornwall

speedy

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »

Sorry Speedy , I disagree .
 The Council morons who The People voted in know exactly what they are doing .
 It is called "Drag everyone to the same level" , also known as communism , liberalism , leftism , and in my very well travelled experience it happens all over the world and is getting worse . Even the good ole' USofA is suffering from it . Problem families--or should we use the proper title of lazy gits -----are deliberately placed not to improve them , but to show the ordinary honest person where their money should be spent , and the honest people pay the taxes happy to see the back of the unwashed .
 I remember the estates , Kingshurst and Castle Vale being built on the fields we used to play on , and on the route we took on our bikes to get to Elmdon to watch the planes . We had to stop using that route when one of my mates got attacked on his bike and his bike pinched , and that was in broad daylight . We also had a lot of problems when drunks missed the last bus out of the city centre and spread pee and other stuff along the roads leading to the estates .
 It sounds as though it hasn't changed much .
 By the way , this is not a political rant , it's just an indication of how you end up as you get older and start to realise the truth .

Mike
Hi mike you got it in a nutshell in one but why are we the only ones who seem to notice it. speedy people moan about the state of balsall heath but i don.t remember it being this bad and the place certainly was a lot cleaner. speedy

phil48

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 06:41:38 PM »
speedy
went to solihull library today to see if they had any more photos but they had no more than kingshurst library so i went for a look at smiths wood i didnt know it as smiths wood then but presumed it was kingshurst my mates family moved from the top of meriden drive to tamar drive even the area he lived in has changed and there are all new houses down there they certainly didnt build them to last in those days!
phil

speedy

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »
speedy
went to solihull library today to see if they had any more photos but they had no more than kingshurst library so i went for a look at smiths wood i didnt know it as smiths wood then but presumed it was kingshurst my mates family moved from the top of meriden drive to tamar drive even the area he lived in has changed and there are all new houses down there they certainly didnt build them to last in those days!
phil
Hi phil i only live a short distance from where you are talking about but a lot of the property that has been knocked down and rebuilt there was nothing wrong with them that a little bit of updating would not have cured again its not the housing that is the problem its the bloody people they put into them they knocked down perfectly good bungalows down to put up bloody flats i know this as some of the people they move out of the bungalows were pensioners who did not want to move but as usual they were in the way so they had no say in the matter. speedy

gill53

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
Hello Phil  Where about on Kingshurst did you live, my Wife's Family used to live in Laburnum but had all left in the eighties.
I used to live on Laburnum Avenue when they were first built it was a great place to live left there when i was
18  What was your wifes family name ours was EYRE

nickcc

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
I used to live on Laburnum Avenue when they were first built it was a great place to live left there when i was
18  What was your wifes family name ours was EYRE
Hi  my Wife used to live on Laburnum until we married in 1970, nice area in those days.
Family name was Mann.
Nick

Helston Cornwall

SENSIBLE

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »
I remember Kingshurst being built in the 50's all those years ago -    :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Q5F1CHTnc
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

townie

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 09:33:19 PM »
Ive been around Kingshurst and the only pub I can see still standing is the Punchbowl What a shame.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy